Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
tcoz

MagnetoSpeed's effect on POI

One topic that always comes up when discussing the MagnetoSpeed is whether it has an effect and if so, how much on POI.  Most people don’t use it when they’re shooting groups but I want to share my experience from yesterday.  The 100 yard target was shot with the MagnetoSpeed attached and the 200 yard target was without.  The only change I made when going to 200 yards was dialing my scope up .4MIL which is exactly what my ballistic table called for after inputting the velocity determined by shooting the 100 yard target.  

The rifle is a Ruger Precision .308 and powder charge was 43.5gr of IMR4064 with a base to ogive length of 2.230 (.020 jump).

Obviously these results are for my rifle only and and yours may differ based on barrel harmonics but I wanted to illustrate that while the MagnetoSpeed May affect POI, it doesn’t always do so.

F88CECFD-25C3-45C4-BB4F-C026B482C3C7.jpeg

668DE11E-2D8F-412D-BE89-F1802DA49F21.jpeg

ChuckS, at 100 yards group size (extreme spread) in inches and MOA is the same.  At 200 yards group size in MOA is half what it is in inches.

Edited by tcoz

< a little thread drift>

I have used 1 MOA = 1" at 100 yards forever. But, being of unsound mind, when I see numbers agreeing to 3 decimal points, I get suspicious.

Solving backwards from your extreme spread, the only distance where 1.172" = 1.172 MOA is 95.493 yards... :D

< /a little thread drift>

ChuckS, don’t overthink this.  I inputted 100 yards as target distance and the Bullseye Camera System calculated MOA from the targets.  For all I know the distance could be 95 yards or it could be 105 yards.

The purpose if the post was to illustrate that it isn’t a given that the MagnetoSpred chronograph will affect POI.

As you said, a little thread drift...:)