Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Found a simple method to measure spring rate

igolfat8

Interesting method gigamortis. However, I wonder if your method would also include the weight of the pistol into the final spring weight measurement results?
Perhaps pushing "... just shy of bottoming out." would only read the spring force and not the weight of the pistol.

In any case, one could compare springs relatively, or trend results and replace springs when obviously weaker.

Just found out my digital scale only goes to 11 lbs.

On March 31, 2018 at 12:57 PM, Zmaniac said:

Nice tip!   I'm interested in using this method to measure when I need to replace the recoil spring.  So, can anyone provide data on how much a worn spring is reduced compared to a newer one?  Others from this forum suggested replacing when old spring is 3 coils shorter than the new one.  Just curious.  One way to answer my own question would be with a set of various spring weights and seeing which weight was too low.  

Recently I compared my 9# spring, currently in use ,to new ones. Recoil springs set after awhile and in my guns ,3 coil shorter is the norm.  Yesterday I tested my current spring against  two other new springs , just incase ,and all register the same poundage range.