Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How can I save 2 seconds on this stage (and hopefully on others)

tanks

Here is a stage I shot recently (16A, 9C, 3D). The GM time on it was 14.43 (mine 19.46) . I'd like to improve by two seconds to get to the next level eventually (C shooter). From my analysis I think I could have saved some time on transitions from steel to paper to back to paper and between the last two targets in the first array. Not sure what I could do better in movement hence my question. Thanks in advance.

Leave position sooner - could probably save you 1 sec out of the 4 positions in this stage.  You seem hesitant while leaving positions, not sure why.

And transitions, seem a bit slow.  If you can speed up transition by half milsecond on each target, that would save you another 1 second at least on this stage.    

The distance moving left to right and right to left after the reload look long enough to break your hands off gun to move faster. If you had GM footage I’m sure the difference would be more explosive movement and more aggressive splits/transitions.

You could also probably take that first target array by starting on the far targets first and then backing out on that full open target, swing to the right array and shoot that big open target moving into port. 

Shoot on the move into and out of the positions whenever possible.

As soon as you call the last shot of an array as good, you should be moving as explosively as possible to the next place. 

On the reload, you hesitated for a moment before initiating. As soon as you commit to leaving that position, you should have the magazine dropping and be going for the next. See what I said above. 

One of your biggest time savers (worth multiple seconds on this stage I'm guessing) is actually shooting faster. Drive that gun between targets like you mean it. With how close all the targets are, your splits and transitions should be nearly the same for every target. On array 1 for instance, it sounds like: bangbang   bang  bang   bang bang  bang bang.  It should probably sound more like: babang  bang bang bangbangbangbang. If that makes sense?

Move sooner. Feels like watching in slow motion. Rea the to the beep. Haul ass between positions. Drive that gun like you mean it. 

Once you are posted up and in position you are shooting solid. Getting in and out is what you need to work on. Hope this helps. 

You need to get moving sooner and shooting sooner. You wasted time dropping your gun into a low two handed grip then started moving. When you arrive you take while to get started shooting. It's hard to see in the video for sure but I bet you don't have much bend in your knees. You look like you are really bending your back and have tense shoulders. 

As gooldy stated you need to shoot more aggressive don't mistake that for faster. Splits will be whatever your sights tell you. Move the gun to the next target as soo as you have broken a good shot.

The biggest things I see are hesitation which stems from stage planning/mental burn in, this cascades into thinking through the stage which slows every movement. I’d say your shooting/transition skills far exceed you movement and execution skills between the shooting.  And the your points with 3d’s and 9C’s could/should be worked on after movement.

youre at the point where getting better at shooting probably needs to focus less on the actual shooting part of the game

1 hour ago, drewbeck said:

The biggest things I see are hesitation which stems from stage planning/mental burn in, this cascades into thinking through the stage which slows every movement. I’d say your shooting/transition skills far exceed you movement and execution skills between the shooting.  And the your points with 3d’s and 9C’s could/should be worked on after movement.

youre at the point where getting better at shooting probably needs to focus less on the actual shooting part of the game

No one who's in C class needs to focus less on the actual shooting part.  

Especially if one is dropping that many points.  That's a ton of points down.

There’s no question the points down cost a lot on THAT stage and THAT match, but I doubt the skill isn’t in place to go from 16A to 95% of points available if that was the immediate focus.

slowing down a couple tenths will likely yield good points but hf won’t be huge difference. The biggest improvement will come from moving faster and more efficiently and then taking then 10ths to ensure what it takes to get good hits.

I don’t care what his class is or what a “c” class should or shouldn’t be, I’m only giving an opinion on what I see

Next time, have a buddy film you, just like that. Then try to catch an A/M/GM in the same division running through it, and compare the videos. 

It shows how the little things add up quickly. A bit quicker in transitions, more agressive exits, faster on the reload...

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Be honest OP, Are you looking at the holes in the target?  

Seems like you were looking at the target you just shot when as you start moving to the next position. 

If you are doing that, stop!

When I watched it I though yiuooked better than the C class shooters I see. 

I'd say you can get to the first shot a little sooner?  Though, that 1st position on that stage may have been a little awkward. 

Also, try to start the reload sooner and get it done sooner. 

I'd also say move sooner and more aggressive.

Still looked close to a B run to me.  

Gotta cut the number of C's in half and no D's at all. 

Edited by B_RAD

Figure it out yourself.

:)

Every aspect of that stage can be set up in practice sessions. I like to get the timer out and start with what I felt like I was worse at and see what I can learn. For me it would 1st be the 3 target port array, did I need target focus or front sight focus, if I did it right was there ever a time when I felt like I fully stopped or did it just feel like shooting while slowing down and finishing while starting away, how did it feel when I focused only on speed & did not worry about hits, stuff like that.