Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone own a PCC/AR15 in .40cal

I shoot Limited major and Single Stack major in .40cal. Actually almost all of my handguns are chambered in .40cal. Anyone own a PCC/AR15 chambered in .40cal? Was looking at buying one since it would use the same ammo that I have more then enough of laying around. Wanting something that uses Glock Mags since they're plentiful and cheap compared to something like the Rock River Arms Lar-40 that uses a special magazine that's $55 each.

I own a few. The first one I bought was a Just Right carbine. Mine works pretty well, with only the occasional malfunction, but I have a few friends who also bought one and have more frequent issues.  I also have an AR pistol and a carbine that I built from parts. I had to do some work to get the pistol to run in the beginning. It's good to go now though. The carbine has been pretty good from the start. They all use glock mags. I tried one of the longer ETS mags. It's a no-go for all of them, the round always comes out too high and jams into the top of the barrel extension. So you might wanna steer clear of those for 40 cal. 

Edited by gdcguns

I had the same thought when looking to jump into PCC (stick with the same ammo).  I took a Quarter Circle 10 barrel had it cut down and Precision Armament M4-72 comp that was opened up welded in place, then set it in an ASA side charging upper with matched glock lower (looks to be outsourced to QC10).  Since QC10 .40 bolts are never in stock I use a CMMG Bolt which i had Dixie Precision machine the face to accept .40 and carrier rail to run glock mags.  Buffer is KAW Valley 7.5oz w/ .308 spring; and she flat runs never had one issue with factory glock mags.  As gdc said stay away from ETS they are absolute junk.

I put together an AR with the purpose of shooting up my .40 ammo that I loaded for shooting Limited that I don’t do any more. It took a little tuning on the bolt to get it running right, but now it runs great with Glock mags. The NFA bolt was too long at the bottom the way it was shipped, so had to trim about .1” from it for reliable feeding. Recoil is similar to my 9mm rifles even with major ammo. 

44 minutes ago, chuckstur said:

Olympic Arms makes one.  LRBHO works great.  Buy the 10mm magazines if you load long.  I milled a lower to use 2011 magazines so I will sell you some Olys for 1/2 price.  Middle TN if you want to shoot one. 

How's the quality of the Olympic Arms? It came up online when I searched 40cal AR15. 

1 hour ago, Hawk21 said:

I had the same thought when looking to jump into PCC (stick with the same ammo).  I took a Quarter Circle 10 barrel had it cut down and Precision Armament M4-72 comp that was opened up welded in place, then set it in an ASA side charging upper with matched glock lower (looks to be outsourced to QC10).  Since QC10 .40 bolts are never in stock I use a CMMG Bolt which i had Dixie Precision machine the face to accept .40 and carrier rail to run glock mags.  Buffer is KAW Valley 7.5oz w/ .308 spring; and she flat runs never had one issue with factory glock mags.  As gdc said stay away from ETS they are absolute junk.

QC10 bolts and NFA bolts are currently all out of stock. QC10 16in barrels are also out of stock. Makes me wonder if everyone loves or hates the .40 AR15. Parts are hard to find in stock.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:52 PM, bjones6686 said:

How's the quality of the Olympic Arms? It came up online when I searched 40cal AR15. 

I bought 2 uppers to go with my 2011 lowers, one for each kid, plus spare extractors and ejectors which I have not needed.  I believe the breech is enclosed by the barrel extension, which is not the case with most 9mm ARs, but verify this.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/21/2018 at 2:17 PM, JOThompson said:

No but I'll be getting the Sig MPX Gen 2 upper and barrel in .40 if/when they are ever released...

Any idea of when the MPX Gen2 upper and barrel in .40 will be released? That has my name all over it. Think I might message Sig and see if they have dates set. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard nothing...starting to seem more like vapor (although I thought the same about the barrel conversion kits on the MCX and those eventually came around, and Sig made it up to Gen 1 owners). I asked my Sig dealer and he didn't know either. I haven't contacted Sig directly.