Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Don’t take new equipment to a match

jerkeejoe

I was having some mag problems at a local match a few days before a level 2 (Glock 35). Had a buddy that had some mags with different base pads (TTI vs my Dawson) that he wasn't using so I borrowed them. Well, his mags didn't seat in the gun as easily at mine did and 4 times during the match I didn't seat the mag and it fell out while I was shooting. Figured it cost me 8-10 seconds over the course of the match. Never will I do that again. 

• 1 month later...

Guilty of this and it cost me forty seconds on a par time stage. Double feed on my AR and both bullets made it into the locking lugs. Had to dig it out with my pocket knife. Argh don’t take untested equipment to a match, should’ve known better!

On 4/26/2018 at 6:03 AM, Miggz55 said:

Id add to this, clean your equipment well before a match. I had several failures this weekend due to filthy conditions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add always function test the clean equipment before the match!

Half the time I'm only able to get my equipment to fail at a match so I just run it and hope for the best but only at Level 1 non-points matches. I won't take new gear to Level 2 or higher matches. 

• 2 months later...

I had a bullseyes match a few days ago with a total of 72 rounds and unfortuanelty,I used handloads that were load and made by someone else. Of those 6 handholds not go off. since there is no alibis and this was a time event I lost 60 points 

• 1 month later...

Last month I took a new to me S&W 5906 to a match.  I had never fired the pistol.  I had just done a deep cleaning and lube on it.  Went to an open bay before the match and got the sights dialed in.  20 rounds total through the gun now.

Went on to shoot the match with the 5906.  It was my first time shooting a DA/SA pistol.  I lost a bit of time searching for the trigger at the beginning of each stage.  I dropped on position from my normal.