Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G19 vs G17 Dot Movement In Carry Optics?

jkrispies

I’m thinking a bit about Carry Optics, both in competition and for “real life” now that my vision is going south.  For those who may have handled both...  In terms of dot movement, I’m wondering if the G19 shoots much differently than the G17 due to the shorter barrel/guide rod/spring.  I already have an RMR on hand and like my TTI modified G17, so I’m thinking about having TTI work up a CO gun for me on the chance that I score a Glock cert.  I’ve got Glock mags and gear galore, so it makes sense for me to look in that direction.  Thanks for the input, J

I have a G19 & a G17, both gen 3's, with RMR's.  The only difference in dot movement to me is that I get a little bit better grip on the G17 due to the larger frame size.  I shoot them both a lot, but I carry the G19 every day, so that's the one I practice with more often.  Now with the X300U and TBRCI comp on the 17, it's no contest, but that's not really a fair comparison.

Edited by 1981Shooter

Larger Frame on the 17/34 makes handling a bit easier compared to the 19. I used a 17MOS for CO with Delta Point Pro but eventually went 34 with 13lb recoil spring and I like the heavier slide. A larger frame for grip makes a difference for dot tracking and grip for some people. 

This is one of those answers that will vary from user to user (because of the way Glock ergos are);

A big factor is how your specific hand shape/size interfaces with the (odd) Glock grip of the 19 frame or the 17 frame.  Some shooters shoot the 19 better than the 17.  The reverse is also true.

I recommend trying both out, for yourself.

Edited by blueorison