Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

United Multi-Gun League?

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Local match near me is now running off UML rules starting this month. It definitely seems to be gaining in popularity. I like the reconfiguration rule so I can have both a short and long distance uppers. 

11 hours ago, Chip3 said:

Thanks.Need to try it out.

As far as I know its the only UML run match in the area. When my pistol and shotgun come in I'll probably be going there more than other locals. Due to proximity and that I've heard good things about that match. PM me if you decide to go. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Mark,

Is UML making any headway in the central US and East coast areas?  I wish three gun hadn't fallen so far off everyone's books.  I remember the day you had to be sitting at your computer to get registered for matches the min they opened. : (

1 hour ago, Blurryvisions said:

Mark,

Is UML making any headway in the central US and East coast areas?  I wish three gun hadn't fallen so far off everyone's books.  I remember the day you had to be sitting at your computer to get registered for matches the min they opened. : (

UML seems pretty common in WI. I've shot enough of it to have a very neutral opinion now. Its okay for a club match where half the people are just there to have fun and being able to shoot any gun in their collection in any of the 27 divisions appeals to them. It also works out great for first timers. 

I don't like it in a major match though where people are actually wanting to gauge their skill against pros using similar guns in similar divisions.

There are matches in Tulsa and Houston. I don't think you will see a lot if any matches put on by Pete out east just due to travel costs unless the host club has everything needed.

Any club can download a copy of the rules and start using them. They can also pick and choose which divisions they allow at a match. Limiting divisions helps deepen the pool in each.

On 10/25/2019 at 7:28 PM, TonytheTiger said:

UML seems pretty common in WI. I've shot enough of it to have a very neutral opinion now. Its okay for a club match where half the people are just there to have fun and being able to shoot any gun in their collection in any of the 27 divisions appeals to them. It also works out great for first timers. 

I don't like it in a major match though where people are actually wanting to gauge their skill against pros using similar guns in similar divisions.

Is it fair to say that you feel there are too many divisions?  If so, are you more aligned with just the traditional divisions or can you expand on what improvements could be made that don't just cut out everything but the top 3?  Thank you!

18 hours ago, teddym90 said:

Is it fair to say that you feel there are too many divisions?  If so, are you more aligned with just the traditional divisions or can you expand on what improvements could be made that don't just cut out everything but the top 3?  Thank you!

Not so much that there's too many divisions so much as its just not a 3 gun match anymore. Its an anything goes match. I like the standard 3 division 3 gun, and like to go to a 3 gun match and shoot against people with 3 guns. Not 2. Not 4. Not 1.

I'm sure my thoughts are similar to how a lot of USPSA guys feel about PCC. Sure you're not directly competing against those guys, but thats besides the point.

If it brings in new people to small club matches and gets them hooked great, I'm all for that and am willing to get off my traditional 3 gun high horse if it grows the sport. But I haven't witnessed that in my area.

6 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Not so much that there's too many divisions so much as its just not a 3 gun match anymore. Its an anything goes match. I like the standard 3 division 3 gun, and like to go to a 3 gun match and shoot against people with 3 guns. Not 2. Not 4. Not 1.

I'm sure my thoughts are similar to how a lot of USPSA guys feel about PCC. Sure you're not directly competing against those guys, but thats besides the point.

If it brings in new people to small club matches and gets them hooked great, I'm all for that and am willing to get off my traditional 3 gun high horse if it grows the sport. But I haven't witnessed that in my area.

Got it.  It seems to me the toughest part for folks is that some competitors want to see an overall score or compare against the field.  I want to beat my buddies that are in my division.  I just don't get the disdain for other people out having fun with us just because they have different guns... that's just me... we're all out here with opinions sharing ideas.  I've never had a more positive response to a match than when I started running UML rules and that was all the feedback I needed to tell me it was a good move.

Tony is right. It's not a 3 gun match anymore. Just like adding PCC to a pistol match.

It does make comparing overalls more difficult. It does change the flavor and flow of a match. It does change stage design. Something that you don't see in most UML matches I've shot is close hoseing static shotgun clays.  This is because those targets need to be able to be shot with pistol rounds too so they are at 10 yds and steel.

On the plus side I know people that have shot the 2 gun matches that wouldn't have shot a true 3 gun as well as USPSA PCC people that came out to the UML match weekend. Not new shooters, but regular shooters coming out more often.

20 hours ago, teddym90 said:

I just don't get the disdain for other people out having fun with us just because they have different guns... that's just me... we're all out here with opinions sharing ideas.  

Disdain is a strong word, for me at least. More like a mild annoyance that the attitude in multigun has changed. It used to be that you had strong points and weak spots in your game. If you sucked at shotgun loading you practiced it. That was how you got better. 

Now if you suck at something the standard approach is to shoot a division that omits that problem. To the point that if you're horrible at everything but PCC you can shoot 2x4 and shoot 190 of 200 rounds with your PCC and do well without being the well rounded shooter that traditional 3 gun requires.

I shoot  UML & have shot many regular 3-gun matches in the past. Not sure, kind of like cable, if you don't like it change the channel.  The problem is our area traditional 3-gun has pretty much died out and UML is what is left. I enjoy shooting both. I am a PCC shooter in USPSA, but would not hesitate to shoot a regular 3-gun match and not 2x4 UML.  We all have strong points & particular guns, why not shoot what we are good at and enjoy. Nice thing about UML is it lets you do that.

I guess what I am saying if you think there are too many "easy" divisions in UML, shoot regular 3-gun and have fun or just shoot whatever division you like in UML and don't look at overall if they even list it. Compare yourself within your division.

gerritm

Tony is right. It's not a 3 gun match anymore. Just like adding PCC to a pistol match.

It does make comparing overalls more difficult. It does drain some pools. It does change the flavor and flow of a match. It does change stage design. Something that you don't see in most UML matches I've shot is close hoseing static shotgun clays.  This is because those targets need to be able to be shot with pistol rounds too so they are at 10 yds and steel.

On the plus side I know people that have shot the 2 gun matches that wouldn't have shot a true 3 gun as well as USPSA PCC people that came out to the UML match weekend. Not new shooters, but regular shooters coming out more often.

The last comments about well rounded are I think why I don't really enjoy shooting my KL12. It isn't a shotgun. Its a rifle that shoots birdshot. I grew up shooting shotguns and birds so I enjoyed my vent rib SX3. The birdshot rifle may be more competitive, but it isn't as fun or as pure.

Atlanta 3-Gun operates under UML in the Southeast. My thoughts are similar to Tony's, except I do think it is bringing more people into Multigun at a pretty crucial moment. Participation at most Major and club matches are way down in alot of places, so if being able to shoot PCC at a 3-gun match on 90% of the targets brings in enough folks to keep a match from going under than I am 100% for it!

A3G uses orange painted steel for shotgun only so there is a minimum amount of shotgun required for every stage anyway, and its generally a lot. As long as there are no overall results posted than people who want to be competitive in 3-gun are pushed towards Tac Ops or Open where their standing is more meaningful. People who are excited to be 1st out of nine 2x4  shooters at a match can do their thing. Those 9 shooters coming let the match break even. Would they have come anyway without 2x4? I don't know. Will they eventually transition to a more traditional division? I don't know. But without the match staying in business we are all screwed. If 2x4 started taking over the Division participation figures I would not love that. 

I tried 2x4 tac a few times but it wasn't for me. But I am a big tent "Lets keep this thing alive" kind of guy. 

Slightly off topic. Thinking out loud, since it appears that the 3 gun attendance slump is nationwide, anyone have a guess as to why that is? The last year and a half around here has seen a significant downturn. I know some MD's had high hopes for UML picking it back up, but so far that hasn't been the case.

11 hours ago, Blockader said:

I tried 2x4 tac a few times but it wasn't for me. But I am a big tent "Lets keep this thing alive" kind of guy. 

I actually would like to try it, but hauling 4 guns around sounds horrible to me. I have enough trouble with 3...

Also I hope it doesn't appear that my opinion is that I'd rather it was traditional 3 gun or no match at all. If I saw UML driving participation numbers up that would be great. But in my area all I've seen is 3 gun club matches that used to get 50-70 shooters split into 3 divisions and plenty of talent, to UML matches with 15-30 shooters spread across 7 divisions where you can look around at registration and accurately predict everyone's match scores because the heat doesn't show up anymore.

I'm not in any way implying that this lack of shooters is because of UML, simply that its concurrent with UML even though it was touted as a way to supercharge participation.