Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Understanding Recoil Springs.

HerdThinner

This may have been asked 1000 times but I can’t seem to find the answer or I just don’t grasp it.   Probably both.  

In theory the recoil spring if you change the 10 pound spring which is currently in my 2011 to an 8 for the 9mm

This would be better suited for my “bunny fart” aka low FPS loads.  Although the 8lb will still run the hotter load malfunctions can occur with the lighter spring along with the heavier loads hammering the slide back into battery.  

I’m just making sure my mind is right

No, the lighter spring and heavier loads won't hammer the slide back into battery.  The lighter recoil spring will exert less forward force to return the slide into battery.  

The lighter spring CAN allow the rearward motion of the slide to hammer the frame as it slams backward into it.  In the worse case, running a spring that is too light MAY (or may not) cause a damaged frame.  

19 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

No, the lighter spring and heavier loads won't hammer the slide back into battery.  The lighter recoil spring will exert less forward force to return the slide into battery.  

The lighter spring CAN allow the rearward motion of the slide to hammer the frame as it slams backward into it.  In the worse case, running a spring that is too light MAY (or may not) cause a damaged frame.  

You are correct sir.  I was thinking that but wrote it incorrect.  Thank you.  

What about the springs in comparison to the FPS of the loads (major vs minor loads).  

Edited by HerdThinner

There are guys at my local matches shooting major 40 with 11lb recoil springs that have no damage to their frames (2011s, one CZ TS). I think the risk of actual frame damage is pretty low if you underspring a gun.

The test I have ran is to have someone watch me shoot two rounds as fast as I can into a target. If the second shot is high, it means the recoil spring is too weak (slide is returning to battery too slow). If the second round is low, the recoil spring is too heavy (slide is returning too quickly and causing a dip).

People talk about using your ejection patterns to determine recoil spring rate. I personally only care about how quickly I can get shots on target. The brass can go wherever it wants.

5 hours ago, IsaacB said:

There are guys at my local matches shooting major 40 with 11lb recoil springs that have no damage to their frames (2011s, one CZ TS). I think the risk of actual frame damage is pretty low if you underspring a gun.

The test I have ran is to have someone watch me shoot two rounds as fast as I can into a target. If the second shot is high, it means the recoil spring is too weak (slide is returning to battery too slow). If the second round is low, the recoil spring is too heavy (slide is returning too quickly and causing a dip).

People talk about using your ejection patterns to determine recoil spring rate. I personally only care about how quickly I can get shots on target. The brass can go wherever it wants.

i completely agree. a buddy of mine was talking about ejection patterns. i just wrote it off. grip pressure plays a huge part in follow up shots so i usually practice a whole day before i decide to tune with springs so my grip is at its most consistent.

11 hours ago, tcazes said:

i completely agree. a buddy of mine was talking about ejection patterns. i just wrote it off. grip pressure plays a huge part in follow up shots so i usually practice a whole day before i decide to tune with springs so my grip is at its most consistent.

That's a great point as well. The 'right' spring could change as you develop and/or get used to your pistol.

11 minutes ago, 2011BLDR said:

Huge difference between Standard (straight wound) and Variable recoil springs.. 

I'm certain you are correct, but would you mind elaborating for those of us who are not 100% clear on the difference?

for me, a light spring with major loads, may not damage the frame but I do feel the sensation or "bang", when the slide comes back.    And that just doesn't feel right when your shooting.

when setting up my gun with the springs, I like to think of the analogy , if you will,  of a pickup truck with a heavy load.   if the suspension or springs are too light, what happens?    it bottoms out on the bumps.    if the pickup truck has no load on it and the suspension is too stiff, you get a rough ride.

that is  why shock buffs are really useless.    if your running the correct spring to your load, where the slide just barely bottoms out on the guide rod head, then you alright but if the slide is slamming against the GRH, that's not good and worst if your running a shock buffs that will get torn up.

proper grip and front sight focus + the right spring = fast shooting.

JMO

example not exact numbers:

12 LB Standard is just that compresses at 12LB,  stores 12LB and decompress at 12LB.  

12 Variable starts compression at 8LB builds to 12LB, stores 12LB, initial decompression at 12LB reducing back to the 8LB at finial lock up.