Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left handed thumb rest that mounts in existing DVC Open sight mount

jrdoran

Title pretty much says it all, but I have a new DVC Steel gun that I'd like a *thumb rest [generic]* / thumb rest.  Problem is I'm left handed.  I'd rather not have several new holes in the frame on the 'right' side to mount a thumb rest and I'm wondering if there is any type of thumb rest that sort of wraps underneath and around to the right side while mounting on the left side sight mount holes.    

I know this sounds a bit convoluted.  

I am a lefty and like the RHT. I had to shave it a bit to fit flush to the frame on the right hand side and fits over the slide release bar or whatever its called... but yes, had to drill the frame. Adding one to my limited gun.

8 hours ago, jrdoran said:

That is kind of what I was figuring.   Is there a particular 'right side' mounted thumb rest that is recommended ?  I've only found the double alpha one so far. 

http://www.evergladesammo.com/shooting-accessories/handgun-parts/1911-2011-handgun-parts/everglades-1911-thumb-rest.html

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:23 PM, Bdh821 said:

Lefty thumb rest :D. Now that I figured out how to reduce the size of my pictures I figured I'd post a pic

image.jpeg

You don't have any ejection issues? Between the thumb rest and the optic mount, it looks a little tight. 

That gun runs flawless. The only problems I had with the gun was when the stock optic mount was used. I have a "tuned" aftec extractor too.  When the gun is fully unlocked, the barrel just clears the thumb rest. The one on the evil hand site doesn't mimic the dimensions as the one on my gun. Basically, the cone part that prevents my thumb fat from getting pinched is shorter opening up that area more. Even tho it wasn't an issue

Edited by Bdh821

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to get hold of the 'evil hand' thumb rest, but no luck yet.   Web site says not store is not accepting payments.  I really like the evil hand rest over the others I've found. 

UPS says mine should arrive today.  Great fast shipping.   

I'll need to goto my gunsmith for drill/tap frame to mount.  Any advice, suggestions that I should take with me ?    

I'm assuming 5-40 screws like most mounts are recommended.

Location is personal preference. I clamped it on my gun to figure out where I liked it. I center lined it off the slide stop pin for height. Once again, it's all personal preference.  5-40 screws seems to be the norm for mounting hardware. 

Edited by Bdh821

Dropped it off at gunsmith.    I'll probably put a piece of grip tape on it once mounted.   From your pics BDH821, looks like mine will be a little bit more forward towards the muzzle on mine which is kind of surprising given I don't have huge hands.   The holes are 3/8 apart so I can always move it forward/back by a hole ( doesn't need all 4 to hold it ), but 3/8 is a rather larger amount to move the rest at one time.    

Should have it back in a couple days.