Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak hand only - middle finger on trigger?

njl

I'm going to be shooting my first IDPA classifier in a few days, and in practicing for it, the weak hand only string is, I think, my biggest weakness, having almost never practiced one handed shooting, and certainly not weak hand.  I was just doing some dry fire practice (weak hand only) and had a crazy idea.  I'm shooting a Glock, and I'm seeing the gun move much more than I'd like as the trigger breaks.  It occurred to me...what if I put my trigger finger along the frame to give the gun some more stabilization and pull the trigger with my middle finger?  Doing that, it seems like I'm seeing a lot less movement of the sights as the trigger breaks.  

I don't know if I'll have time to try this with live fire before the classifier.  Given my accuracy lefty, I don't know that I have much to lose.  Anyone else do/try this?

I wouldn't recommend this. Seems like you could slow the slide down with your index finger and induce a malfunction. Also, it seems you could push the gun around with your index finger on the frame. It would provide a terrible grip that's not consistent with a normal grip. Lastly, just no. 

Weak hand is my nemesis too.  The best advice - practice!  

I don't LIKE to practice weak hand, because I am so bad at it.  However, I do find that I shoot any weak hand stage better when I recently put some time in shooting weak hand...  

I would not use middle finger for trigger. Only way to get better at weakhand is to go shoot weakhand. One thing that helps is to slightly roll wrist out, not inward like gangsta style. 

I googled it, and I'm not exactly the first to come up with the idea :)

I doubt I'll use it unless I can make it to the range before the match to see if it works with live ammo.

For one handed, index finger on the trigger, how firm a grip is recommended?

Grip the gun like you are about to shoot it with one hand.... grip it hard dude. Always.

If you are right handed then put your left foot out in front of your right about 10-15” (dependent on comfort) turn your shoulders about 15-20 degrees to the right. Grip the pistol hard with your left hand but not so hard you can’t hit the target( practice this, all this). Place 60-70% of your weight on your left foot, sort of lean in to it...extending your left arm with the pistol. Make a fist with your right hand and hold hold it in your left shoulder where the torso meets the shoulder(legal position) for extra support and steadiness ...Aim. FIRE. 

I also like to shoot left to right right if I can choose when WHO. Good luck dude. Video it. 

Ok...I snuck out to the range this afternoon for a bit of one handed practice.  Using advice from this thread, and perhaps benefitting from a whole bunch of dry fire practice the past few nights, I was able to keep the majority of my shots down 0 or 1, just a few 3 (and nothing worse).  I did fire a few shots left hand middle finger and decided it was too awkward feeling to be worth pursuing.

One thing I did to get better at SHO/WHO was go out and shoot that way with a .44mag. When I went back to 9mm, it was nothing. It was my Chuck Norris technique, not afraid to shoot with one hand, just shoot. 

Classifier is done.  I made it through stage 1 reasonably well.  PD = 10, no misses, IIRC, I even got all the head shots +0.  I ended up on the "better end" of Marksman (was unclassified, having only shot two or three IDPA matches previously).  I pretty much knew I'd make Marksman, but was hoping for a super day and Sharpshooter.

Edited by njl

• 4 months later...

I wouldn't suggest it.  Lots of people don't have much strength at all in their ring and little fingers, especially on their off hand.  If that's the case for you, then you could very easily be taking away 90% of your available grip strength, and using it to work the trigger.