Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Route To Hannibal / Quincy / Barry?

I did a search of the forums and didn't come up with anything so here goes:

What's the best (fastest) route to the Nationals from Central Texas (Austin)?

Mapquest has me taking this route for a total of 957 miles to our hotel in Hannibal.

Yahoo suggests this route at 916 miles.

Also, what about the projected times? Both web sites travel times suggests a 65mph average speed. Is this realistic?

Thanks in advance,

-Chet

The key to driving long distances and maintaining a high avg speed is limiting your stops. Pack a cooler with drinks and snacks that is within reach. Also, avoid big cities at rush hour times and if you can't do that, plan a route around it.

When I drove from Ft. Myers (FL) to Indy in one day it was 1163 miles in 17 hours = 68.4 mph and that included going through Tampa/St. Pete and Atlanta, around Nashville (b/c I hit it at rush hour) and through Louisville.

It can be done. ;)

I can tell you that from Shreveport, the best way is I-30 to Little Rock, I-40 to Memphis, I-55 to St Louis. ALL INTERSTATE! The only traffic to avoid is rush hour in ST Louis. One year, Kay, Jerry and I dropped off her kids with their father in Soper, OK. The drive from there was tedious, toll roads, speed zones through small towns, etc.

Chet,

IMHO --- and it's based on East Coast congestion --- Interstates are the way to go. Try to plan your trip so you can avoid cities at rush hour. If this is unavoidable, plan to stop for a leisurly dinner at a decent place to eat. In some ways it'll come down to your temperament too ---- while I can drive like a madman without stopping, that's usually limited to about 4 hours or 250 miles. On longer drives, I'll stop when I feel I need to, for as long as I need to. Sometimes, it's just a trip to the head and a coffee refill, other times it's doing that and reading a book for twenty minutes or playing some video games, still others it's a dinner stop. Since Carol's going to vacation in the Holiday Inn in Quincy, we'll split the driving into two 500 mile days ---- she's not happy about more than 8 hours in a car......

I can tell you that from Shreveport, the best way is I-30 to Little Rock, I-40 to Memphis, I-55 to St Louis.  ALL INTERSTATE!

From Austin, all you need to add is "IH-35 to Dallas, I-30 to Little Rock". I've gone through Memphis this way to get to Cincinnati, before. Except for the IH-35 stint, everything until Nashville was nice and calm, too. Nothing major on I-55 between Memphis and St. Louis - it looks like it ought to be a rather calm drive, that way.... unless there's construction somewhere... :)

Good luck!

I can tell you that from Shreveport, the best way is I-30 to Little Rock, I-40 to Memphis, I-55 to St Louis.  ALL INTERSTATE!

From Austin, all you need to add is "IH-35 to Dallas, I-30 to Little Rock". I've gone through Memphis this way to get to Cincinnati, before. Except for the IH-35 stint, everything until Nashville was nice and calm, too. Nothing major on I-55 between Memphis and St. Louis - it looks like it ought to be a rather calm drive, that way.... unless there's construction somewhere... :)

Good luck!

I55 from memphis to st. louis is an easy 4.5 hour ride.

lynn

If you take US61 N into Hannibal don't plan on making 65mph. Last year it was very slow, lots and lots of construction and one very nice 4 inch high step in the pavement that I hit at 85+ trying to make up for lost time (I think I'm about an inch shorter now after compressing my spine when I hit it!)

Nolan

We decided on I-35N out of Austin to 44E at Oklahoma City ($7.00 in tolls), 19N at Cuba to 61N into Hannibal.

931 miles and 14.5 hours (including gas and food stops). ~64mph average. B)

We're pleased.

-Chet