Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power Pistol - Bianchi 38 Super

Service Desk

Many years ago, I tried to get Power Pistol to work in my Trubor 38s with 115's...by the time I got the gun to ALMOST cycle, the primers were very flattened and smeared, and the fireballs were enormous and bright white. 

Look in your local gun store, see if they have any Longshot, it is fairly cheap and will do what you need it to do better than Power Pistol.

I think that would be a good place to start.  I used that 5.5 gr Power Pistol load in my 9mm Target Master for PPC and it worked well.  It looks like the max 9mm loads are in the 32000 psi range and the 38 super max loads are in the 34000 psi range so using the max 9mm data should be safe.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/reloads.htm

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=8&cartridge=23

I have used Power Pistol in a Bianchi revolver and it works the comp well.  The downside is more perceived recoil, especially shooting in an indoor range due to it's flashy nature.

Edited by toothguy

my trick... do a google search on Bob marvel ,Joe chambers... they have pictures from testtargets with the load written on it :-)

one of Joe Chambers 4gr bullseye 125gr xtp (I know it is not power pistol)

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/please-explain-38-super-to-me.36730/

in 9mm the 115gr load for power pistol is 6.1gr, (50y load, big flash, loud bang)

or check the bullseye l forum for 38super loads

gr T

• 2 weeks later...

In my 9mm Action gun 5.0 gns of Power Pistol under a 115gn HAP produces an average of 1107 fps with an ES of 32fps. That was over a 10 shot string. There was one low reading of 1070fps that screwed the ES and AVG. Accuracy was really good, basically all shots touched at 25 yards. I left the 38 Super ammo at home by mistake, but will give them a try this weekend. If they shoot as well as my 9mm loads I wil be very happy indeed.

I'm shooting Power Pistol in .38 Special (revo) with excellent results. In a Ransom Rest, 3/8" groups at 25 yards, one little ragged hole. About 1-1/4" or so at 50 yds. I wish I could shoot like that without a Ransom Rest. The load is 6.5 gr. PP, 125 gr. Zero JHP, Fed. 100 primer, Starline case. To me, the main benefit is the low recoil. Used with a good comp, the large gas volume really cuts down on muzzle flip. I think that is the source of all the noise and flash. Should be great in a comped .38 Super.

I think it may have an advantage over TG/Bullseye/N320 in 38 Super and Special due to the increased case volume, since it's a bulkier powder. In the tiny 9mm that wasn't my experience. That's pure speculation.

Well I shot about a hundred Power Pistol loads in my 38 Super.... 5.5 grains gave a big velocity spread of 60fps, averaged 1107fps and accuracy was about 2" at 25 yards. All in all, not very encouraging ...... I am going to try pushing it up to 5.8 grains to see if the accuracy can be improved.

4.2 grains of VV310 gave an Average of 1117 fps with an ES of 14 fps, accuracy was better and recoil seemed softer.

I was interested in the handling difference between a fast powder and a slow powder in the Super.... at this stage faster seems softer and more consistent over the chrono.

• 4 months later...