Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Great 2# Drop In Triogger Kit!

Adam B

By virtue of the z Glock design, the pull weight of the trigger does have a direct impact on the reliability of the weapon. With the entire firing pin mechanism being compressed by the trigger pull, how can it be any other way? You can't get something for nothing.

Newton's law: Every action has an opposite and equal reaction.

Now there's some mechanical advantage (leverage) at play here, but within the confines of z Glock design....

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a finite amount of inertia necessary to ignite a primer.

As long as the amount of inertia is reached, it does not matter how much force is used to cock the striker, as long as it is enough. Anything more is overkill.

That's what I meant by, the pull weight does not matter.. IF.. it is done right.

I came to this pistol game directly from shooting my Anschutz 54 action in rimfire silhouette. Between shooting bulleye with the High Standard target pistol and the Anschutz trigger think I have a rough idea of a decent trigger and what it feels like. If pull weight makes now difference in shooting ability why do the benchrest boys all play with ounces instead of pounds?

Yes, the indian has a little something to do with it, but the analogy of which wing of the air plane is more important comes to mind right away. TGO or Sevigney could kick my rear with a $175 Ivor Johnson 9mm, but there are equipment choices that facilitate good shooting. When it comes down to it, if you think that an investment in anyone's trigger or anyones pistol for that matter is going to take you from a D shooter to an A shooter you don't understand the game. By the same token, your performance can be enhanced with proper equipment. To perform at peak you need both wings of the air plane to make it fly.

Thanks for the info on the trigger kit everyone - look forward to trying it out and like someone else said, if I don't like I, I can always put the other parts back in and I'm not out a lot of money.

Folks, when TDean tells you something about a Glock, it might be prudent not to dismiss it too quickly. ;) He is one of about a half-dozen guys to make Grand Master with a Glock in Limited.

While I do like the airplane wing analogy, we aren't flying planes...we aren't shooting bulleye...were aren't chasing the X-ring at 50 yards. We do have the rare mini-popper at 35 yards, however. :)

I am all for a good trigger and good sights on the Glock. Couple that with a gun that runs all the time and the fact that it hits where it is pointed...what more does a shooter need? (Splits and transitions are fine too. ;) )

I don't really care for the stock trigger and sights that come on the Glocks. But, it doesn't take a huge pile of money to clean up a Glock trigger to be competitive at the highest levels of USPSA and IDPA.

I run the 25 cent do-it-yourself trigger job. I have never (to my recollection) been beat by a production type gun with a $200+ trigger job.

I do have my trigger bar drilled to accept the trigger "return" spring in different locations[1]. Couple that with a Glockmeister trigger spring[2] (I have seen the new Wolff trigger spring break) and a Wolff Reduced Power Striker Spring[3] and I can tailor the trigger feel quite a bit.

[Note: only run a combination of two of the three things mentioned above...or expect failures.]

I do have an over-travel stop on my gun, but I like some over-travel. So, it doesn't get much use.

I guess what I am getting at is...

Do something to improve your Glock trigger from stock. It should help. Don't feel the need to spend hundreds of dollar$ doing so. You'd likely be better off stick a dime on the front sight and practicing trigger control without knocking the dime off.

Flex, I see that you respect TDean and his opinion and he obviously knows what he is talking about by his demonstration of his skills. You go on to say what you have done to your trigger. Airplanes or not you still modified your trigger as do most seeking performance enhancement. Very few in the game play with a stock trigger.

It's not all about no work and just trying to buy the next level of performance because that is never going to fly. If think that you are right in that more benefit might be realized by learning things like good trigger control to begin with and movement from box to box or other fundamental issues of the game than the benefit of a spiffed up trigger, but it is part of the package not the whole package.

TDean, thanks for your input on the matter. Your point is well taken in that I do see some that work these triggers to an unsafe level. Most of the people that have shot at many matches have all heard of stories of triggers doubling etc (not just specific to Glocks by the way). Learning proper technique is where the majority of the gains are to be made.

Rick

I tend to agree with what Flexmoney stated. Stock triggers on Glocks can be a hindrance. I've seen some that are worse than others. A bit of polishing and a set of springs can fix that right up for about eleven dollars and twenty-five cents ($11 for the springs and $.25 for the polish). I would contend that a reasonably talented shooter wouldn't be able to improve his game going from a 2.5-3.5Lb trigger to a 1.5-2.5Lb trigger.

However, I have dry-fired a 1.5Lb trigger on a Glock. I have no idea how reliable it was, but it sure felt nice.

One thing that I don't undertand is why people drill a new hole for the trigger return spring when one can simply get a stronger spring and use that without changing the angle. Anyone know?

One thing that I don't undertand is why people drill a new hole for the trigger return spring when one can simply get a stronger spring and use that without changing the angle.  Anyone know?

You can do one...the other...or, both. Along with that, you can put in a lighter striker spring. But, doing all three will often lead to problems resetting. Pick any two. Play with the combos. See what feels better...and, runs better.

The whole idea with redrililng the trigger bar higher is not to increase the pressure. You are actually decreasing the upward pressure on the cruciform to striker engagement so it takes less pressure to release the striker....

going 9mm "diasho": 19 for carry, only changing sights. 17 & 34 as above, for IDPA and Prod. May tweak with GR's later, but their staying simple.

I am still a 1911 man, but I figured why not have something to teach and play on for cheap, and with the Walmart ammo. Got a new gf B) who needs sumthin to learn on, and my S_I's might be jumping in too deep.

As a quick aside. My first match EVER, I actually instructed a guy (verbally) how to use a Glock so he could go with me. It went something like "Look this is the IDPA classifier, the strings are simple, so take your time, and keep your damned finger off the trigger, and just have fun."

It would have taken half an hour, power point and visual aids to teach him the Sig I shot and I don't even want him to get into 1911's. He was hooked, bought the gun from me, and we shot together for the next three years.

Sometimes, simple makes for fun and that's good. ;)

I've added them to an older G17 that I have been competing with and a new G34 I plan on competing with. The trigger pull is vastly improved on both, but I run a LW overtravel stop on the G17 and it feels much duller than the on in my G34, which feels amazingly crisp. I don't know if the overtravel stop is the issue, as I have not yet switched it out for the stock one, but I will. I also am waiting on a lightweight steel striker to add to the package, to see if it makes any difference in feel.

All I can say is this trigger kit - especially for the price - absolutely rocks. Lighter and smoother on both triggers, and on the 34 it feels great as it increases in weight immediately before a crisp break. As far as modifications go, other than new sights, this trigger kit has made the biggest difference in my accuracy, speed and overall enjoyment shooting a glock. While I agree that quality practice is much more important to improvement than modifying your pistola, I don't see a problem with modifying a gun to make it more comfortable/personalized/better to the shooter. I've never tried Vanek's trigger, but am very happy with Ralph's and recommend it. Also, Ralph was immediately responsive to my questions, and I received my kits within a few days of emailing him. I really like the fact that I could purchase 4 or 5 of Ralph's kits for each one of Rhea's or Vanek's. Competition in the market place - as well as on the course of fire - is a darn good thing.

-joker22

Received my trigger kit in the mail moments ago. The parts are all nice and highly polished. I installed them and the weight of the trigger went down 1/4 over my current set up in the first 20 or so trigger breaks. I was somewhat disappointed in these early findings. Before it broke at 2.75 pounds now the trigger breaks at 2.5 pounds.

My gun had the .25 cent trigger job done - polishing and a wolf reduced striker spring added. The trigger bar drilling and the lighter plunger button and the heavier trigger spring added up to 1/4 pound in my G34 during initial testing.

After another 100 dry fire trigger breaks with the gun the trigger did lighten up. I lubricated the plunger which I don't normally do given that it is connected to the striker channel, but Ralph recomended it and it did help. The trigger is now breaking at 2 pounds and 2 oz. I expect it to wear in just a little more and can say that it will most likely go to 2 pounds straight up.

I do feel the slightest hint of roughness before the trigger breaks but again I think that it will wear in nicely. I guess that I have to remember than the other trigger job has 8000 rounds through it and it is smooth, just a little heavier than I wanted.

Rick

NOTE: I had to edit this post since my initial findings and the results after 100 dry firings were different. I'm a happy camper now. :D

Yes, the parts were highly polished, but the connector did have a few marks in it. Sad, but that is how the Glock parts are these days. You wouldn't want to remove all of the metal that would need to be removed to get all of the tooling marks out. Still the parts were polished nicely.

Anyone know what the weight or the specs are on the trigger bar spring vs the stock one? For instance instead of the 18 pound recoil spring (at least I think the stock one was 18 pounds) I use the 13 ISMI. The reduced striker spring is 4#, but what is the trigger bar spring? Thanks.

Rick

Have to post this, Ralph - the kit manufacturer, sent me an email after he saw my initial response to the kit installation. He offered a full refund or would answer any questions that I might have had and offered some initial advice about the set up of the kit.

Since I edited my initial post and didn't just do a different post all he saw on the email notification was that I wasn't totally satisfied. I just want to say that Ralph stands behind his product and it was nice hearing from him to try and resolve a problem without me having to call him first. Stand up guy, Ralph is.

Anyhow, I told him that after about 100 dry firings I edited my orginal post and am a happy camper now. The only real problem that I still have is that I have a second G34 that now needs to be upgraded as well. B)

Rick

Eric,

My offer still stands to anyone here. Buy a kit, if you dont like it, I'll buy it from you, pay shipping and buy you a beer for trying it. Ralph is a good friend and will always stand behind what he sells.

Eric,

My offer still stands to anyone here. Buy a kit, if you dont like it, I'll buy it from you, pay shipping and buy you a beer for trying it. Ralph is a good friend and will always stand behind what he sells.

Kimberkid - I need a friend like you.

-joker22