Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&B primers good to go?

Tech32

Only issue I've noticed with them is, being brass/copper and not nickel plated, they can build up corrosion.  If you load your own carry ammo, you might want to stick with nickel plated primers for that, and use the S&B for practice/match ammo.

15 hours ago, njl said:

Only issue I've noticed with them is, being brass/copper and not nickel plated, they can build up corrosion.  If you load your own carry ammo, you might want to stick with nickel plated primers for that, and use the S&B for practice/match ammo.

Why would a brass primer lead to corrosion in a brass round??

Edited by RudyVey
corrected

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Naka16 said:

Has to be better than the wolf primers.. I used some SP about 6 years ago and had no issues. Haven’t seen it on any shelves here since then. 

I believe Wolf primers no longer come to the US.

I have had good luck with them so far. The only complaint I have is half of them are one way in the package and half of them are flipped the other way in the package.

Bought a bunch of the S&B primers several years for a very good price. No issues at all with small pistol primers but the small rifle primers are too hard for a handgun. 

2 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

S&B along with Fiocchi are great "value" primers. The fact that my Vibra Prime loves feeding them is a bonus.

How have you found the hardness of the Fiocchis?  Similar to the S&Bs?

Thanks

2 hours ago, s2000red said:

How have you found the hardness of the Fiocchis?  Similar to the S&Bs?

Thanks

I found Fiocchi primers to be the second softest, Federal being the softest.

I first purchased these from Cabela's on a Black Friday sale when they were $15k.  I bought 20k.  I buy another 5-10K every time they are on sale.  Never had one fail to go bang.  I've used all four sizes without a problem.  Right now I'm shooting around 500 rounds per week, not a lot to some people, but about all my abused body will handle.  I mainly shoot .45 and 10mm.