Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&B primers good to go?

Tech32

Yup. But what gun? They are harder than Win & Fed., but a little softer than CCI in my experience.

Only issue I've had is the shoulder on the cup. It seems to be a little more square than cci/fed/win, which makes them a little more difficult to pluck with standard primer tubes.

They’re great. I’m with SCTaylor, they don’t pluck as nice as CCIs.
No big deal though. What kinda deal did you find? I once picked em up for 18$ per K at cabelas. They were on sale, and I had a 20% off. I bought all they had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Brooke said:

Saving 1 cent per round isn't worth moving from a known good product to one you have questions about. False economy

Not taking the opportunity to save where you can with a product of equal quality is bad economics.

I have a “Cajunized” CZ P09 with the competition springs, firing pin, etc. it will not reliably ignite CCI SSP. I will typically have between 5-10 out of 100 that will require a second strike to ignite. It is very reliable with Winchester, Federal and S&B. I am planning to by more S&B primers while on sale at Cabela’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Varying dimensions on the S&B small pistol primers I tried. Uneven seating using an RL1050 and some high primers. No problem at all with the same press and all other brands I have used. I onsold the S&B and the problem disappeared.

I have now used over 3000 small pistol primers and everyone has gone bang. This includes my Shadow with 11.5 pound spring but it has a cajun extended firing pin and reduced firing pin spring which also sets off CCI with no problem. All of my striker guns and pcc also sets them off. I just bought 5000 more. I load on a lnl press and have no issues with any high primers.

I run S&B SPPs for all the handgun loads I make on the 650.

Only light strikes I have had are with my Grand Power.  Still trying to figure out if it is the ammo or the gun.  Happens very infrequently, so not an easy malfunction to pin down.

Last two years in Europe I've run S&B primers in my Shadow 2, with 11lb mainspring and no issues at all. Seems they've really changed things up as previous to that I'd get light strikes in my Shadows all the time. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've used a good bit. Never had a problem with them. Still have a bunch around. Bought them on sale at Cabelas also - $20/1000. I also run across CCIs on sale occasionally for $26/1000 or so - and I prefer to buy them when I get the chance. 

• 2 months later...

I started a thread on this topic the first time I saw a sale like this.  Most all responses were good as you see above.

I bought 10k and have run the first 1k flawlessly in 2 Caniks that I own.

Picked up the brass and the primer strikes were DEEP with those guns.  I'm happy and am ordering more.