Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Factory Crimp Die 9mm

brisix

2 hours ago, PPGMD said:

I deal with a lot of very tight primers. Dillon won't push them out, but if I tighten down the Lee decapping pin it will push them out. I am still on my original Lee decapping pin, but I keep the hardened decapping pins in stock just in case.

A dillon decapper won't push them out? Where does the pin go then? It has to go somewhere or clips break. Most pins will punch right through a primer that would be that tight.

6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

A dillon decapper won't push them out? Where does the pin go then? It has to go somewhere or clips break. Most pins will punch right through a primer that would be that tight.

I don't know. I do know that I had a lot of primers that didn't eject. And when I switched to the Lee die, I found that the rate of that happening dropped dramatically. Of course I bought the Lee die because the U dies produce better groups according to my Bianchi friends.

7 hours ago, PPGMD said:

I don't know. I do know that I had a lot of primers that didn't eject. And when I switched to the Lee die, I found that the rate of that happening dropped dramatically. Of course I bought the Lee die because the U dies produce better groups according to my Bianchi friends.

I'd bet what you were seeing with the Dillon were primers that were pressed out, then drawn back in.  It's a reported event that happens with some Dillon decapping pins that can usually be fixed by altering the point of the pin.

35 minutes ago, Tom S. said:

I'd bet what you were seeing with the Dillon were primers that were pressed out, then drawn back in.  It's a reported event that happens with some Dillon decapping pins that can usually be fixed by altering the point of the pin.

Yep. Almost has to be or else the Press would stop dead