Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger PC Carbine

9 hours ago, DeerSmearer said:

Factory ammo has had more issues than reloads for me. Every brand, weight, and style bullet have been tried. PMC, Remington, WWB, S&B, Browning, Blazer, CCI, Fiocchi, and others.

The only stuff I haven't tried are steel or aluminum case. Maybe I should try them. 

Plus the reloads I use run in every other gun I own, and they run in other's guns as well, all without issues. Even personal reloads with new brass and different powders have similar results.

Same for the magazines,  Glock, Magpul, ETS, SGM, 17-32 round, and no rhyme or reason.

Did some grinding, bending, and polishing today. 

Setting up a super high speed camera to film the action and see if something can be caught on film. 

you'd be in the extreme minority

Edited by TRUBL
  • Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Gregg K said:

Or put another way

2% failure rate.

?

No, bad description on my part. 0% failure.

98%, or GM was the score.

Nothing close to a failure. All 115 grain fmj SAAMI reloads from 17 round OEM Glock mags. Threw the casings 8-12 feet on average.

Before the match...

Bent the ejector up until touching the bottom of the bolt.

Polished and filed the extractor on outside edge, top, bottom, and especially the face under the hook.

Sanded the groove where the extractor sits.

Rounded the edges of the bolt where the ejector rubs on the bolt.

Cleaned the receiver guts and ran the gun dry.

Used a dental pick to make sure no debris was on the bolt face where the cartridge sits.

Polished the feed ramp.

Cleaned each mag before the match, but not during.

No gun malfunctions. 219 rounds.

400 round match today. Eight 50 round average, 30ish second stages today. The goal is 0% failure for the match. I haven't done a thing to the gun between matches. I didn't even wipe the gun or mags down after finishing shooting today. Just flagged and bagged.

On 10/7/2018 at 1:15 AM, DeerSmearer said:

Bent the ejector up until touching the bottom of the bolt.

Polished and filed the extractor on outside edge, top, bottom, and especially the face under the hook.

Sanded the groove where the extractor sits.

Rounded the edges of the bolt where the ejector rubs on the bolt.

Cleaned the receiver guts and ran the gun dry.

Used a dental pick to make sure no debris was on the bolt face where the cartridge sits.

Polished the feed ramp.

Cleaned each mag before the match, but not during.

No gun malfunctions. 219 rounds.

400 round match today. Eight 50 round average, 30ish second stages today. The goal is 0% failure for the match. I haven't done a thing to the gun between matches. I didn't even wipe the gun or mags down after finishing shooting today. Just flagged and bagged.

SO you are saying those little tips worked  :)

Edited by TRUBL
9 hours ago, TRUBL said:

SO you are saying those little tips worked  :)

Still evaluating the results. Sunday's match didn't go as well. Had 2 FTE issues, but it was 435 rounds fired. 0.5% +/-

I did not do anything with the gun between the SCSA match and the hi round count match, so 2 FTE over approximately 650 rounds using the same reloaded ammo I always do.

There was one thing I noticed in addition to the ejector height in relation to the bolt. The ejector is metal and actually slides on to the magazine adapter. There is about 1/64" top to bottom play in the fit. I'm going to try beveling the "crack" on the bolt where the ejector rubs a little more to lessen the chance of the ejector catching on the bolt. That would allow the ejector to rub on the bolt a little harder. Just seeing how far I can push the performance the other way.

All in all much better performance. The failure rate was probably as good as any other pcc/reloaded ammo combination. 

Edited by DeerSmearer
Typo
On 10/11/2018 at 11:17 PM, matteekay said:

Both those dudes were on my squad at the International Revolver Championship a few weeks ago. They're awesome shooters.

I'm also willing to bet their carbines are, ah, somewhat less than stock...

What do you think is done to them?

What do you think is done to them?

I have literally no way of knowing. I’m willing to bet that Ruger is going to do their best to give you a gun that won’t fail when you shoot for their factory team, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt there as much done to them as people might think. BX or hand finished trigger components and change the extractor and ejector every 500 rounds. Lack of spare parts is the biggest challenge right now.

55 minutes ago, JsK said:

I doubt there as much done to them as people might think. BX or hand finished trigger components and change the extractor and ejector every 500 rounds. Lack of spare parts is the biggest challenge right now.

Do the fix I listed above...no need to change the ejector or extractor every 500 rounds....we now have 6000+ rounds thru this rifle.....works great, very reliable. As for the trigger......we put the volquartsen 10/22 parts in, but use the factory springs......zero issues

Loving this gun! Picked it up Sunday, shot it in Monday night league(next day) and won PCC division. I wasn't as accurate as I wanted, but I was pretty fast and no misses and 100% reliable gun. All the high dollars ar's were jamming. LOL This is my first try at PCC and the gun was in stock configuration (iron sights). I'll be getting some go fast parts and vortex venom dot soon. Very impressed with this gun so far.

Just put a over travel screw in the trigger guard of my Ruger to stop the over travel in my stock trigger. Loving it! It's still a 4lbs trigger pull , but it sure feels a lot less. Seems like I only have to pull trigger back a sixteenth of a inch now Vs the 1/4 stock pull. Splits got way better also.

When you are using your Taccom mag release bar and are having issues with it working/binding, try placing your index finger on the back corner of the bar. Instead of pressing it in strait into the gun, press forward and in at the same time (think pushing in at a 45 degree angle). Taccom’s stainless mag release button is WAY better than my original nylon one but the  Ruger design of its mag release is a short shallow throw so it tends to bind with a longer lever.  Forward and in at the same time.  This is my PSA for today. 

image.jpg

15 hours ago, snertley said:

When you are using your Taccom mag release bar and are having issues with it working/binding, try placing your index finger on the back corner of the bar. Instead of pressing it in strait into the gun, press forward and in at the same time (think pushing in at a 45 degree angle). Taccom’s stainless mag release button is WAY better than my original nylon one but the  Ruger design of its mag release is a short shallow throw so it tends to bind with a longer lever.  Forward and in at the same time.  This is my PSA for today. 

image.jpg

So taccom has a stainless steel lever now?

19 minutes ago, ParaGunner said:

So taccom has a stainless steel lever now?

That is what I need for mine.  The Taccom plastic one has too much flex.  Have to push about halfway up the lever to get it to work reliably.

Edited by aandabooks
  • 3 weeks later...

Good morning folks! I got bitten by the Ruger PC9 bug an need your help :)   I just bought a Ruger  PC9 mainly for competition as I slowly switch division to PCC , (this is my first ever Ruger firearm)  I wanted to improve the trigger and bought a kit from ebay. The hammer came with just the adjustable trigger and no sear.

Volquartsen Ruger 10/22 22LR 22M Aluminum Target Trigger + TARGET HAMMER KIT 

I just noticed that there are other items in EBAY saying "WILL NO FIT BX", so I just wanna verify from folks who's already familiar with the PC9, is this something that would work with the PC9?  I just got the adjustable trigger, will this work even using the stock sear?

Thanks in advance!

ruger_small.jpg

Edited by quaker