Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger PC Carbine

I had the Cmore on it and had to build a cheek pad out of pieces of yoga mat and

a elastic knee brace the brought the stock up 5/8". But I hated it.

Then I got a mount from Brian for a Venom that replaced the rear sight.

Thought I had it made in the shade. Then the problems started.

When I first got it I shot a couple of hundred rnds with irons.

It was very fast and accurate.

But i shoot steel with a 22/45.

I'm POed because I like the rifle. I think if the extractor issue is solved i'll be happy with it.

I am also with you. When i first got it I shot at least a 1000rnds of 100g to 165g bullets without a hiccup and never cleaned it.

Now after a couple thousand rnds its starts having issues.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought about stretching the spring.
I think the extractor needs a mod in the shape of the hook and the depth.
If you compare it to other extractors an look at how it fits in the case notch above the rim
It doesn't compare.
Ruger needs to make parts available. Namely, Firing Pin and spring , Extractor and spring, ejector and recoil spring.
I would be more then happy to purchase these to have as spares.
I would like to know how rnds shooters put through the Carbine before cleaning.

That was the first time I cleaned the rifle is to take pic of extractor (1200) rounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Do you shoot Reloaded ammo or off the shelf ?

I shoot 100, 115, 124, 147 and 165. The 147's show almost no jump when fired with an Alchin Comp. All at 1.140

Loaded on a Dillon with a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Now 147g Blue Bullets N340 3.8g  OAL 1.140

3 hours ago, Frozen said:

Do you shoot Reloaded ammo or off the shelf ?

Mostly commercial reload 115s. But the issues happen with various brands and weights, and magazines brands and lengths.

No rhyme or reason. Most issues for me were also after cleaning the first time. 

Clean, filthy, oiled to the point of dripping, bone dry, no pattern.

Grasping for straws maybe, but after taking the pcc apart for the 50th time I noticed something. The bolt has a little side to side wiggle room. The extractor, when installed, holds the extractor spring in and pivots on the extractor pin. The rear part of the extractor would stick out about 3 thousandths past the side of the bolt. So, upon blowback, if the bolt was tight to the right side of the receiver the rear part of the extractor would just barely hit the inside of the receiver when cycling. 

Could it be possible that the rear of the extractor, when hitting the receiver, would have the rear of the extractor pivot in, and the front hook part of the extractor pivot out lessening the extractor's grip on the shell casing. That would occasionally drop the casing before hitting the ejector.

I know earlier, after loading up a magazine and quickly cycling the receiver with the charging handle, the bullets didn't seem to eject very far. After cleaning and polishing everything, and filing off a little of the rear of the extractor so it sits flush with the bolt, hand cycling rounds manually would easily eject them across the living room.

I guess tomorrow will tell. 

Edited by DeerSmearer
Typo

I am going to shoot it Thursday night and see if the issue persists.

I'll take the gun apart and see how much play there is in the bolt.

There is plenty of meat on the back of the extractor to take a couple of thousands off.

Even so i think the hook also needs a little work.

S.S.D.D.  approx a 130 round, six stage match. 3 of the 6 stages had issues. 1 Failure to Feed, 2 stove pipes.

I'm done with it.

CZ Scorpion, JP GMR15, or Leadstar Prime???

Bummer,,, I feel your pain,,hope the next one runs 100% I had issues at the us national steel challenge this year with a Ruger rimfire pistol,,, have not even picked it up and try to shoot it or fix it!!!done with it and on to the next one!!!

OHY! Ill still shoot the Ruger Thursday night. If it takes a dump it may end up in the canal behind my house.

I know a couple of guys that shoot the JP and the CZ.

I am staying with the AR carbine style (PSA upper & lower, JP Bolt and 308 Spring, Blitzcrieg buffer), No piston and no delayed blowback.

My AR is not nearly as accurate as the Ruger but it don't break. Well

except firing pins. (PSA Bolt). Not the JP bolt (well not yet)

I have to figure out what the deal is with my AR carbine.

I just cant get it to shoot flat.

Second shot on the target is all over the place.

Dam thing jumps.

My Ruger was starting to have ejection (stove pipe) issues........so I tweaked the extractor.....worked some, then bent the ejector up to touch the bolt and had to polish the corners on the bolt. Like I say......I will provide pictures.......but it ran in a steel match yesterday 100% and lots of practice earlier this week.

So like I say........I hope to have some pics up tomorrow.

Runs dirty, ejection issues...common theme. When I got mine, I was concerned with lubing it properly and got on a 10/22 site that advised using a dry lube with Teflon. So I found some at the HD that did not contain Silicone and was "Safe for use on plastics." Hey, if it works for a 10/22...

I spray some on the bolt and the mag release lever about every time out, and wipe off the white residue that gets on the stock. I cleaned the gun twice in about 4,000 rounds, once when new and the second when installing the mag release. I had one stove-pipe within the first 100 rounds, and absolutely no other malfunctions since then. Ejection pattern is about 10 feet at about 3:00. I load to 135PF using 125g Blue Bullets TC and N320, TG, or Sport Pistol; and no comp.

Don't know what the extractor looks like, haven't seen it in a long time. So far, no issues.

Also, someone mentioned a while back that they shot a match clean but slower than with an AR9mm, and opined for a pistol grip stock.  Me too, but there's no fixing that currently so I screwed on a Magpul MOE MVG to the pic rail on the forearm and with a more secure hold transitions are better and the dot seems quieter.

What you are seeing is that on the extractor, we ground down behind the hook to expose more of the hook.......I caution you to do a little at a time.....it worked for us....YMMV

As for the ejector, you can tell on the right side of the picture, that we bent the ejector up so that it lightly rubs on the bolt.....which in itself is not an issue. The issue is the area circled in yellow, we took the front part out and polished a radius so that the sharp edge of the ejector didn't stop on the bolt. 

Getting the ejector up as high as possible really has made this ruger run well.......and as you can tell from the wear marks.......we shoot the s#!t out of this thing!!

84602837_rugermod.thumb.png.700fa2216b49277df727fb84b5c520f6.png

Thanks TRUBL.

I've tried some of those changes. I didn't have the ejector rubbing on the bolt. Today I had 2 FTF jams, but they looked like the ammo casings were a little messed up. 

Ran better overall today. Shot GM at steel challenge today, even with the 2 jams. The gun is a blast to shoot when it functions but aggravating as hell when it doesn't.

Another steel challenge on Saturday and a 400 round, 8 stage USPSA match on Sunday. 

I might shoot the USPSA match with the CZ SCORPION. I shoot a CZ in production and it runs flawlessly.  Probably 20,000 rounds through it in a year and they only issue was a couple backwards primers that snuck by when loading magazines. 

Kind of a buy before you try match. I've watched as others have had trouble with their JPs and Leadstar as well. Too much tweaking their reloads. 

I just want to use a reliable commercial SAAMI reload and blast away. I'd need 2 days a week just to reload the ammo I go through. 

Edited by DeerSmearer
Typo

Don't care what anyone says.......run reloads and you've astronomically increased your chance of failure in a PCC. I see more often than not....people have having issues of some sort and what are they running? Reloads. Ok, Ok, but Tim, I run reloads and I have no issues at all.......well Bless your heart!! But if you are having issues and you are reloading......try factory ammo.....if the issue goes away, and most times it does.......whats the answer?

Yup....my Scorpion has been very reliable for sure.......but my Ruger has been too and the trigger on the Ruger is less s#!tty than the trigger on the scorpion (you have to own both to catch that one)

Edited by TRUBL

I shot it last night and had failure to fire on 2 stages. Went to my backup AR on stage 3 and as usual it fired flawlessly.

Another Ruger shooter had extraction issues.

I like the Ruger is is super accurate but these issues are killing me. I also find it slower that the AR.

Probably will use it for steel but not USPSA . Hoping for some aftermarket parts.

13 hours ago, TRUBL said:

Don't care what anyone says.......run reloads and you've astronomically increased your chance of failure in a PCC. I see more often than not....people have having issues of some sort and what are they running? Reloads. Ok, Ok, but Tim, I run reloads and I have no issues at all.......well Bless your heart!! But if you are having issues and you are reloading......try factory ammo.....if the issue goes away, and most times it does.......whats the answer?

Yup....my Scorpion has been very reliable for sure.......but my Ruger has been too and the trigger on the Ruger is less s#!tty than the trigger on the scorpion (you have to own both to catch that one)

Factory ammo has had more issues than reloads for me. Every brand, weight, and style bullet have been tried. PMC, Remington, WWB, S&B, Browning, Blazer, CCI, Fiocchi, and others.

The only stuff I haven't tried are steel or aluminum case. Maybe I should try them. 

Plus the reloads I use run in every other gun I own, and they run in other's guns as well, all without issues. Even personal reloads with new brass and different powders have similar results.

Same for the magazines,  Glock, Magpul, ETS, SGM, 17-32 round, and no rhyme or reason.

Did some grinding, bending, and polishing today. 

Setting up a super high speed camera to film the action and see if something can be caught on film.