Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stick's Training, Range and Match Log Diary

stick

3/2/18

I had a very quick practice tonight.  I ran 5 runs of each of the stages with the exception of 5 to go. (I ran 10)  had plans of practicing longer, but I had to wait 45 minutes to get approved for my new 9mm Gen 3 AR lower.

Dry fire Drills to complete this week:

1.       Accelerator

a.       This was actually my last stage tonight.  2.37 par time.  It was almost dark when I ran this stage.  I like this stage and the progress I’ve made this week. I’m not beating the par time by any means, but when I focus and drive the gun, I can meet the par time.

2.        5 To Go

a.       Did I mention this stage is my nemesis?  I actually ran 10 reps on this stage tonight.  I needed to run 100 reps.  I hate plate #4.  I’m actually curious to see what my times will be the next two days on this stage.

3.       Pendulum

a.       This stage and roundabout continue to be my favorite stages.  I’m actually really anxious to see my scores on this stage.  My average run is 3.46 seconds.  I’ve been practicing with a 2.62 par time.

4.       Roundabout

a.       The 2.13 par time is doable with proper technique.  My stretch goal for this stage is 1.99.  I can make the par time if I concentrate and drive the gun from target to target.

I’m thinking I might drastically drop the par time for each stage.  I have GM times set currently, but If I really push myself, I can get even faster.  5 to go is going to be a work in progress.  I need to spend about an hour breaking down the specifics of this stage just working the plates and my positioning on the stage.  The plates are the same height.  I need to learn to just swing the gun on the level from target to target.

Saturday Steel Challenge at PMRPC

Sunday Steel Challenge at OK Corral

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3/3/18

I finished 7th out of 44 today.  I had my personal best on 6 of the 8 stages I shot today.  I bested my times on 3 of the 4 steel challenge banners that I had been practicing this week.

5 to go 12.94 seconds 85.01% (Steel Challenge Banner)

Showdown 11.66 seconds 72.90%

Smoke & Hope 10.50 seconds 74.18%

Accelerator 11.67 seconds 81.41% (Steel Challenge Banner)

Speed Option 12.38 seconds 84.81%

Roundabout 9.74 seconds  87.27%(Steel Challenge Banner)

I went from 77.70% to 81.25%.  I’m now only 3.75% away from Master.  I never thought I would be this close to Master after only 4 steel challenge matches. 

Final Name Number Class Division Time 5 To Go Showdown Smoke & Hope Outer Limits Accelerator Pendulum Speed Option Roundabout
1 XXX XXX GM RFPO 84.6 13.15 8.01 7.76 13.82 12.04 10.6 11.01 8.21
2 XXX XXX GM PCCO 87.86 10.94 9.18 8.7 14.98 10.48 12.28 12.01 9.29
3 XXX XXX GM PCCO 91.08 11.6 9.81 9.66 14.88 10.74 12.19 13.19 9.01
4 XXX XXX M RFRO 94.01 12.24 10.06 9.34 14.2 13.25 11.89 13.78 9.25
5 XXX   M PCCO 95 12.34 8.87 8.54 14.97 10.98 14.26 11.55 13.49
6 XXX XXX U RFPO 95.25 12.52 11.34 8.42 17.58 11.54 12.48 12.17 9.2
7 Scott, Michael A78613 A PCCO 96.82 12.94 11.66 10.11 14.98 11.67 13.34 12.38 9.74
8 XXX   U RFRO 101.76 14.61 10.66 9.29 15.95 12.46 13.38 14.14 11.27
9 XXX XXX A RFPO 103.47 13.98 11.85 12.09 16.53 12.57 13.8 12.58 10.07
10 XXX XXX B PCCO 108.52 15.44 11.87 10.5 16.6 14.12 13.71 14.97 11.31

Videos of today's match to follow.

3/4/18

Results are in from today’s Steel Challenge Match.  I finished 9th out of 115 shooters overall and 3rd out of 23 in PCCO.  I’m delighted with my results today.  When the scores upload Wednesday, I will move from “A” to Master in PCCO at 86.4%.  Words can’t express how happy I am.  At the beginning of the year, I made a commitment to train and dry fire a minimum of 5 days a week.  My commitment and hard work has paid off.  My next step is GM!

I had three of my best stages today Showdown, Smoke & Hope and Roundabout.  I have dropped 20.8 seconds in three months.  I know making GM won’t be as easy.  I’m in it for the long haul.  I’m planning on spending my time dry firing on training for Steel Challenge.

Final

Name

Number

Class

Division

Time

XXX

XXX

GM

RFPO

XXX

XXX

GM

RFPO

XXX

XXX

A

RFRO

XXX

XXX

GM

PCCO

XXX

XXX

M

RFRO

XXX

XXX

A

RFPO

XXX

XXX

M

RFRO

XXX

XXX

M

PCCO

Scott, Michael

A78613

A

PCCO

XXX

XXX

A

PCCO

In Pursuit of GM!

PCC Dry fire Schedule for the week of 3/4/18 -3/11/18

Weekly area of focus:  Steel Challenge Focus will be shooting Accelerator, 5 to go, pendulum and roundabout using the Steel challenge banners.  Focus on box to box transitions for Outerlimits.

1.       Accelerator

a.       2.0 par time for each of the four runs

2.        5 To Go

a.       2.25 par time for each of the four runs

3.       Pendulum

a.       2.00 par time for each of the four runs

4.       Roundabout

a.       1.50 par time for each of the four runs

5.       Footwork for Outerlimits

a.       Transition from box to box

Edited by stick

3/5/18

1.       Accelerator

a.       2.0 par time for each of the four runs

2.        5 To Go

a.       2.25 par time for each of the four runs

3.       Pendulum

a.       2.00 par time for each of the four runs

4.       Roundabout

a.       1.50 par time for each of the four runs

a.       Transition from box to box

I decided to primarily focus on steel challenge.  After the Wednesday update, I will be moving from “A” to Master.  I shot Sundays match with a GM.  He motivated me to train harder.  I saw his times and splits and they were much faster than mine.  I have ordered a new Taccom ULW ramped barrel and Taccom Extreme bolt.  My gun weighs almost 8lbs.  I want to get the gun lighter, so I can drive the gun faster.  I practiced with my daughter’s 5lb PCC tonight and I was able to transition the gun faster.

In pursuit of GM, I have decided to push the par times on the four steel challenge stages that I have.  My though is this:  Its proven that I’m 10% slower in actual live fire than practice.  I need to be 10% faster than GM peak times to max out on the stages. (I already have maxed out Roundabout)

I also noticed that my footwork was different in training than in live fire match stages.  I practice taking two steps in practice, pushing off my right foot.  During the match, I was taking an extra step.  Extra step=slower time getting into the box.

My training tonight consisted of me utilizing the banners.  I was able to run 10-15 repetitions on each stage.  I was also able to work on parts of the stage (Transition from a plate to the stop plate or pate to plate sight picture).I worked for about 10 minutes on transitions from box to box on outerlimits.  I still want to stay with my original plan of dry fire training for 10-15 minutes a day.  I want to keep it fresh and not boring or monotonous.

3/6/18

1.       Accelerator (2.0 Par Time)

a.       I had runs of 11.67 (2.96, 2.97, 2.99, 2.99 & 2.75) Saturday & 11.93 (3.21, 3.11, 3.17, 2.87& 2.77) Sunday.  Working with Katelyn’s gun allows me to transition faster.  I’m going to keep practicing with a 2.0 par time.  It pushed me to go faster.

2.        5 To Go (2.25 par time)

a.       This drill was my nemesis.  I actually like the drill.  After my two matches this weekend, I have raised my percentage to 85.60%.  I practiced this drill for a while today.  I practiced twice today (once in the morning and once in the afternoon).  I changed my NPA (Natural Point of Aim) on this stage.  I align myself with the stop plate and twist back to the left for the first plate.  This allows me to transition faster to the stop plate.

3.       Pendulum (2.0 par time)

a.       I also changed the way I shoot this stage today.  I now shoot it 1, 2, 4, 5, 3.  I think its faster with less transitions than shooting it 1, 2, 5, 4, 3.It’s just faster for me to shoot it this way.  My thoughts are why should I skip a plate to shoot another plate?  2.0 par time is smoking on this stage.  I’m not there yet.  Its good practice with tweaked par times.

4.       Roundabout (1.50 par time)

a.       I have this stage maxed at 106%.  I had two runs of 1.53 Sunday.  I swung for the fences and hit a home run.  So why practice anything other than a jacked par time? 

5.       Footwork for Outerlimits (Transition from box to box)

a.       I worked this movement today for probably 15 -20 minutes today.  I royally screwed up my footwork at my Sunday Match.  My total time was 14.06 (4.71, 4.85, 4.75, & 4.60).  I had a stutter step in live fire.  I felt as though I could have had slightly lower times if I wasn’t thinking of my footwork.  So today, I worked it with a new approach.  I used to put my right foot on the back edge of the box.  I now start with both feet toes touching the outside edge of the box facing the second box.  No twisting or turning!  It’s just a quick two steps forward and I’m in the box.

It's Official!  I made Master in Steel Challenge

Division

Class

High %

Current %

High % Set

PCC Optics

M

3/07/18

3/7/18

1.       Accelerator

a.       2.0 par time

2.        5 To Go

a.       2.25 par time

3.       Pendulum

a.       2.00 par time

4.       Roundabout

a.       1.50 par time

I’m still using the Steel shoot banners for dry fire training.  I can’t begin to explain how much these have helped me train for steel challenge.  The banners allow me to practice the entire stage or work on individual parts of the stage.  I know I mentioned this earlier, but I reduced the par time by 10% during training because I’m approximately 10% slower in live fire.  I ran a minimum of 10 repetitions per banner.  I also worked on 5 to go with transitions from plate #4 to plate #5 individually.  I changed the way I shoot The Pendulum ( I think it’s faster)  to shoot it straight across.  I’ll have to see what my times are with the new change.  I got my dry fire in early today before the rain started.

I used Accelerator as my template for Outerlimits (Both have the same type of plates). I need to ensure that I get rid of my Stutter step I had during my last match.

3/8/18

Let’s talk dedication to dry firing!  I have a meeting this morning and then I’ll be at work until 10pm tonight.  I was outside dry firing with the steel shoot banners at 6:30am.  It was a chilly 50 here in Florida.  I’m beginning to realize what Nimitz told me about losing the time based training and focusing more on perfect form.  With some of the banners, I can blow through them and feel really good about the training, but 5 to go, is not one of those stages.  I stopped the timer after a few runs and focused on the dot actually hitting the plates.  I was getting sloppy. 

1.       Accelerator

a.       2.25 par time.  This banner felt really good today.  It’s all coming together!

2.        5 To Go

a.       2.25 par time.  This banner is giving me fits.  I think I’m trying to split hairs.  GM time on this stage is 2.75 per run.  I’m trying to run it in 2.25.  I need to focus on form and consistency on this stage.  Is 2.25 per run crazy thinking?  2.25 x 4 =9.  Peak time is 11.  I need to rethink this thought process.

3.       Pendulum

a.       2.00 par time.  I will continue to shoot this straight across (1-2-4-5-3).  Being colder outside affected my times slightly.  I will continue to work this stage at 2.0 seconds.

4.       Roundabout

a.       1.50 par time   I still practice this stage even though I have 106% classification.  I continue to practice this because I had two low runs.  I won’t be satisfied until I have 4 low runs.

a.       Transition from box to box.  I changed my positioning on this stage.  I now face the second box and place all my weight on my right foot and turn to shoot 1-2.  With the weight on my right foot, I’m able to move faster to the second box.  Two steps and I’m into the second box.  I also worked on indexing the gun on #5 as I entered the box.

3/9/18

I just finished installing my new Steel Challenge upper. Aero Slickside upper, Radian Charge handle, Taccom Extreme bolt, Taccom Ramped ULW barrel, Taccom Carbon Fiber handguard and C-more Railway with 8moa dot.  Attached to the lower, it weighs in at 6lbs.  So far, so good!

1.       Accelerator

a.       2.25 par time.

2.        5 To Go

a.       2.25 par time.

3.       Pendulum

a.       2.00 par time.

4.       Roundabout

a.       1.70 par time.

Accelerator felt really smooth tonight.  I started slightly pulling the gun into my shoulder with my left hand on the front of the gun.  The gun felt more secure and a little easier to index on the target.  I was able to make some of the runs in/around 2.25 seconds.  5 to go, well is 5 to go.  I need to take this stage slow and work on dropping my time.  I rarely make the par time if I’m focusing on the plates.  I just need to push the time and learn how to slowly drop the par time.  2.0 seconds on pendulum is pretty fast.  I found the best way to shoot it is still 1-2-4-5-3.  Roundabout is still one of my favorite stages.  I still shoot it 1-2-5-4-3.  It was faster for me to shoot it this way as opposed to straight across.  Tomorrow is my last day (for now) with my current dry fire banners.  We have decided to switch out the banners every two weeks.  Next week, I’ll have showdown, smoke & Hope, Outerlimits and speed option.

On 3/7/2018 at 9:11 AM, stick said:

It's Official!  I made Master in Steel Challenge

Division

Class

High %

Current %

High % Set

PCC Optics

M

3/07/18

3/7/18

1.       Accelerator

a.       2.0 par time

2.        5 To Go

a.       2.25 par time

3.       Pendulum

a.       2.00 par time

4.       Roundabout

a.       1.50 par time

I’m still using the Steel shoot banners for dry fire training.  I can’t begin to explain how much these have helped me train for steel challenge.  The banners allow me to practice the entire stage or work on individual parts of the stage.  I know I mentioned this earlier, but I reduced the par time by 10% during training because I’m approximately 10% slower in live fire.  I ran a minimum of 10 repetitions per banner.  I also worked on 5 to go with transitions from plate #4 to plate #5 individually.  I changed the way I shoot The Pendulum ( I think it’s faster)  to shoot it straight across.  I’ll have to see what my times are with the new change.  I got my dry fire in early today before the rain started.

I used Accelerator as my template for Outerlimits (Both have the same type of plates). I need to ensure that I get rid of my Stutter step I had during my last match.

Congrats on making Master!

Question. I notice you are running a Cmore. Me too. I have had the battery go out on mine when I had no idea it was going to.

Any idea how much battery life you get with yours doing as much dry firing as you do?

46 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

Congrats on making Master!

Question. I notice you are running a Cmore. Me too. I have had the battery go out on mine when I had no idea it was going to.

Any idea how much battery life you get with yours doing as much dry firing as you do?

I run two of the 353/357 Energizers.  I change my batteries every month.  I had it go dim during a match and I couldn't see squat.  I had to point shoot.

Walmart has 3 packs for $4.57.  I keep 4 or 5 packs in my range bag.

Thank you on the Master comment.  Working toward GM!

PCC Dry fire Schedule for the week of 3/11/18 -3/18/18

Weekly area of focus:  Steel Challenge Focus will be shooting, Smoke & Hope, Showdown, Speed Option and Outer Limits using the Steel challenge banners.

1.       Outer Limits

a.       3.96 par time

2.       Smoke & Hope

a.       1.90 par time

3.       Showdown Left Box

a.       2.00 par time

4.       Showdown Right Box

a.       2.0 par time

5.       Speed Option

a.       2.43 par time

3/11/18

1.       Outer Limits

a.       3.96 par time

2.       Smoke & Hope

a.       1.90 par time

a.       2.00 par time

a.       2.0 par time

5.       Speed Option

a.       2.43 par time

I went out to OK Corral today with a friend to practice steel challenge stages.  The range had 6 stages set up (All but Speed option & Outer Limits).  We talked strategy and discussed our options/opinions on what’s the fastest way to shoot the stages.  I threw down some really fast runs on some of the stages.  A 1.53 run on roundabout comes to mind.  We worked on first shot times and splits between plates.  The norm was .41 to .60 first shot depending on the plate size.  The normal split between plates was .30 to .40 depending on the distance and the plate size.  The practice today was more of a confirmation of all my banner practice the last 2 weeks.

I Switched banners with my friend.  Now I have Outer Limits, Smoke & Hope, and Showdown & Speed Option.  I had to practice and establish par times.  Like my other banners, I tried to reduce the GM Peak time by 10%.  Again, my goal is to push myself in training with ridiculous times so when it comes to a match, I’ll still be fast enough to make peak times.  For tonight’s practice, I did 10 repetitions of each stage listed above.  Since Showdown has two boxes, I did 20 repetitions.  I’ll have to adjust the par times as necessary throughout the week to ensure that I’m pushing the envelope of my dry fire training.

2 hours ago, stick said:

I run two of the 353/357 Energizers.  I change my batteries every month.  I had it go dim during a match and I couldn't see squat.  I had to point shoot.

Walmart has 3 packs for $4.57.  I keep 4 or 5 packs in my range bag.

Thank you on the Master comment.  Working toward GM!

That is exactly what happened to me,

I will try the 353 or 357 batteries.

Good info.

Any tricks on installing them?

Thanks

7 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

That is exactly what happened to me,

I will try the 353 or 357 batteries.

Good info.

Any tricks on installing them?

Thanks

Installation is pretty straight forward,  they install back to back.  The batteries sometimes are a pain to remove, just use the allen wrench to pry them out.

5 hours ago, stick said:

Installation is pretty straight forward,  they install back to back.  The batteries sometimes are a pain to remove, just use the allen wrench to pry them out.

Thanks stick,

Do you think the 357's last longer?

Does the dot look any different?

I cut a little off an allen wrench to wedge them out. Works perfect. My problem has always getting them back in.

I can see where two batteries would be easier. Hope so.

Sorry to interrupt your dry fire training. Ha, ha.

1 hour ago, dmshozer1 said:

Thanks stick,

Do you think the 357's last longer?

Does the dot look any different?

I cut a little off an allen wrench to wedge them out. Works perfect. My problem has always getting them back in.

I can see where two batteries would be easier. Hope so.

Sorry to interrupt your dry fire training. Ha, ha.

They last the same.  Just a lot easier to find.  they are easy to install and  I see no difference in the dot

3/12/18

1.       Outer Limits

a.       3.96 par time. I got in five runs on this stage before I felt a twinge in my back.  Before the twinge, I was focusing on getting the first two shots off then exploding out of the box and finishing with the last three shots.  I would either just make the par time, or just miss the time depending on my first two shots on the stage.  I noticed I was a little slow firing off the first shot from the second box.  The luxury of the banners will allow me to break down the stage piece by piece.  I’ll focus on entering the box and shooting as soon as my second foot clears the box.

2.       Smoke & Hope

a.       1.90 par time.  Why am I so slow on this stage?  It looks so easy.  I’m averaging about 2.25 seconds per run in live fire.  During practice I can get it to just over 2.  Yesterday in practice I was averaging about 2.06.  I’ll have to work on this one for a few days to develop a rhythm.

a.       2.00 par time.   I dropped the par time in dry fire down to 1.80 seconds today.  I was right around 2 seconds to 2.10 yesterday in practice.  This stage will probably be my next 100%.  I like the way the stage sets up for me.  I can really get the gun moving quick on this one.  The transitions are fairly short and the runs should be fast. I’ll have to see what I can get the par time down to this week.

a.       2.0 par time.  Ran 10 more strings on the right side after I ran 10 strings on the left.  Times were consistent with the left side once I followed the same sequence.  I found the easiest way to shoot this is 1-2-4-5-3 from the left side and 5-4-2-1-3 from the right side.

5.       Speed Option

a.       2.43 par time.  I messed with the idea of shooting this different today.  I not quite making the par time I have set of 2.43.  My par time is 10% faster than peak time.  The best way in dry fire today was straight across 5-4-3-2-1.  I was consistently low on #3 today in practice.  I don’t know maybe it’s the 8moa dot.  I have a 6 moa dot on my other PCC.  I’ll have to work harder on this stage for sure.

Here are my current Percentages for the stages I’m practicing

1.       Outer Limits                         85.35%

2.       Smoke & Hope                    83.24%

3.       Showdown                           91.50%

4.       Speed Option                       84.81%

3/13/18

1.       Outer Limits

a.       3.96 par time.  I’m getting closer to hitting the 3.96 par time.  I feel as though I’m taking too much time getting off the first two shots and not exploding out of the box.  I’m also taking a split second to settle in the box before firing off the last three rounds.  I made the par time in a handful of runs.  4.2 seconds is 95%.  My plan is to hit 95% before I try and max out the stage.  This stage is definitely getting better day after day.

2.       Smoke & Hope

a.       1.90 par time.  Why is this seemingly easy stage so hard?  I need to get down to 1.88 seconds per run to max out the stage.  I need 1.97 second runs to get to 95%.  I was just over in practice today.  I’m practicing the traditional way 1-2-4-5-3.  One would think the big plates allow for faster runs, but it lends to mistakes and overconfidence.  I need to see my targets faster on this stage to speed up.

3.       Showdown Left Box & Showdown Right Box

a.       1.80 par time.  I consistently nailed this stage today!  I dropped the par time to 1.75.  I did a total of 20 repetitions on this stage (10 for left and right showdown) I can’t wait to see how low I can go on this stage at my next steel challenge match.  Until then, I will continue to drop the par time as long as I have correct form and hit the plates consistently.

4.       Speed Option

a.       2.43 par time.  I did my timed drills and then I did a whole bunch of off the clock working on plate to plate transitions and proper form.  I’m just missing the par time.  2.76 seconds a run gets me 95% and 2.63 maxes out the stage.  I’m going to work harder on this stage tomorrow.

My dedicated Steel Challenge PCC is complete.

Here’s my build list:

Aero Precision Slickside upper

Taccom ULW Ramped Barrel with Steel Shroud

Taccom Extreme Bolt

Taccom Carbon Fiber handguard

Taccom 2 stage Buffer System

PSA Gen 3 Lower

Aero Precision Lower Parts Kit

C-More Railway with 8moa dot

It weighs a hair over 6lbs. It's 2lbs lighter than my other PCC.

new pcc (2).jpg

new pcc weight (2).jpg

3/14/18

I completed two dry fire sessions today.  The first, I used my extreme par times to compete against.  The second session, I went with 95% of peak times.  Yes, I did say I want to be 10% faster than the peak par time because I’m approximately 10% slower in live fire than in dry fire.  I’m fast enough and I’m beginning to realize what @Nimitz said when he told me he was focusing on form and function and getting away from time based training.  I’m beginning to understand his thought process.  I’m pushing myself to get better and in order for me to get to GM, I need to get 8.6% faster!  I know I’m going to have days where I have setbacks, but I’m not expecting to make GM this month.  I need to continue to train and dry fire 5-7 days a week.  The Shoot steel banners have really helped me dry fire and train for steel challenge.  Here’s how my training went today.

All Stages were shot using the Shoot Steel Banners.

1.       Outer Limits

a.       3.96 par time.  The 95% par time is 4.20 seconds.  In the first training session, I ran all 10 runs with the 3.96 par time.  I noticed that I was just short of making the par time during all 10 runs.  During the second training session, the first five runs were set at the 3.96 par time. I increased the par time to 4.20 and I did 5 runs.  I was consistently making the par time with the time set at 4.20.  I was just falling short of making the 3.96 time.

2.       Smoke & Hope

a.       1.90 par time.  This seemingly easy stage continues to give me fits.  The first session I again used the extreme par times.  I’m not even close to making the par time consistently.  During the second session, I again went with the 95% peak time of 1.97 seconds.  I was just over that.  I’m assuming that I was right around 2 seconds for each run.  I’ll have to continue to practice and eventually I’ll get the timing down along with my times.  I’ll continue to shoot it 1-2-4-5-3 until someone proves to me it’s faster another way.

a.       2.00 par time.  I didn’t change the par time on this stage.  I still have it set at 1.75 which I can make consistently.  I ran 10 runs during both sessions with the 1.75 par time in place.  I would say that 90-95% of the 20 runs were at or under the par time.  I’m actually looking forward to shooting this stage in three weeks at the April 1 steel challenge match.

a.       2.0 par time.  After running 20 runs on this stage, I have determined that I’m slightly faster from the left box.  I’ll be sure to run three of my runs from the left box.  The par time of 1.75 for both the left and right boxes of showdown will remain in place until I can shoot 1.75 in live fire at a match.

5.       Speed Option

a.       2.43 par time.  This is another one of those drive me crazy stages.  The extreme par time of 2.43 is just a dream at this time.  The first session was run with the 2.43 par time.  In the second session, I increased the par time to 2.63 and I was about 75% on or under the par time.  It seems my problem on this stage is with #5 and #3.  My 8moa dot looks so big on that banner.  I need to get some trigger time on this stage to actually judge my progress with my dry fire training.