Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stick's Training, Range and Match Log Diary

stick

6/18/18

Dry fire Drills to complete this week:

·         Five to Go

·         .75 par time from low ready to plate #1

·         .50 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.25 par time (T1)

·         .50 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.75 par time (T2)

·         .50 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 2.25 par time (T3)

·         .50 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 2.75 par time (T4)

I waited for the sun to somewhat settle in the Florida sky.  It’s not quite summer, yet the temps are already hitting 90 with very high humidity.  5 to go is a stage that I’ve shot really well in the past.  The .75 transition to the first pate was very easy.  I didn’t have any problems with the second transition either.  I didn’t really notice a slight issue until I got to the fourth plate.  The 12moa dot is very big on that plate.  I need to see what my sight picture needs to be on that plate with the 12moa dot.  I really didn’t have any issue with the stage and the designated par times.  I just need to ensure that I transfer my training times to live fire.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6/20/18

·         Smoke & Hope

·         .60 par time from low ready to plate #1

·         .22 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 .82 par time (T1)

·         .45 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.22 par time (T2)

·         .22 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 1.44 par time (T3)

·         .45 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 1.89 par time (T4)

Thoughts: I’ve also started some mental management training.  So with that in mind, I set out to do my daily dry fire training.  Today’s stage was smoke & hope.  My current percentage on this stage is my lowest at 84.46%.  I’m training with the 100% par time of 1.89 seconds.  The 12moa dot is very easy to pick up quickly on the larger rectangular plates.  I also started working on faster transitions during the individual parts of the training. (On the draw, raise the gun quickly to the first plate, then transition to the second plate Etc.).  I was hitting all the par times with the training.  I did call a few misses on a plate or two during my transition.  I’m extremely happy with my progress today.

I also noted that the SCSA updated today.  I'm inching closer to GM.

Division

Class

High %

Current %

High % Set

PCC Optics

M

6/20/18

6/24/18

Dry fire Drills to complete this week:

·         Pendulum

·         .40 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.15 par time (T1)

·         .45 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.60 par time (T2)

·         .45 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 2.05 par time (T3)

·         .55 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 2.60 par time (T4)

I only got in two dry fire sessions last week.  Bad weather and life got in the way.  I took the kids fishing two days and the weather was miserable the other days I wanted to practice.  So, naturally today I made time for the much needed dry fire training.  Today, Pendulum was the first choice for my training.  The plan was the same as always. 10 repetitions to each of the five segments of the stage.  In reality, with each stage I practice, I get 50 repetitions on plate 1, 40 repetitions on plate 2, 30 repetitions on plate 3, 20 repetitions on plate 4 and 10 repetitions on plate 5.  I’m thinking I might make some changes to the stage plan where I start in reverse order.

Pendulum training was decent tonight.  I made some small errors on plate 4 where I broke the shot over the plate.  The 12moa dot is very large!  I need to get a small round plate and walk the dot on and off of the plate to see where I need to be to call a good hit.

Edited by stick

6/25/18

Dry fire training to complete today.

·         Smoke & Hope

·         .22 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 .82 par time (T1)

·         .45 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.22 par time (T2)

·         .22 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 1.44 par time (T3)

·         .45 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 1.89 par time (T4)

I’m beginning to figure out this whole pyramid training.  I went out today, in between the rain drops and worked on Smoke & Hope.  Normally, I start with the low ready draw with the PCC to plate 1.  Tonight I decided to change it up and work on my transitions.  This is why I like the pyramid training.  It allows me to see where my weaknesses are and it gives me the ability to work on them.  So, I started with the .82 par time for plates 1 & 2.  I quickly noticed that my transitions became shorter and faster.  I then worked on transition #2 which is plates 4-5-1 (My sequence is 4-5-1-2-stop).  My par time was 1.22.  After working on the transitions, I again added another transition to plate 2.  I noticed I was not transitioning as fast as I was between plates 4-5.  I also found (I already knew) that my last transition from plate 2 to the stop plate is where I’m losing my most time.  I was either over indexing to under indexing to the stop plate.  I had an aha moment when I decided to get my NPA (Natural point of aim) on the stop plate.  I worked on having the gun stop directly on the stop plate.  I adjusted my aim and then just turned slightly to the right to be able to come up on plate 4 for my first shot.  I’ll have to continue to work on this until it becomes second nature. 

I had another aha moment when I was messing around with my CED7000 timer.  I just realized that in my dry fire training, I use my phone with an app for all of my training.  Well, when reading the CED7000 manual, I realized that I wasn’t allowing time for the start and stop beeps.  So now, I need to shorten all of my times to allow for the start and stop beeps.  This might be one of the reasons I’m slower in live fire.

6/26/18

89507330_steelhits.thumb.png.8790eeb0ab329a27d2fd80d8a1423ef2.png1074390463_steelhits1.png.1f7853bc0767e09c78d9ea810f6b6e5f.png

I took the kids to the range for some live fire practice.  I had to ensue my Steel Challenge PCC was sighted in for the 12moa dot I installed.  In size comparison to the 8moa dot I had, the 12moa is a lot larger.  I really like the larger dot size.  I proceeded to sight it in from 25 yards.  After it was sighted in, I wanted to see what was a suitable sight picture with the C-more and still get a hit on steel.  I was really surprised what a hit was.  The diagram above shows the 7 good hits on steel.  The only shot that didn't hit steel was the last image.  I know how to call my shots with the 12moa dot and the margin for error was a lot bigger than I had anticipated.  I now feel confident knowing my acceptable sight picture for each of the steel challenge stages.

After I finished practicing, I took the kids to the 200 yard range for some practice.  My daughter shot her 243, my son shot his 223 and I shot my 308.  We all took turns hitting a 10” steel plate at 200 yards.

steel hits.png

6/27/18

·         Speed Option

·         .38 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.13 par time (T1)

·         .50 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.63 par time (T2)

·         .50 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 2.13 par time (T3)

·         .50 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 2.63 par time (T4)

Speed Option was today’s choice for practice.  I ran five repetitions of the pyramid training.  I then decided to run the entire stage 10 times.  It was about 50/50 whether I made the par time or not.  Half of the time, I got the hits in before the buzzer and the other half, right after the buzzer.  I seemed a little slow on the draw today.  I’m also still working through the 12moa dot size on the targets.  Yesterday I walked the dot, so I now know what to call a good hit.  I can see why I’m at 84.81% on this stage.  I can’t expect miracles!  I’ve only been doing this steel challenge thing for 6 months now.  I’m at a point where my time is getting harder to improve upon by leaps and bounds. (4.11% to make GM)  I will get there in time.  When my time is right.

6/28/18

·         Outer Limits

·         .80 par time from low ready to plate #1

·         .35 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.15 par time (T1)

·         2.05 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 3.20 par time (T2)

·         .35 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 3.55 par time (T3)

·         .45 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 4.0 par time (T4)

Wanting to avoid the monsoon heading my way, I got out for a somewhat abbreviated dry fire session tonight.  I skipped the draw and went straight to T1.  It was my first time practicing on Outer Limits with the 12moa dot.  My second set was T2.  This is where I really spent most of my time.  I was focusing on getting low and staying low during my transition to the second box.  When I stayed low, I noticed less dot bounce and I was more stable when entering the box.  I proceeded to move to T3 and T4.  When I stayed low transitioning and entering the box, I noticed that I was faster since I had less dot bounce.  I was able to get the dot on target faster.  I need to really get out and run some serious repetitions on this stage.  In the future, I’m going to focus on T2, T3 & T4.

6/29/18

·         Accelerator

·         .28 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.3 par time (T1)

·         .45 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.48 par time (T2)

·         .45 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 1.93 par time (T3)

·         .45 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 2.38 par time (T4)

Another night trying to dodge the rain drops.  I started on T1 and did 5 repetitions.  T2 had another 5 repetitions, but I decided to do 10 repetitions on T3 because of a missed plate.  T4&T5 also had 5 repetitions.  I then decided to do 15 repetitions with the timer set at the 2.38 par time.  This stage felt really good tonight.  My transitions from plate 2 to plate 5 were really good.  I feel really confident in this stage.  Eight days until my next steel challenge match.  I did get in 5 dry fire trainings this week.  I’ll try and get out and practice after work before the rain starts again.

6/30/18

·         Showdown

·         .35 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.08 par time (T1)

·         2.05 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.43 par time (T2)

·         .35 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 1.78 par time (T3)

·         .45 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 2.13 par time (T4)

Another night trying to dodge the rain drops.  I really did not want to practice tonight, but I embraced the suck and went outside anyway.  Again, I started with T1.  I the jumped to T3 and noticed that if I really pushed the envelope, I could run the entire stage in 1.78.  This is an extreme time.  I ran approximately 20 repetitions from both the left and right banners.  I did not notice a significant speed difference from either side.  Now just to get my live fire run down to 1.78 seconds.

On 6/30/2018 at 7:34 PM, stick said:

6/30/18

·         Showdown

·         2.05 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.43 par time (T2)

Another night trying to dodge the rain drops.  I really did not want to practice tonight, but I embraced the suck and went outside anyway.  Again, I started with T1.  I the jumped to T3 and noticed that if I really pushed the envelope, I could run the entire stage in 1.78.  This is an extreme time.  I ran approximately 20 repetitions from both the left and right banners.  I did not notice a significant speed difference from either side.  Now just to get my live fire run down to 1.78 seconds.

Do you ever shoot matches or just dry fire?

1 hour ago, dmshozer1 said:

Do you ever shoot matches or just dry fire?

Yes, I shoot matches when my work schedule allows.  I work alternating weekends.  I'm off Saturday the 7th and Sunday the 8th.  I have a steel challenge match Saturday and a USPSA Classifier mach Sunday.

1 minute ago, stick said:

Yes, I shoot matches when my work schedule allows.  I work alternating weekends.  I'm off Saturday the 7th and Sunday the 8th.  I have a steel challenge match Saturday and a USPSA Classifier mach Sunday.

Kick ass!

7/2/18

I did some dry firing on Showdown and Outer Limits.  I didn't do my pyramid training.  Instead I just used my par times to shoot the stages.

7/3/18

What a day!  I didn't feel motivated to practice tonight.  I took the kids fishing this morning and my engine decided to die 4 miles off shore.  I had to wait over 2 hours for seatow to show up.  While waiting for seatow, I dropped a line and caught a bay bull shark.  I got the boat home and determined that I had an excessive amount of water in my fuel system. I spent a few hours draining the water from my fuel. (as much as i could)

I sucked it up and went out and dry fired speed option and pendulum.  I was a little slow on speed option and I was rocking pendulum.  I'm hoping tomorrow brings about a new attitude and a desire to practice.  Steel challenge match is only 4 days away.

Later in the week, I need to break out my USPSA PCC and work on some reloads for Sunday's Classifier match.

• 2 weeks later...

First post in almost two weeks.  Blew out my back and couldn't walk let alone shoot.

I managed to squeeze in a USPSA Classifier match today.

Match Results - Combined      
Place Name No. Class Div PF Category Match Pts Match %
1 Scott, Michael A78613 C PCC Min   473.3404 100.0000 %
2 XXX XXX B L Maj   424.7686 89.7385 %
3 XXX XXX U PCC Min Senior 417.0087 88.0991 %
4 XXX XXX U O Min   390.1105 82.4165 %
5 XXX XXX U PCC Min   374.5497 79.1290 %
6 XXX XXX U CO Min   366.1174 77.3476 %
7 XXX XXX C L Min   358.8811 75.8188 %
8 XXX XXX U PCC Maj Senior 355.4943 75.1033 %
9 XXX XXX C PCC Min   341.2988 72.1043 %
10 XXX XXX U L10 Maj   336.9286 71.1810 %

I'm still not sure if this a good thing or not?  For not shooting in almost two weeks, I did relatively well.  Let's say I'm satisfied with my performance today.  I'm not sure if I calculated the HF correctly from classifiers, but if i did, I'll be at 74.9938%  That's right 75% is A.  

I've taken some time off recently and I have a non shooting vacation with the kids coming up next week. I will have limited practice this week also. It's hard to battle the extreme humidity and heat to practice when I don't have a match for another month.

I shot a local USPSA match yesterday.  I can't post the overall results since I left with two stages remaining.  It was a fun day until the rain started.  Funny though.  I shot stage 8 in the pouring rain and I don't remember a mike on a target.  I had a hard time seeing the red dot with the bright sun before the downpour.  I also used the laser for a lot of the stages.  One of the shooters commented that he thought he saw fire flies jumping around.  Nope!  It was my green laser.  On stage 6, my last shot hit the no shoot.  Did I make it up?  Nope

I know that I've primarily practiced for Steel Challenge and my transitions are good in USPSA, but my footwork needs work.  I need to start catering my training for the discipline that I'm shooting.

Stage
Hits & Misses Points Penalties Score Place
  A B C D M NPM Steel Paper Steel M NS Proc Time HF Division
Stage 2 14 0 2 0 0 0 7 / 7 76 35 0 0 0 20.53 5.407 2 / 10
Stage 3 16 0 5 1 0 0 0 / 0 96 0 0 0 0 9.68 9.917 3 / 10
Stage 4 9 0 9 0 0 0 2 / 2 72 10 0 0 0 17.91 4.578 2 / 10
Stage 5 18 0 7 3 0 0 0 / 0 114 0 0 0 0 23.39 4.874 4 / 10
Stage 6 16 0 3 0 1 0 4 / 4 89 20 10 10 0 23.91 3.722 4 / 10
Stage 7 16 0 4 0 0 0 7 / 7 92 35 0 0 0 26.49 4.794 3 / 10
Stage 8 29 0 2 0 1 0 0 / 0 151 0 10 0 0 31.08 4.537 6 / 10
Overall 118 0 32 4 2 0 20 / 20 690 100 20 10 0 153   6 / 10

• 3 weeks later...

8/13/18

·         Pendulum

·         .40 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.15 par time (T1)

·         .45 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.60 par time (T2)

·         .45 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 2.05 par time (T3)

·         .55 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 2.60 par time (T4)

·         Speed Option

·         .38 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.13 par time (T1)

·         .50 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.63 par time (T2)

·         .50 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 2.13 par time (T3)

Well, I’m back in the saddle again!  I completed my first dry fire session in a very long time.  I grabbed the first two banners and got at it.  I was surprised that I really didn’t lose any of my speed and my transitions were relatively smooth.  I only had a problem breaking the shot early on several of the plates.  I know my fundamentals were sound.  I need to get some more reps under my belt before I try and push the times.  Overall, I’m happy with my performance after my layoff.  I actually haven’t touched a gun in nearly a month.  Later this week, I’ll practice with my other PCC since I have a USPSA match Saturday.

8/14/18

·         Showdown

·         .35 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.43 par time (T2)

I worked on showdown left first.  I worked the pyramid until I got to T3.  I actually was able to shoot the entire stage without the last transition.  My practice session ended up being 1.78 seconds and not 2.13.  After I worked showdown left, I jumped right into showdown right and the 1.78 par time.  After my layoff, I’m not seeing any major issues with my times.  I’m mostly seeing poor dot placement on the plates. 

8/15/18

·         Outer Limits

·         .35 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.15 par time (T1)

·         .35 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 3.20 par time (T2)

·         .35 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 3.55 par time (T3)

·         .45 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 4.0 par time (T4)

I decided to work on Outer Limits tonight.  I’m not really sure it was such a good idea.  I had trouble with my footing and my transitions from box to box.  Yes, the rain and wet grass played a variable, but I only really felt comfortable for a few repetitions.  The first two par times went well.  I was calling my shots nicely.  My trouble started on my first transition from box a to box b (T2).  My plant foot gave out and I slipped slightly throwing off my rhythm.  The next five repetitions I moved slower as I was ensuring I had solid footing.  My entry into the box was also sloppy.  I was standing too erect and the gun was bouncing.  I managed to make only about 2 or 3 of the 4.0 second par time.  The layoff definitely showed on this stage tonight.  I need to work on this stage again really soon.  I was not happy with my training tonight.

8/16/18

·         Accelerator

·         .28 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.3 par time (T1)

·         .45 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.48 par time (T2)

·         .45 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 1.93 par time (T3)

·         .45 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 2.38 par time (T4)

Fourth day back into dry fire and it seemed like I never took a month break.  This stage was extremely smooth tonight.  I didn’t encounter any issues while performing the pyramid training.  I was moving the gun smoothly and my transitions were fast and crisp.  Everything fell into place tonight with this stage.  I hope the remainder of the stages go this smoothly!

8/18/18

I Shot a USPSA match today at Ok Corral.  I finished 17th out of 86 overall and 1st in my division.  I'm happy with my performance.  I didn't have any major mistakes, but I could have done better with my entry and exits.  For not shooting in over a month, I'm extremely happy with my performance.

Place Name Member # class Division PF Categories Match Pts Match %
1 Scott, Michael A78613 B PCC MINOR   933.4164 100.000 %
2 XXX XXX A PCC MINOR   923.3272 98.919 %
3 XXX XXX C PCC MINOR Lady 841.8151 90.186 %
4 XXX XXX A PCC MINOR   791.3741 84.783 %
5 XXX XXX B PCC MINOR   752.593 80.628 %
6 XXX XXX C PCC MINOR Lady 748.7792 80.219 %
7 XXX XXX C PCC MINOR   693.8617 74.336 %
8 XXX XXX C PCC MINOR Super Senior 606.2049 64.945 %
9 XXX XXX D PCC MINOR Senior 284.8114 30.513 %
10 XXX XXX U PCC MINOR   273.6932 29.322 %
11 XXX XXX U PCC MINOR Super Senior 243.7356 26.112 %

Dry fire training to complete today. 8/19/18

·         Roundabout

·         .33 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.08 par time (T1)

·         .35 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.43 par time (T2)

·         .35 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 2.13 par time (T4)

I normally don’t do any dry fire on Sunday, but… I decided to go out and try out the new Gopro camera (Hero 5 Black).  I ran 10 repetitions on Roundabout with the 2.13 par time.  I set up the banner and noticed the rain and lightning approaching, so I just decided to do a quick dry fire.  The stage went as expected.  I was consistently making the 2.13 par time.  I’m not overly pushing this stage being that I’m currently over 100%.

Dry fire training to complete today.  8/20/18

·         Smoke & Hope

·         .22 transition from plate #4 to plate #3 .82 par time (T1)

·         .45 transition from plate #5 to plate #4 1.22 par time (T2)

·         .22 transition from plate #1 to plate #5 1.44 par time (T3)

·         .45 transition from plate #2 to stop plate 1.89 par time (T4)

I started out with 5 repetitions with a 1.89 par time.  I was miserably slow and I was nowhere near making the par time of 1.89.  I switched to the normal pyramid training where I walked up the plates.  I began to notice how much faster I was.  I was consistently making the par time of 1.89.  The only issue I noticed was my last transition from plate 2 to the stop plate.  I was slightly low on my shot calling.  I know from past training that low shots on the plates are misses.  I worked several timed and untimed transitions from plate 2 to the stop plate to reinforce my hits on the plate at speed.