Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stick's Training, Range and Match Log Diary

stick

a constant training routine that you can stick to is the key!  It doesn't really matter if it's 15 mins or 1 hr, what'd critical it that you do it on a regular basis.  remember what the US Olympic training team has said:  in order to get better at a skill you must work on it at least 4 times a week, more is better.  At 3 or less/week you will only be able to maintain whatever skills you have ... this is one of the reasons most shooters never really get any better.  they don't understand how much constant effort is required ...  Keep at it, I know you'll make it!

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3/15/18

Dry fire Drills to complete this week:

1.       Outer Limits

a.       3.96 par time.  I just had aha moment in my dry fire training today.  I noticed if I shot #1 and transitioned to #2 I would lean forward to get all of my weight going in the direction of my travel to the next box.  This allowed me to explode easier to the second box.  I was able to drop my time by .03-.05 seconds.

2.       Smoke & Hope

a.       1.97 par time.  I’m consistently running this stage around 2.0 seconds.  My transition from #5 back to #3 seems slow.  I need to find a way to cut .12 seconds on this stage.  I’m not trying to split hair; I’m trying to get 100% peak time on this stage. 

3.       Showdown Left Box and right box

a.       1.75 par time.  10 repetitions from each side.  The first shot is important to making the par time.  When I get a little slow, I’m pushing to make the par time.  When I get the first shot in (.49 to .59) I can easily make the par time on this stage.  I still think I’m faster on the left side, but today I was slightly faster on the right side.

4.       Speed Option

a.       2.63 par time.  Boy am I slow on this stage.  The first shot seems like it’s taking forever!  My indexing was sloppy and the dot was all over the place.  The longer it took me to index and got the dot on the target, the longer the stage took me to shoot. (Brain Surgery right?).  I’m at 3.07 seconds per run in matches.  I need to cut .44 seconds per run to max out this stage.  2.76 seconds will get me to 95%. 

Second Practice session today.

I went back through the stages again.  I had aha moment while working on Speed Option.  When I focus on the gun mount with my left hand on the end of the handguard, I pulled the gun tight into my shoulder and ensured that I had a solid cheek weld.  I noticed that the gun was easier to control.  The dot was much more stable and the gun came up to my eyes very quickly.

I has several solid runs on speed option making the par time of 2.63.   I ran all the banners again.  I’m noticing some small gains on some of the stages. (nothing to write home about).  I feel as though my training is progressing relatively well.  We’ll have to see what aha moments we can uncover tomorrow.

3/18/18

It's killing me not being able to practice.  I hate having my back go out and being horizontal in bed unable to move.  When I can stay vertical, I'll be doing one more week's worth of practice on my steel shoot banners until I switch for the other four stages.  My intended practice schedule is:

PCC Dry fire Schedule for the week of 3/18/18 -3/25/18

Weekly area of focus:  Steel Challenge Focus will be shooting, Smoke & Hope, Showdown, Speed Option and Outer Limits using the Steel challenge banners.

1.       Outer Limits

a.       3.96 par time

2.       Smoke & Hope

a.       1.90 par time

3.       Showdown Left Box

a.     1.70   par time

4.       Showdown Right Box

a   1.70 par time

5.       Speed Option

a.       2.63 par time

3/19/18

I'm somewhat vertical for the first time in four days, so naturally I thought it would be a good idea to practice.  The pain was too intense and the risks outweighed the rewards.  I managed to get back onside with relatively little back pain.  So....I guess we'll have to wait a few more days to practice.  Getting old sucks!

3/22/18

WOW!  First time practicing since I blew out my back a week ago!  My back was sore, so I just did a slow walk through on outer limits.  I’m beginning to understand the saying “you need to see faster” I’m seeing the dot on the target and I’m seeing when I miss.  The shoot steel banners have really helped me accelerate my training.  I’m getting close to switching banners with my friend.  I’m disappointed that I missed out on the last seven days of training due to my back going out.  I ended up doing two training session today. 

1.       Outer Limits

a.       3.96 par time.  First session. I just did a slow walk through.  I didn’t run the timer or even move quickly.  I don’t want to do anything to hurt my healing lower back. 

b.       Second session.  I didn’t want to push it and I still didn’t move from box to box.  I just did a simulation of the stage.  No timer!  Just indexing the gun for a proper sight picture.

2.       Smoke & Hope

a.       1.97 par time.  I’m really beginning to see why this stage is named smoke and hope.  The transitions are big.  I’m right around 1.97 on my dry fire runs.  I can cut my time down .02 or.03 by changing the way I align and present the gun on target.  If I get set with my cheek weld and just raise my eyes to the first target, I can get on target a little faster.  I might need to go back to a first shot drill on the big plate.  I need to see where my times can be improved.

b.       Second session.  I really worked on my NPA (Natural point of Aim) to the stop plate.  My time to the first target is fast enough.  I’m losing time from plate #5 back to the stop plate.  I’m swinging the gun back to the stop fast, but I’m slowing down to ensure I hit the stop plate.  I’ll work on transitions from #5 to #3 tomorrow.  I’ll work on developing a par time and I’ll see how low I can take it.

3.       Showdown Left Box and Right box

a.       1.70 par time.  This stage really fits my eye.  I like the target transitions and the proximity of the plates.  I can consistently make the 1.70 par time.  I’m actually anxious to see if I can get off four runs of 1.80-1.85 in a match.  I really think I can get a 7-7.5 run on this stage.

b.       Second session.  I still like the 1.70 par time.  I did make a mental mistake on my first run on right side showdown.  I shot the plates out of order and got confused.  Pre shot routine.  Turn on the dot, align NPA to the stop plate and dry fire the stage.

4.       Speed Option

a.       2.63 par time.  This stage is all about my cheek weld and how I hold the gun.  I was focusing on holding the handguard just over the end and pressing the gun into my shoulder.  When I did this, I noticed the gun was quicker coming up on the first target.

b.       Second session.  Continue to run the stage with the par time provided.  I’m developing a feel for the stage.  2.63 par time was not an issue during this session. 

3/23/18

I had a mind opening experience today.  I have all these extreme par times set for steel challenge.  Why?  I’m currently classed “Master” in Steel Challenge at 86.40%.  My next goal is to make GM at 95%.  Why am I pushing myself with par times that are 110%?  I’ve noticed that in my pursuit of these extreme par times, my form and sight tracking along with my acceptable sight picture has diminished.  I was rushing to make the par times and losing the intent of the practice.  Nimitz has a steel challenge podcast that discusses Steel Challenge.  He talks about seeing faster.  His catch phrase is slowing down is never the answer.  I’m not slowing down.  I’m coming back to reality.  I’m pushing myself hard to make GM.  I feel as though I’m going about it the wrong way.  I have the speed to make GM.  I need to ensure that I maintain the correct form while striving for perfection.  If I can achieve the 95% par times in matches, then I’ll push for 100%.  Until then, I’ll just concentrate on form and making the 95% par time on each stage.

1.      Outer Limits

a.      No Par Time (5 repetitions) working on form and sight picture

b.      4.20 par time (5 repetitions)

2.      Smoke & Hope

b.      1.97 par time (5 repetitions)

3.      Showdown Left Box and Right box

b.      2.13 par time (5 repetitions)  

4.      Speed Option

b.      2.76 par time (5 repetitions)

In my training today, I exhibited a little frustration on a couple of the stages.  I know it’s time to trade out the four stages with my friend.  my other thought was to order my own set of shoot steel banners.  I had originally split the cost with my friend.  My thought process now would be to practice four stages and swap for the other four the next day.  Currently, we utilize the same stages for two weeks then switch.  With eight stages, I’ll have the luxury and flexibility to swap and interchange banners every day/every other day.

3/24/18

1.      Outer Limits

a.      No par time (5 Repetitions) working on form and sight picture

b.      4.20 par time (5 repetitions)

2.      Smoke & Hope

b.      1.97 par time (5 repetitions)

3.      Showdown Left Box

b.      2.00 par time (5 repetitions)

4.      Showdown Right Box

b.      2.0 par time (5 repetitions)

5.      Speed Option

I had an early dry fire session today.  The five repetitions working on form and sight picture coupled with the five repetitions of timed practice seemed to fly by.  Smoke & Hope and Speed Option were my biggest challenges.  Smoke & Hope was just at or slightly above par time.  This stage continues to kick my butt in terms of percentage and time to shoot.  I feel as though I’m seeing the targets and my dot fast enough, but for some reason, I’m slightly slower than I need to be.  Speed Option coupled with my 8moa dot, just play havoc with my sight picture.  How much of the dot needs to cover the target In order for me to hit it?  That’s a question I need to answer in order to progress on that particular stage.  Outer Limits is progressing rather nicely give the circumstances with my back.  On the advice of doctors, I’m up and moving.  I’m afraid to explode out of the box in Outer Limits.  The 4.20 par time seemed easy to make when I kept proper form.  Today is the last day for the current banners, tomorrow I’ll swap them out for Roundabout, The Pendulum, 5 to go and Accelerator.

PCC Dry fire Schedule for the week of 3/25/18 -3/31/18

Weekly area of focus:  Steel Challenge Focus will be shooting, Roundabout, 5 To Go, Accelerator and The Pendulum using the Steel challenge banners.

1.      Roundabout

b.      2.23 par time (5 repetitions)

2.      5 To Go

3.      Accelerator

b.      2.49 par time (5 repetitions)

4.      The Pendulum

3/25/18

1.      Roundabout

2.      5 To Go

3.      Accelerator

4.      The Pendulum

Today was the first time using these four banners in two weeks.  I have a two week cycle with four of the banners.  Roundabout was a breeze at 2.23.  I know it’s 95% but I’ve already posted a 8.01 on that stage.  I’m seriously considering dropping the par time on that stage.  5 to go wasn’t a problem either at 2.76.  I did notice that if I snap to the final target it did reduce time.  After looking at my times, I noticed that 5 to go is actually incorrect.  95% stage time is actually 2.89 not 2.76.  Accelerator is another fun stage I enjoy practicing.  It has so many ways to shoot it.  I really focused on shooting #1 and drifting past #2 and moving my eyes faster to #5.  The transition from 4-3 was really quick.  Pendulum has changed my thought process.  I now shoot it straight across.  We’ll have to see how the week progresses, I might need to drop the par times a little.  I’m not sure my thoughts on it yet.  I might go back to 100% peak time to accommodate for the 10% reduction I have in dry fire versus live fire.  The back was better today since I didn’t have any movement.

3/27/18

1.      Roundabout

2.      5 To Go

3.      Accelerator

4.      The Pendulum

Dry fire training went particularly well today.  Accelerator was my first stage.  My dot is getting dim, so I know it’s time to change it.  Accelerator seemed to flow extremely well.  I think this setup the rest of my training.  I had no problem making the par time of 2.49.  5 To go was second and I remembered that I need a strong off hand hold on the handguard to stabilize the dot movement during the transition.  With the strong hold pulling the gun into my shoulder, I was able to transition very well from plate to plate with very little dot wiggle.  I again made the par time of 2.76.  The Pendulum was next and again with the strong hold, I was able to really stabilize the gun during the movement.  I made the par time on this stage too.  Roundabout was my last practice stage today.  I seemed very slow on this stage.  I was almost lackadaisical.  I don’t know?  Maybe because I already mastered this stage?  I know I have room for improvement.  I need to drop the par times in an effort to go faster.  Only 5 more days until the Easter Steel Challenge match at OK Corral.  I can’t wait to see what progress I’ve made since my last match.

3/28/18

1.      Roundabout

a.      1.90 par time (10 repetitions)

2.      5 To Go

a.      2.75 par time (10 repetitions)

3.      Accelerator

a.      2.38 par time (10 repetitions)

4.      The Pendulum

a.      2.63 par time (10 repetitions)

I decided to go back to GM times for the stages.  The 5 repetitions followed by the five timed repetitions was not really doing anything for me.  I decided to go back to the ten timed runs based off of GM times for each stage.  The ten repetitions gave me the best benefit to time ratio with my dry fire training.  This will allow me to gauge my progress in dry fire training.  I was getting a little lazy.

I seemed little slow on a couple of stages tonight.  Accelerator and 5 to go seemed slow on a most of the repetitions.  A couple of the repetitions were really fast, the others slow (for me).  I feel that I can make the par time on all the stages.  I just need to repeat the process in live fire.  Pendulum was the fastest stage tonight followed by roundabout.  I don’t know, maybe my old 5 repetition runs slowed me down.  I’ll need to pick up the pace if I’m going to make GM.

3/29/18

1.      Roundabout

2.      5 To Go

3.      Accelerator

4.      The Pendulum

Having to work a double today, I had to get up early and dry fire.  The first stage was Accelerator.  It was a little slow.  I made about 60% of the par time runs on this stage.  5 to go was the second stage and I was still slow.  Pulling the gun in helps with the dot wiggle, but I was just a little slow transitioning from plate to plate.  I probably made about 45% of the par time.  Pendulum was third and it actually went well.  I’m sticking with shooting it straight across and I made all of the runs under the par time.  Roundabout was last and all the runs were pretty much the same as pendulum.  I only have two more dry fire practice sessions before my next steel challenge match Sunday.

3/30/18

1.      Roundabout

a.      1.90 par time (10 repetitions) 2.23 is 95% par time for this stage.  This stage is just really too easy for that high of a par time.  I like the 1.90 par time.  anything under 2.13 will yield 100% on the stage.  I’m consistently meeting the par time during dry fire tonight.  I need to beat my personal best time of 8.01 on this stage.  Tonight I was meeting the par time without any problems.  I might need to push it down a little more to really push myself faster.

2.      5 To Go

a.      2.75 par time (10 repetitions) 2.89 is 95% par time for this stage.  I noticed that my time on this stage was dependent on the time it took me to get on the first target, when I was quick to pick up the dot and steady it on the plate, I made the par time without any issues.  When I was sloppy on the dot, I was just over the par time.

3.      Accelerator

a.      2.38 par time (10 repetitions) 2.49 is 95% par time for this stage.  This stage was giving me partial fits tonight.  I was over transitioning to plate #5 and then I was breaking the shot early on plate #2.  Smooth and steady is what I need to do.  The par time was relatively easy when I stayed smooth.

4.      The Pendulum

a.      2.63 par time (10 repetitions) 2.76 is 95% par time on this stage.  I really liked how I was transitioning from the higher to lower plates.  The par time was also relatively easy when I stayed smooth.

3/31/18

1.      Roundabout

2.      5 To Go

3.      Accelerator

4.      The Pendulum

I had my last dry fire session before tomorrow’s Steel Challenge match.  Instead of running 10 continuous repetitions, I decided to break them down into two 5 repetition runs.  This will allow me to mimic the actual stages with 5 runs each.  Dry fire went really well today.  I feel very comfortable with the stages and how I’m going to shoot them.  Since the last few months have had 5 weeks in them, my rotating weekends off has switched slightly.  Tomorrow is a match, next Saturday will be another match.  I have decided to switch banners with my friend tomorrow as well.  Switching banners will allow us to practice all the stages for the upcoming matches.

All of the stages went according to plan today.  I really didn’t see any deficiencies with any of the par times.  5 to go was probably the slowest.  I was ensuring that I hit each plate.  Roundabout was the fastest stage, while pendulum felt the smoothest.  I’m excited to see how my live fire compares to my dry fire.  I’ll be tracking my times and recoding video of each stage.  I’ll post my results and video tomorrow after the match.

4/1/18

Results from the April Steel Challenge are in from Today’s Match at OK Corral.

They decided to have 7 sanctioned stages and one fun stage for the Easter match.  Since I decided not to shoot the fun stage, my scores are incomplete.  Here are my scores from the match.

Name USPSA Class Division Time Accelerator Roundabout Five to Go Pendulum Speed Option Show Down  Smoke & Hope
Scott, Michael A78613 M PCCO 74.95 11.83 7.83 10.51 14.07 12.65 9.18 8.88

I took the stage win on two stages (Roundabout and 5 to go).  I totally tanked Pendulum.  I had a major gun malfunction and a screw up that cost me too much time.  I'm really happy with the way I shot today.  I'm not happy with the way my gun malfunctioned.  I ended up re-installing the weight into my Taccom bolt.  If I have issues again next Saturday, I'll have to rework my load and increase my Power Factor.  Here's a few videos from Today's match.

And one on HOW NOT TO SHOOT A STEEL CHALLENGE STAGE!

Updated Scores from Today's Match

Final Name USPSA Class Division Time Stage 1 Accelerator Stage 2 Roundabout Stage 3 Five To Go Stage 4 Pendulum Stage 6 Speed Option Stage 7 Show Down Stage 8 Smoke & Hope
1 Scott, Michael A78613 M PCCO 74.95 11.83 7.83 10.51 14.07 12.65 9.18 8.88
2 XXX XXX B PCCO 85.82 11.33 9.72 14.89 15.06 15.15 9.64 10.03
3 XXX XXX M PCCO 90.38 11.86 9.65 12.01 11.47 13.67 10.51 8.5
4 XXX XXX M PCCO 91.26 12.23 8.47 11.29 13.28 12.39 8.78 12.38
5 XXX XXX U PCCO 101.91 12.92 12.97 19.74 16.34 15.22 11.78 12.94
6 XXX XXX B PCCO 103.29 13.22 10.37 15.28 13.93 13.18 10.8 9.99
7 XXX XXX C PCCO 112.42 13.08 10.41 12.57 16.62 16.89 14.09 10.01
8 XXX XXX B PCCO 118.34 15.67 11.15 16.57 14.56 16.5 12.91 10.82
9 XXX XXX B PCCO 128.86 19.45 12.52 15.79 16.49 15.97 13.24 13.27

Since I’m primarily dry firing the same stages for steel challenge day after day, I have decided to post my weekly progress weekly instead of daily.  I have no intentions of stopping my training routine.  I’m simply just going to compile the week’s progress into one post instead of five or seven.  If I have a major break though or something I deem important, then I’ll post that on a separate post.

PCC Dry fire Schedule for the week of 4/1/18 -4/7/18

Weekly area of focus:  Steel Challenge Focus will be shooting Outer Limits, Smoke & Hope, Showdown & Speed Option.

Dry fire Drills to complete this week:  Each Stage will consist of ten repetitions (2 sets of 5)

1.      Outer Limits

a.      4.00 par time

2.      Smoke & Hope

a.      1.88 par time

a.      1.90 par time. 

4.      Speed Option

a.      2.63 par time. 

4/1/18-Steel Challenge Match at Ok Corral

I had new personal best times for Five to Go (10.51)104.66%, Showdown (9.18) 92.59%, Smoke & Hope (8.88) 84.46% and Roundabout (7.83) 108.56%.  I had very high expectations for Pendulum; however, I had some gun issues and a missed target.  My score suffered.  I had respectable times on Speed Option (12.65) and Accelerator (11.63).  My new percentage will be 89.12%. (5.88% away from Grand Master).

4/2/18

Today was a really good dry fire session.  I did double repetitions on Smoke & Hope and Speed Option.  I switched my shooting pattern on Smoke & Hope to 4-5-1-2-3.  I feel that it’s a little faster than 1-2-4-5-3.  I had some really good runs.  Speed Option still gives me fits.  It’s a difficult stage to conquer.  I have the par time set at 2.63.  Outer Limits was really exciting today!  I was frequently coming in under the par time of 4.00 seconds.  I was exploding out of the first box and settling nicely into the second box.  Showdown was humming tonight.  I was easily beating the par time.  I just need to transfer my dry fire into my live fire.  In time, I will be able to perform at the level I’m striving for.  I was really seeing the plates fast tonight!  Excited for the next match Saturday April 7th.

4/3/18

I had two dry fire sessions today (One in the morning and one tonight).  In the morning session, I had some really good runs on several stages.  Speed Option was one that came to mind.  I had some really solid runs under the par time.  Smoke & Hope was really feeling better as well.  I don’t know how much faster I can see this stage.  Only time will tell.  Outer Limits was another smooth stage this morning.  Most of my runs were at or under the 4.0 second par time.  The evening dry fire session had its ups and down’s.  Outer Limits seemed a little slow tonight.  Maybe because I practiced after dinner?  I didn’t seem to explode out of the box.  I’m really starting to put down some really fast times in showdown.  I just need to carry it over into my live fire sessions.  Smoke & Hope was still shot 4-5-1-2-3.  I still feel that this is faster.  Speed Option is feeling a lot better the more I practice it.  I’m sticking with shooting it 5-4-3-1-2.  When SCSA updates tomorrow morning, I’ll be sitting at 89.12%.  I’m inching closer to GM.

4/4/18

1.      Outer Limits

a.      4.00 par time.  This was a good stage today.  I had some really good times during dry fire.  I was exploding from the first box and I was transitioning to the last array of targets nicely. 

2.      Smoke & Hope

a.      1.88 par time.  This stage was a train wreck today.  I was all over the place with the dot.  I ended up running 5 extra runs since I had such a bad session.  I need to focus and keep the gun moving from plate to plate.  Smooth is fast!

a.      1.90 par time.  I had a better session from the right box.  The left box was another train wreck.  I was all over the place!  I’m trying to go to fast too soon.  I’m fast enough on my transitions and seeing the plates.  I need to quit racing the 1.90 par time and ensure I’m seeing/hitting what I’m aiming at.

4.      Speed Option

a.      2.63 par time.  Mixed emotions on this stage today.  I had a few really solid runs and a couple of slower runs.  I just need to practice this stage more and more.  I’ve said it several times, when I get a good grip and get a good index on plate 5, I had faster runs.

4/5/18

I had really good balance today.  I felt very solid on my feet.  My transitions very still very smooth.

1Outer Limits

b.      4.00 par time.  This stage felt very smooth today.  I was exploding out of the box nicely and my transitions were smooth also.  I had several runs under the allotted 4.0 par time.  I also had a couple of runs that were slightly over the par time too.  Over time, I will develop my rhythm and begin to really put down some good times.

5.      Smoke & Hope

b.      1.88 par time.  This stage continues to give me fits.  Hopefully in time, I’ll start dropping some valuable seconds off my time.  My low time on this stage is 8.88.  I need to drop 1.38 seconds overall or 0.345 per run.  I don’t see me doing that any time soon.

6.      Showdown Left Box and Right box

c.       1.90 par time.  This is still one of my favorite stages.  I thought I was faster from the right side, but I feel that my natural transition flow is faster left to right versus right to left.  I’m working hard to get my live fire runs down to my dry fire runs.  Right now, there is a .24 difference between the two.

7.      Speed Option

d.      2.63 par time.  This is still one of the hardest stages in Steel Challenge.  The transitions and swings are very big on this stage.  Again, over time, I’ll get my rhythm and begin to really drop seconds. 

4/6/18

8.      Outer Limits

a.      4.00 par time.  I was a little bouncy on this stage tonight.  My movement was a little slow and jerky.  I had a couple of decent runs focusing on the step before entering the second box.

9.      Smoke & Hope

b.      1.88 par time.  I actually did 20 repetitions tonight.  I decided to stay with my previous order of 4-5-1-2-3.  I’m pushing hard on this stage.  I need to continue to focus on seeing the plates faster.

10.  Showdown Left Box and Right box

c.       1.90 par time.  I was laying down some really fast runs on this stage tonight.  I need to translate the dry fire training into the match environment tomorrow.

11.  Speed Option

d.      2.63 par time.  Speed option.  What can I say other than this is just a slow stage no matter how you slice it.

Tomorrow is the Steel Challenge match at PMRPC.  I can’t wait to see how my training has progressed.

4/7/18

Worst Match experience ever!

I’m a member of a club that hosts several matches per month in several shooting disciplines.  The club and individuals shall remain nameless for anonymity purposes.  I signed up for the April monthly steel challenge match on March 9th.  I arrive at the match early as usual with a friend to walk though, check-in, load mags and mentally prepare for the shoot.  At the shooter’s briefing, the match director explains that several registered shooters are not attending the match.  Not a big deal (it happens all the time).  He then explains that two squads are being merged. Another squad was being added to my squad to make one full squad.  We get the tablets and the wrong squads were merged.  Our squad was not listed on the tablet.  Not a big deal right?  We decide to just add the missing shooters to the squad.  We then notice that we have fourteen shooters on our squad.  We get the match director from the squad behind us to figure out why we have such a large squad.  He sees that we are adding the missing shooters from the original squad into the tablet.  He immediately starts yelling and threatening to DQ my friend for touching the tablet.  I was ROing shooters and manually writing down times to reduce the time we were going to spend trying to get the shooters information synced into the tablets.  I hand off the timer and immediately approach the match director to explain what was going on.  He immediately starts yelling at me and threatened to DQ me.  He also stated “you’ll never shoot here again”.  Now I’m pissed!  I immediately seek out the club president (who was also shooting the match) and inform him of the match director’s behavior.  He promised to handle it.  But the damage was done.  I was done mentally before I ever fired a shot.  Our squad sucked!  We basically had 3 of us doing all the duties of scoring and ROing.  Everyone else just did nothing.  After the completion of the match, the same three of us were helping clean up.  Everyone else just did the shoot and scoot.  I never got into the correct mindset.  I’m not one to push conflict, but I won’t back down when I’m threatened.  I’m so upset that I’m considering not shooting that match anymore while (person X) is match director.  I shoot USPSA, Action Steel and Steel Challenge.  My focus is currently on Steel Challenge since I’m only 5.88% away from making GM in PCCO.  If I boycott the match at my home club, it would only leave me shooting one steel challenge match a month.

I haven't even seen the scores posted yet.  I'm not really looking forward to seeing them either.  I'm going to take a few days off from practice to decide what I'm going to do.

***Update***  Here's an E-mail I just got from the match director.

Michael and Stephen,

You have been DQ from April Steel Challenge Match. You will  be allowed to compete again starting in  June  for the Action Steel and /or Steel Challenge Matches.

USPSA Handgun Competition Rules, Section 10.6, Unsportsmanlike conduct

Going forward,  you must attend shooters briefings and abide by directions of match officials (RO/MD), attempt no modifications to any electronic scoring devices regarding shooters or squads and maintain a calm, professional, courteous  demeanor at all times. 

Feel free to reply with any questions and or appeal.
Edited by stick

I have a feeling they may not be able to post them. You didn't even tell the rest of the story. :) Dead timer on a stage (a few of them were really low and this happened last month as well), searching for 2x4's to replace broken ones, etc. I didn't realize it was so late when we finished, I was close to being late for work. I'm going to write him an email, I'm just sorting out how I want to say things. I don't know if he's ever been an MD before but the match quality and fun factor have decreased since he took over. 

I wasn't fond of being moved to a different starting stage in their attempt to speed up the "slow" squad. I sign up where I do for a reason. If he wants to speed up the slow squad he should put himself in that squad and help them go faster, not move the rest of us around. I got moved last month for a different reason. The comments he made at the briefing about the "C to B" shooter from last month wasn't cool either. The persons classification shouldn't matter and should never have been mentioned, either do what the person asked or don't. 

8 hours ago, stick said:

4/7/18

Worst Match experience ever!

I’m a member of a club that hosts several matches per month in several shooting disciplines.  The club and individuals shall remain nameless for anonymity purposes.  I signed up for the April monthly steel challenge match on March 9th.  I arrive at the match early as usual with a friend to walk though, check-in, load mags and mentally prepare for the shoot.  At the shooter’s briefing, the match director explains that several registered shooters are not attending the match.  Not a big deal (it happens all the time).  He then explains that two squads are being merged. Another squad was being added to my squad to make one full squad.  We get the tablets and the wrong squads were merged.  Our squad was not listed on the tablet.  Not a big deal right?  We decide to just add the missing shooters to the squad.  We then notice that we have fourteen shooters on our squad.  We get the match director from the squad behind us to figure out why we have such a large squad.  He sees that we are adding the missing shooters from the original squad into the tablet.  He immediately starts yelling and threatening to DQ my friend for touching the tablet.  I was ROing shooters and manually writing down times to reduce the time we were going to spend trying to get the shooters information synced into the tablets.  I hand off the timer and immediately approach the match director to explain what was going on.  He immediately starts yelling at me and threatened to DQ me.  He also stated “you’ll never shoot here again”.  Now I’m pissed!  I immediately seek out the club president (who was also shooting the match) and inform him of the match director’s behavior.  He promised to handle it.  But the damage was done.  I was done mentally before I ever fired a shot.  Our squad sucked!  We basically had 3 of us doing all the duties of scoring and ROing.  Everyone else just did nothing.  After the completion of the match, the same three of us were helping clean up.  Everyone else just did the shoot and scoot.  I never got into the correct mindset.  I’m not one to push conflict, but I won’t back down when I’m threatened.  I’m so upset that I’m considering not shooting that match anymore while (person X) is match director.  I shoot USPSA, Action Steel and Steel Challenge.  My focus is currently on Steel Challenge since I’m only 5.88% away from making GM in PCCO.  If I boycott the match at my home club, it would only leave me shooting one steel challenge match a month.

I haven't even seen the scores posted yet.  I'm not really looking forward to seeing them either.  I'm going to take a few days off from practice to decide what I'm going to do.

Wow Stick,

If one shoots in competition enough this crap will happen, more than once probably.

Hard to do but try to get over it and continue your journey to GM. Try to consider matches like this as a test of concentration. Takes the fun

out of it but it is what it is.

Sounds like the club has problems both with personal and the way it is run. I hope you and your buddy can stay calm when trying to help the club

with it's problems.

Hang in there. What choice do you have?

6 hours ago, promtcy said:

I have a feeling they may not be able to post them. You didn't even tell the rest of the story. :) Dead timer on a stage (a few of them were really low and this happened last month as well), searching for 2x4's to replace broken ones, etc. I didn't realize it was so late when we finished, I was close to being late for work. I'm going to write him an email, I'm just sorting out how I want to say things. I don't know if he's ever been an MD before but the match quality and fun factor have decreased since he took over. 

I wasn't fond of being moved to a different starting stage in their attempt to speed up the "slow" squad. I sign up where I do for a reason. If he wants to speed up the slow squad he should put himself in that squad and help them go faster, not move the rest of us around. I got moved last month for a different reason. The comments he made at the briefing about the "C to B" shooter from last month wasn't cool either. The persons classification shouldn't matter and should never have been mentioned, either do what the person asked or don't. 

Check this out

Michael and Stephen,

You have been DQ from April Steel Challenge Match. You will  be allowed to compete again starting in  June  for the Action Steel and /or Steel Challenge Matches.

Going forward,  you must attend shooters briefings and abide by directions of match officials (RO/MD), attempt no modifications to any electronic scoring devices regarding shooters or squads and maintain a calm, professional, courteous  demeanor at all times. 

3 minutes ago, stick said:

Check this out

Michael and Stephen,

Okay, they have gone to far,

I would not want to be associated with a club with people like that

F--k um!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, dmshozer1 said:

Okay, they have gone to far,

I would not want to be associated with a club with people like that

F--k um!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess it doesn't apply to the match director.  I'm waiting on a phone call from the club president.  If nothing gets done, I'll never shoot steel challenge there again while this jackoff is match director.