Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stick's Training, Range and Match Log Diary

stick

11/25/18

Action Steel Match today.  I ended up finishing 3rd out of 21 in PCC and 4th out of 81 Overall.  Watch stage 2 where I totally wipe out.  I slipped and fell on my butt, but I did keep the gun pointed downrange and in a safe position.  Enjoy the video.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1/19/19

I can't believe it's been almost two months since I've shot a match.  With moving and getting sick, the time flies by.  I finally got out to shoot a match today.  Action Steel was on the agenda today.  I went in without any expectations and to my surprise, I took first overall out of 60 shooters.  The scores are posted below.  I'll upload the Go-pro video tomorrow.  It's good to be back.  Now just to start practicing again.

Final Name Division Time Stage 1  Stage 2  Stage 3  Stage 4  Stage 5
1 Scott, Michael PCCO 99.79 13.44 19.06 20.04 16.6 30.65
2 XXX PCCO 101.24 17.62 17.09 17.56 21.26 27.71
3 XXX PCCO 103.4 17.28 24.02 22.57 15.79 23.74
4 XXX PCCO 117.98 15.03 25.34 24.72 20.92 31.97
5 XXX PCCO 120.14 17.56 24.52 21.27 22.13 34.66
6 XXX PCCO 124.44 17.12 26.56 26.73 20.62 33.41
7 XXX CFO 125.15 24.13 24.35 21.2 25.71 29.76
8 XXX PCCO 128.34 21.58 19.86 21.79 17.52 47.59
9 XXX PCCO 131.76 19.02 25.72 26.52 19.32 41.18
10 XXX CFI 135.24 26.91 32.08 17.54 23.21 35.5

18 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Nice shooting!  Could hardly see those small targets...  The must have been the bonus targets...  Cool idea...

Smart to have non-falling plates.

It was a bonus plate to remove 5 seconds from your time.  You could only shoot at it once.  If you missed, you didn't get the bonus.  They were 4 inch red plates.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot my second match of the year yesterday.  Action Steel was fun and challenging.  I ended up 3rd in my division and 7th overall.  Take away the stupid penalties and I did rather well.

• 1 month later...

I think the penalties are there for a reason. :) 

Ok, I gotta ask; Why are some clubs (you know the other one I mean) going to 3 shots on square or rectangular plates instead of just sticking with 2? I can't articulate why, I'm just not a fan of it. Of course I'm not a fan of shooting the same plates from different positions either. I feel like I'm wasting ammo. :)

I haven't actually asked the match director the reason. I haven't shot in a while and I was helping them setup a practice and ran the timer for him to shoot. He told me about it and said the members seemed to like it. What It seems like to me is that there's now somewhere between 2-4 shooting positions. Kinda like if you combined 2-3 Steel Challenge stages. I have heard from other people the reason for shooting the same plates is so people get to shoot a decent amount of rounds as the match is usually 4-5 stages. Plus lugging those plates around gets old. I get that, yet I've shot stages at CFRP and VCGHC that were 20-25 rounds and a lot of fun. It seems to me it's become Stand and Shoot steel instead of Action Steel. 

Granted, it's easy for me to question it because I"m not able to help setup matches, only some practices. I know it's tough work and I can see some reasons why a match director might want to do it. I'm just curious how you and other competitors feel about it since I'm the only one I've ever heard say they didn't care for it. 

• 2 months later...

6/25/19

Yes! I fell off the face of the earth.  This year has really sucked for me!  I've had problem after problem.  I started out the year with a gastric bleed from a issue I had four years ago.  Luckily it's nothing major and with medication I'm back to normal.  Fast forward another month or two and I go back into Afib.  I've had Afib before and it usually only lasts 1-2 days until my heart converts back into sinus rhythm.  unfortunately, this time I can't convert back into a sinus rhythm.  My cardiologist recommends a cardiac ablation.  After some discussion and research, I schedule an appointment with an Electrophysiologist.  I ended up having a radio frequency cardiac ablation.  Basically they map your heart and determine the cause of the Afib, then they use heat to scar the heart where the Afib is generated.  I'm five weeks post surgery and I feel amazing.  I'm taking off shooting for a while until I go back to my electrophysiologist on July 10th.  My cardiologist has already cleared me, but with the Florida heat, I don't want to take any chances.  I'm eager to get back out shooting.  I just want to give my body time to heal.

4 hours ago, stick said:

6/25/19

Yes! I fell off the face of the earth.  This year has really sucked for me!  I've had problem after problem.  I started out the year with a gastric bleed from a issue I had four years ago.  Luckily it's nothing major and with medication I'm back to normal.  Fast forward another month or two and I go back into Afib.  I've had Afib before and it usually only lasts 1-2 days until my heart converts back into sinus rhythm.  unfortunately, this time I can't convert back into a sinus rhythm.  My cardiologist recommends a cardiac ablation.  After some discussion and research, I schedule an appointment with an Electrophysiologist.  I ended up having a radio frequency cardiac ablation.  Basically they map your heart and determine the cause of the Afib, then they use heat to scar the heart where the Afib is generated.  I'm five weeks post surgery and I feel amazing.  I'm taking off shooting for a while until I go back to my electrophysiologist on July 10th.  My cardiologist has already cleared me, but with the Florida heat, I don't want to take any chances.  I'm eager to get back out shooting.  I just want to give my body time to heal.

Great news Stick!

Kinda the same year for me so I know where your at.

• 1 month later...

First match in 4 months. I can't believe it's been 2 months since my heart procedure for Afib.  I decided on a whim to shoot the Action Steel match at OK Corral.  I put together a video of the stages.  I missed stage 6 somehow, my gopro doesn't want to listen lately.  I didn't post any of the scores since I was just trying to get back into the grove.  from watching the video, I really should start practicing again.  I noticed that my transitions were slow, I don't stay on the gun, I was mashing the trigger, my movement was slow and indecisive, etc.  The temperature was scorching and I'm out of shape for shooting.  I'll slowly start working on training and getting back into shooting shape for the cooler winter months.  Here's the video for the match.

• 2 weeks later...

Can this year get any worse?  First my GI Bleed, then my heart procedure, now my back.  Damn, I'm only 51.  Not being able to practice or shoot sucks!  I'm on the mend, hopefully I'll be recovered in time to shoot when the temperature cools off.

• 1 month later...

Another weather scare and the weekend matches were cancelled!  So I decided to head to the range today to sight in my Venom on my new dedicated CORE slide.  I must admit, I really like the ported slide with the ported barrel.  My only problem was my ammo.  I'm using my PCC ammo which is 130pf out of my PCC, but only 112pf out of my M&P.  Let's just say that I got a lot of work clearing jams (every shot)  The PCC ammo would not cycle the gun.  I also noticed the gun is relatively clean EXCEPT for the area around the ported slide and the ported barrel.

I got home and I loaded up 10 test rounds. (3.8gr Titegroup with Everglades 124gr recess base RN)  I'll have to see if they make PF and cycle the gun.

It felt good to get out and practice!  Except for the 7 day heart monitor my doctor had me wear.  Stupid thing kept telling me one of the senors were off.  I finally got frustrated and just turned the damn thing off.  With each passing day, I'm closer to being 100% released by my electrophysiologist.  Heart monitor is the last step!  

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got out to shoot another match today.  It didn't go as expected with my performance.  I finished 21st out of 71 overall and 8th out of 13 in PCC.  I had two stages just totally wreck my score.  One stage I had a gun malfunction and another I took 20 seconds in penalties.  Oh well!  At least I was finally able to shoot a match.  After watching the videos,  I now know what I have to practice for the next match.

On a side note, I did test 10 rounds in the M&P core (3.8gr Titegroup & 124gr Everglades RN)  The gun cycled fine and I think the load is going to work well for the ported barrel and slide.

Here's the video of today's match

• 2 weeks later...

I had an appointment for the Electrophysiologist on Wednesday.  The doctor is happy with the results and he has called me "cured"  

I've had a very unmotivated month.  I haven't felt the urge or need for that matter to practice.  I'm in a funk with training!  I had a USPSA match on Saturday.  I was looking forward to getting out and having some fun.  The stages didn't cooperate. Our squad had range issues the first three stages that hampered the match.  It was impossible to get into a rhythm.  Couple that with only 5 shooters on our squad, It was rough having to RO, Setup, Paste and score!  

I guess I just wasn't motivated to shoot.  I ended up placing 6th.  While 6th isn't a bad place, We only had 30 shooters total.  It's probably the smallest turnout of the year.  

Enough of the rambling!  Here's the unimpressive video of the match.

10/14/19

From the last couple of videos I've posted, one can see I've been having some issues lately with both of my PCC's.  Both have had loading issues.  Both are PSA lowers.  One is a Gen1 forged lower and the other is a Gen3 Billet lower.  Frustrated, I ordered a Foxtrot Mike lower tonight.  I'll update once I get it assembled and tested out.

• 2 weeks later...

Action Steel Match today.  Somehow I missed stages 6&7. I don't know how the Gopro got into picture mode, but I ended up with 39 photos.  I just did a quick edit.  I didn't even overlay the time or score for the stages.  I ended up coming in 13th out of 70 and 7th out of 19 in PCC.

I don't expect to do any better seeing that I don't practice.  I've noticed that my movement is slower and I'm slower getting on target.  Here's the video.  Action Steel match static round plates get two shots and static rectangle plates get three shots.  poppers and plates must fall to score.

• 8 months later...

It's been a while since I've been out shooting competition or any shooting for that matter.  I finally got the chance to test out the new hunting load.  I was shooting at 100 yards to confirm zero and get my CDS dial setup correctly.  

Here's my new hunting load specs

Remington 700 .308 win 

Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x50 scope

Hornaday Brass

Hornaday 150gr SST 2.735 OAL

CCI BR-2 Primers with 42gr of Hodgdon H4895

The load was spectacular!  Once I got the load zeroed, I was hitting 3" circles at 200 yards.  Here's the three shot group at 100 yards. For reference, Each square is 1/2 inch.

new huntig load.jpg

Edited by stick

• 2 years later...

I'm back! It's been a minute...or two since my last post to my dairy.  Thankfully, I'm getting over my right foot issue and I'm

ready to start training again.  With the purchase of the P10F Competition Ready gun, I'll be almost starting over learning how to shoot carry optics.  Now that the Holosun is mounted, I can start dry fire training again. 

First step is to review the Stoeger and Anderson books to develop a dryfire plan. 

Now that I can somewhat run and walk without pain, I'll also have to start agility training.  Getting old sucks!

6/9/23

Final gun assembly complete.  The gun weighs over 2lbs empty and a whopping 2lbs 12.3oz Loaded with dummy rounds.  

20230609_133335 (Medium).jpg

Edited by stick

6/10/23

Embrace the suck!

After dinner, and working 14+ hours yesterday and 10 hours today.  I donned the gear and started a modified dry fire session.

Still trying to get used to the optic.  I feel like I have to drop the barrel of the gun down when presenting the gun from the draw.

Drills performed today:

Sight Picture Confirmation

10 slow motion

10 no par time

10 .2 over par

10 .1 over par

10 @ par time

10 .1 under par time

All in all the draw is getting smother, but every now and then, I don't fully depress the safety release and miss the draw.

10 yard surrender

5 no par time

5 .2 over par

5 .1 over par

5 @ par time

5 .1 under par time

I went back to putting my index fingers on my glasses for the surrender position.  This gives me a consistent starting point each and every time.

Turn and Draw

5 no par time

5 .2 over par

5 .1 over par

5 @ par time

5 .1 under par time

I need to remember to snap my head first, then spin my body and draw.

Reloads

12 slow motion

12 no par

12 @ par time

12 .1 under par

I decided on twelve because if I carry three mags,  It lets me cycle through each mag 4 times.

Enter the box

10 enter and draw.

I started getting really tired and I was getting sloppy, so it was time to quit.

I remembered to put my weakside leg back and my strongside leg forward.  This keeps my gun and holster in a stationary and consistent position in which to draw from.

6/11/23

Another day of dry firing.  Not a totally long session, but I had some moments.  I'm still occasionally missing the draw.  My finger isn't always depressing the GLS button.

Here's the drills performed today

Drills performed today:

Sight Picture Confirmation

10 slow motion

10 no par time

10 .2 over par (1.50)

10 .1 over par (1.40)

10 @ par time (1.30)

10 .1 under par time (1.20)

10 yard surrender

5 no par time

5 .2 over par (1.70)

5 .1 over par (1.60)

5 @ par time (1.50)

5 .1 under par time (1.40)

I went back to putting my index fingers on my glasses for the surrender position.  This gives me a consistent starting point each and every time.

Reloads

12 slow motion

12 no par

12 @ par time (1.20)

12 .1 under par (1.10)

reloads were very slow today.  Not sure why!  Need to keep pushing

Enter the box

10 enter and draw. (1.60)

I need to also work variants of this drill. (Surrender, Facing Uprange etc)

Walk the triangle

Not a lot done with this drill today.  Harder than I remember  No par time just trying to get the feel of the drill.

Now to try and find a decently priced competition holster for the P10F comp ready in left handed.

6/12/23

I took out the new P10F OR gun to shoot for the first time today.  What a disaster!  I'm such an idiot.  I brought my 3.1gr 124gr RN rounds to shoot.  These rounds are for my PCC!  I knew they wouldn't cycle the gun correctly, but stupid me, I decided to give it a go anyway.  Every round stove piped in the gun, or wouldn't eject. I had to do so many racks on the slide, that I have a blister on my thumb.

Back to load testing...I loaded up 3 test loads to try.

1) 3.4gr Titegroup 

2) 3.6gr Titegroup

3) 3.8gr Titegroup

All are mixed brass with CCI500 primers set to approximately 1.10 OAL

My thoughts are the 3.6gr will probably be the ticket.  I'll end up running the chrono after determining the best load.  I also put the gun in a vise and ran a bore laser at 20 yards to set the Holosun dot.  This should get me close in sighting in.

Steel match Saturday will have to be with the PCC.  Afterwards, I'll do the load testing.

6/18/23

Practice session/Sight in verification.

Worked on ball and dummy drills from 10 yards.  Put 10 live rounds in my pocket along with 10 dummy rounds.  Randomly pulled out two rounds and loaded them into a magazine without looking.  (Bay I was on only had 2 plates on the plate rack :( ) I used the same profile bullet for both dummy and live ammo.

Confirmed zero on the Holosun at 25 yards.  I then worked on 25 yard ball and dummy drills on the plate rack again!

I figured out that I have to use the first joint on my finger for the correct trigger pull on the P10F.  Any other part of my finger causes the gun to jump left.

6/19/23

Live fire training at the range again today.  Worked on Ball and Dummy again. 13 yards on a plate rack.  I didn't miss a single plate that had a loaded round.  Once again, had 10 dummy rounds and 10 live rounds in my pocket.  Loaded each mag with 2-3 rounds randomly without looking.

Here's what I noticed today:

•  I'm noticing that my grip pressure affects the dot.  When I have the proper grip pressure, the dot doesn't move!  When I get a little soft in my grip, the dot wants to move left as I pull through the wall on the CZ. 
  • The trigger pulls looks good.  If anything, the dot will travel down slightly on soft grip shots.  The dot is not going down and right.
  • I'm really seeing the dot lift after the shot and I'm beginning to call my shots on the trigger pull.
  • My trigger prep was good after the shot too!  
  • I noticed that after the shot and the dot raised up, I was already looking at the next plate.

The bad:

CZ trigger wasn't always resetting.  Called CZ and started a warranty claim!  Hopefully, it's only gone for 2 weeks.