Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on hand stops

On 1/7/2018 at 9:12 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

Just installed one this weekend.   With age I'm losing some grip strength and hope it will assist me in pulling my PCC into my shoulder.

Tried it in a few matches and a lot of dry fire.  It helped pulling the gun into my shoulder but seemed to always be in the way so I pulled it off.  Can;t teach an old dog new tricks.

• 6 months later...

Now with my shorter barrel set up I can hook my index finger around the end of the handguard, but I am thinking a small hand stop will help me to remember to pull the stock into my shoulder.

I am so use to shooting my s&w 15-22 that I am having to retrain myself to hold on a little tighter.

Edited by Startingover
On 4/6/2018 at 6:59 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

Tried it in a few matches and a lot of dry fire.  It helped pulling the gun into my shoulder but seemed to always be in the way so I pulled it off.  Can;t teach an old dog new tricks.

Same for me.  I hold my handguard wherever it is appropriate for the target.  The hand stop doesn't help there.  I have no trouble pulling the PCC into my shoulder.

I use a Magpul M-Lok angled fore grip, gives me a little more meat to grab onto on low profile handgaurds (with thumb-over-bore), and overall just feels right...as well as assisting in pulling into shoulder.

I have an Aero 5.56 upper incoming that has a larger-diameter handguard, so I might try one of the smaller 'nubs' like what's been referenced earlier in this thread.  But generally I do like having that reference out there.

Edited by MoRivera

I took a BCM gunfighter VFG and cut it down on the chop saw. I like that it's angled (I run it rearward) and the smaller height means it acts as a handstop. I took it off because my hand placement after sprinting to a new position was never consistent enough with the speed I wanted. I then just ran some cheap grip tape up front covering a large area. Has worked well for me. 

I'm now trying a cain arms *thumb rest [generic]* (like $12 on ebay) mounted at 10:30 for a forward mount reference and the grip tape to help pull the gun into the pocket. Not sure I like it.