Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on hand stops

I am new to the whole PCC thing.  I was wondering what people thought of hand stops? 

On one hand, it seems like a good way to get a consistent grip on the carbine and potentially can give you more leverage in pulling it into your shoulder. 

On the other hand, I rarely see top shooters running them.

Thoughts on the matter?

I don’t normally agree with hanging stuff on the gun, but I just started using one for consistency of grip and shoulder pressure and like it.  When I switched to my second PCC that doesn’t have one, I immediately missed the feel of it.  I went with the Arisaka finger stop (due to its small size) and mounted it to the rear of my hand rather than the front as designed/marketed.  I haven’t used it for barricade support but suspect it would do well in that capacity as well.  

Edited by jkrispies
6 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

I don’t normally agree with hanging stuff on the gun, but I just started using one for consistency of grip and shoulder pressure and like it.  When I switched to my second PCC that doesn’t have one, I immediately missed the feel of it.  I went with the Arisaka finger stop (due to its small size) and mounted it to the rear of my hand rather than the front as designed/marketed.  I haven’t used it for barricade support but suspect it would do well in that capacity as well.  

Pretty much this. I just use a BCM one.

4 minutes ago, Climbhard said:

I put a BCM KAG grip on mine but my barrel / muzzle device is only 11 inches. I wanted a way to feel that my index finger wasn’t hanging over the front of the barrel?. It sure helps me pull the carbine in tight too. 

That is the one I was looking at.

Any downsides to these?  Obviously it might be a bit harder to shoot off the top of a barricade (although this rarely happens) and it does represent a potential snag hazard.  It might also get in the way of getting a good grip if you should miss.

Just overthinking things in my usual way.  ;-)

I use a hand stop on my mpx for several reasons...I’m relatively tall, 6’ 2” with long arms, the MPX carbine barrel is short, 14-1/2” plus the pinned and welded brake, which results in me getting my hand a little too far out once and getting the muzzle blast from the brake. That was enough to convince me that a hand stop was required. After running it that way for a season and a half, I now appreciate the consistency of grip the it helps achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, TeedOff said:

I use a hand stop on my mpx for several reasons...I’m relatively tall, 6’ 2” with long arms, the MPX carbine barrel is short, 14-1/2” plus the pinned and welded brake, which results in me getting my hand a little too far out once and getting the muzzle blast from the brake. That was enough to convince me that a hand stop was required. After running it that way for a season and a half, I now appreciate the consistency of grip the it helps achieve.

Which one do you use? On my JP I used the JP one and liked it. 

Matt

43 minutes ago, Nemesis Lead said:

Any downsides to these? ... It might also get in the way of getting a good grip if you should miss.

That’s why I went with the small Arisaka.  If I come in too short it slips between my fingers until I can adjust rather than mucking up the entire grip.  

Edited by jkrispies
Which one do you use? On my JP I used the JP one and liked it. 

Matt

Matt I’m using the kinaesthetic angles grip from Bravo Company. It’s pretty low profile but it’s just enough to make sure my grip is where it needs to be.

My 2 cents:  On my light 15/22 specifically and only for steel challenge I tend to like one.  It allows me to keep the lightweight gun pulled into my chest.  (Yes, I said chest and not shoulder).  I also find that it seems to stop better on some of the snap to positions such as the stop plate on 5 to go.  I have been back and forth on this idea, taking it off and putting it back on, but I mention it as a contrast to my PCC.

PCC I prefer nothing.  Now, I have only shot MY PCC, so obviously things can vary.  I shoot my PCC in steel challenge and USPSA.  My times are actually better with the heavier PCC on steel.  USPSA is where the real differences come as to not having a hand stop.  My experience has been in USPSA with a PCC you are constantly moving and changing.  I have learned to trust my support hand to find where it should be and it may change several times in a single course of fire.  In USPSA you really aren't going to be shooting from a perfect position, stance, or hold every time with a PCC anymore than you will be with a pistol.  Even simple things can be different, such as if you are shooting on the move during a course of fire with multiple targets to your left vs a stage with multiple targets to the right, your support hand may find a slightly different spot to keep your body facing a direction to efficiently move forward while shooting.  Once you start doing hard leans and compromising positions, I think the hand stop would be more in the way and possibly even a distraction if you force yourself to find it every time, even when that position may not be appropriate for that moment.  Also, I have been known to change the length of my stock depending on the course.  A good example is some of the classifiers that have you standing in a box with a wall directly in front of you requiring a reload and a change in sides to shoot from.  Compressing the stock fully really helps in this scenario, and the hand stop would be in the wrong spot now.  Practicing this exact scenario was pretty much the final straw for me when I gave the hand stop a try after hitting the back of it several times with my left hand as it tried to quickly return following a reload.  Just some of my personal experience leading to my personal opinions.  I would say at least practice enough to know for sure.  :)

Edited by Hammer002
  • 2 months later...
On 12/28/2017 at 12:01 AM, Hammer002 said:

My 2 cents:  On my light 15/22 specifically and only for steel challenge I tend to like one.  It allows me to keep the lightweight gun pulled into my chest.  (Yes, I said chest and not shoulder).  I also find that it seems to stop better on some of the snap to positions such as the stop plate on 5 to go.  I have been back and forth on this idea, taking it off and putting it back on, but I mention it as a contrast to my PCC.

PCC I prefer nothing.  Now, I have only shot MY PCC, so obviously things can vary.  I shoot my PCC in steel challenge and USPSA.  My times are actually better with the heavier PCC on steel.  USPSA is where the real differences come as to not having a hand stop.  My experience has been in USPSA with a PCC you are constantly moving and changing.  I have learned to trust my support hand to find where it should be and it may change several times in a single course of fire.  In USPSA you really aren't going to be shooting from a perfect position, stance, or hold every time with a PCC anymore than you will be with a pistol.  Even simple things can be different, such as if you are shooting on the move during a course of fire with multiple targets to your left vs a stage with multiple targets to the right, your support hand may find a slightly different spot to keep your body facing a direction to efficiently move forward while shooting.  Once you start doing hard leans and compromising positions, I think the hand stop would be more in the way and possibly even a distraction if you force yourself to find it every time, even when that position may not be appropriate for that moment.  Also, I have been known to change the length of my stock depending on the course.  A good example is some of the classifiers that have you standing in a box with a wall directly in front of you requiring a reload and a change in sides to shoot from.  Compressing the stock fully really helps in this scenario, and the hand stop would be in the wrong spot now.  Practicing this exact scenario was pretty much the final straw for me when I gave the hand stop a try after hitting the back of it several times with my left hand as it tried to quickly return following a reload.  Just some of my personal experience leading to my personal opinions.  I would say at least practice enough to know for sure.  :)

Good info

Thanks 

I opted for the Arisaka, too.  I have the finger stop setup behind my weak hand during a normal hold.  I'm experimenting with using an offset dot on hard weak-side leans, switching shoulders but not my hands.  I found that I can slide my weak hand back to catch the stop with my index finger, and it's just about perfect for that cross-shoulder position.

On 1/7/2018 at 9:21 PM, AngelDeVille said:

This one was already in my parts box... It actually works good.  

Glock finger groove base plate, and two 10-32 nuts and bolts.

image.jpg

I really like that- especially the out of the box thinking that got you there.

4 hours ago, JAFO said:

I opted for the Arisaka, too.  I have the finger stop setup behind my weak hand during a normal hold.  I'm experimenting with using an offset dot on hard weak-side leans, switching shoulders but not my hands.  I found that I can slide my weak hand back to catch the stop with my index finger, and it's just about perfect for that cross-shoulder position.

?