Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is non cannelure 55gr more Accurate?

parisite

Maybe. 

Ive shot a bunch of both through ARs. 55 and 62 grain bullets don't show any practical difference in accuracy between cannelured and not from a 20" WOA service rifle barrel. 

Hornady and Sierra bullets have been very consistent for me. Brass prep and loading techniques seem to matter much more than presence or absence of cannelure 

if you are going to crimp at magazine length, the cannelure is helpful.  

All things being equal, I think it makes no difference to accuracy. I believe a quality made bullet with good uniformity by a quality bullet maker will give you all the accuracy you could ask for regardless of a cannelure. A cheap poor quality bullet will give poor results with or without a cannelure.

• 3 months later...

Couldn''t tell the difference in accuracy with cannelure/non cannelure in both uppers- one is a WOA 18" barrel and the other is a budget $300 (scope included) 223 wylde bull barrel 20" upper. I would say go with the cheaper one

• 1 month later...

With the type of bulk/cheap bullets that are typically include a cannelure, I have not noticed any difference. While a different bullet weight, I have also shot the SMK 77gr with cannelure and did not notice any difference their either. The SMKs had a very light cannelure, however. 

I don't think their is a difference.  I would say the difference would lie in the brass and prep.  Differences in brass, sizing & powder charge will make more of a difference than a cannelure.

• 2 months later...

No there is no difference. I thought at one time there might and did a test. Both shot the same through my rifle. Now crimping, makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk