Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Security-9

I assume that, with an MSRP of $379, these guns will sell pretty well.

With that said I wonder why Ruger chose to launch a midsize pistol in a new format. Wouldn't they have been better off with a true midsize version of the American? I thought the American was supposed to be their new duty/LE/military gun. I guess it isn't selling well so they're trying something different?

Ruger does some handguns very well (1911’s and revolvers) but they seem to be kind of struggling to find a place in the polymer framed pistol market.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

I got one of these for a CCW pistol and so far I'm quite pleased. Same size and capacity as a Glock 19 for $200 less.

It eats hollow points like a champ and seems really reliable after a break in. 

I have over 1300 through mine so far and had 2 FTE's in the first 300 then flawless after that. 

The grip is a little slick so some stippling or talon grips may be in order for the front and back strap, but other than that, it's a fine little blaster. 

It doesn't have match grade accuracy, and why would it for $300 bones,  but at 7-10 yards (typical distance for self defense) I can pluck out the center 5" of a target no problem. 

I'm comfortable carrying it. 

• 3 months later...
I got one of these for a CCW pistol and so far I'm quite pleased. Same size and capacity as a Glock 19 for $200 less.
It eats hollow points like a champ and seems really reliable after a break in. 
I have over 1300 through mine so far and had 2 FTE's in the first 300 then flawless after that. 
The grip is a little slick so some stippling or talon grips may be in order for the front and back strap, but other than that, it's a fine little blaster. 
It doesn't have match grade accuracy, and why would it for $300 bones,  but at 7-10 yards (typical distance for self defense) I can pluck out the center 5" of a target no problem. 
I'm comfortable carrying it. 
I messed with one for awhile but then got rid of it.

It was reliable but my sample shot about 4" high at 15 yards. Also, the lack of a beavertail and the fact that the slide is rather sharp meant I kept getting cut by the slide.

The POA/POI issue was probably an easy fix and one Ruger would likely have done under warranty. The slide bite issue was another matter.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Since Tokarev's groups are a bit left, it's easily remedied by drifting the read sight a little to the right. Then they'll all be in the black. Mine has been a totally dependable shooter.

Chuck

• 3 months later...

I recently won a compact version of these at a match. I haven’t taken delivery yet and I’m not sure what to do. I already have a G19. Not sure where this one fits in my stable. LGS offered $260 on trade in. 
Not that I’m complaining, any free gun is a good one!