Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major primers??

TANFARM

On 12/27/2017 at 5:43 PM, Broncman said:

I use a Frankford Arsenal handheld vibratory tube filler. Winchester's stick and do not feed as well as the CCIs I have. I to believe they are not as uniform.

Same.

All Winchester small primers (pistol & rifle) suck the most going through vibratory fillers. Especially the handheld vibra prime.

Federals have occasional hangups - but much more rarely than Wins.

The CCIs I’ve used (500 and 550) and Sellier & Bellot SPP all go through it flawlessly. Like butter.

I stick to those primers now.

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Same.

All Winchester small primers (pistol & rifle) suck the most going through vibratory fillers. Especially the handheld vibra prime.

Federals have occasional hangups - but much more rarely than Wins.

The CCIs I’ve used (500 and 550) and Sellier & Bellot SPP all go through it flawlessly. Like butter.

I stick to those primers now.

Ok so you tried a lot of primers are the CCI and S&B SPP softer then the Winchester SRP. I just don't want to be worried about light strikes with a harder primer. 

I don’t know. I only used Win Small Pistol. The knowledge that Win SRPs don’t run through a vibraprime came from a good friend who had similarly bad luck.

What gun are you running them through and what have you done to your hammer/striker spring?

CCI Magnum pistol primers are a favorite of mine. As are standard S&B small pistol when on sale cheap at Cabelas.

Both tend to be easy to find when Win and Federal Small Pistol are out of stock. And both run flawlessly through an RF100 or vibraprime.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Shadyscott999 said:

CCI will work great.  In my testing, there was zero quantifiable difference in velocity when using SPP, SRP or SPMP.  Literally none.  All inside the margin of error.  

Good to know, I have a ton more SRP and have used them for other calibers.  I need to test my 9mm Major loads again this month to verify some data and will run a batch of both just to confirm the data regarding running either SPP or SRP

I've used about 30k WSR primers and 10k CCI SP primers so far in 9 major.

Both seem to work well.  Both feed about the same for me in the Dillon RF100.  

CCI SP seem slightly harder in terms of seating.  WSR are easier to "crush" seat to the point of where the primer edge radius is removed.  It's very difficult for me to get that same type of seating using CCI SP.  WSR are easier to seat deeper.  

In terms of "softness" as it relates to where the firing pin strikes it....IDK.  They all go bang with a 23# hammer spring for me.

Holy crap!  

I’ve run at least 45k S&B small rifle primers without any issue. I’ve also loaded probably 40k with WSR and now I’m trying to burn up a bunch of CCI both SP and SR.

Having loaded and shot quite a few of all without issue, my preference/priority is now based on 1) cost, 2) vibra prime ease of use.

I’d buy SB from here on out just due to regularly being 30% cheaper than CCI or WSR.

My experience is Wins are more difficult to use with vibra prime and they are squishy when loading.

I’ve avoided loading my CCI stock until recently but have had no issues so I’ll shoot the rest of hodge podge of primers I have left.

Mainsprings are 23lb and 25lb, so it may not be as reliable in other configurations.

3be9a918f8e1f78c96ad88d07e3e5c13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, drewbeck said:

I’ve run at least 45k S&B small rifle primers without any issue. I’ve also loaded probably 40k with WSR and now I’m trying to burn up a bunch of CCI both SP and SR.
Having loaded and shot quite a few of all without issue, my preference/priority is now based on 1) cost, 2) vibra prime ease of use.
I’d buy SB from here on out just due to regularly being 30% cheaper than CCI or WSR.
My experience is Wins are more difficult to use with vibra prime and they are squishy when loading.
I’ve avoided loading my CCI stock until recently but have had no issues so I’ll shoot the rest of hodge podge of primers I have left.
Mainsprings are 23lb and 25lb, so it may not be as reliable in other configurations.
3be9a918f8e1f78c96ad88d07e3e5c13.jpg

I am feeling better about how many primers I have, do not have enough Magnum primers.  Has anyone had any problems with using Win296 without magnum primers, will I just have more unburnt powder in my .357 and .44 magnum rounds?

I bet you can set ANYTHING off with a 25# mainspring.  Probably stuff a cheeto in there and get it to ignite.  

They gotta be the crunchy flaming hot ones, otherwise I’ve noticed some reliability issues and significant orange goo buildup in my comp which has proven to be a nightmare to clean. The only solution I’ve found was to run a couple bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers through it and it’s all good

15 hours ago, drewbeck said:

They gotta be the crunchy flaming hot ones, otherwise I’ve noticed some reliability issues and significant orange goo buildup in my comp which has proven to be a nightmare to clean. The only solution I’ve found was to run a couple bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers through it and it’s all good

Excellent problem solving.  Probably smells pretty tasty too.  

I just did some testing with

Cci  500

Federal small pistol magnum

I'm going with fspm for my major matches now. Zero pressure signs, smaller es and sd. Cleaner burn judging from the case and I was able to drop it from 7.1 to 7.0 for 170pf. Not huge difference but I primarily like the lower sd

More importantly, the fspm is softer than cci500s, the same cup as the small rifle but more sensitive powder and softer anvil than srp. It's a win win. I purposely didn't fully seat a few and they all went bang. Can't do that with cci

Edited by tcazes