Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a 2011

dirty5thirty

I am about to start the process of buying all the parts to build my first 2011 with the help of a gunsmith buddy to build. I need Ideas on where to find the best deals and what parts are worth spending the money on and what aren't. I'm basing it off an Sti lower and blank upper unless i can find one premilled that looks cool.

Thanks in advance for the help

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

Start with any parts other than an STI frame&slide

+1

You can add JEM Guns to the list for slides and frames.  They are the OEM for the guns many custom smiths make.  You can order the frame and slide with a machine fit.  That will let you tap on the slide, but it won't function until you lap or burnish it in.  I have a JEM frame and slide on the way in.

For the rest of the stuff, don't mix and match.  When you choose a grip, get that manufacturer's mag release, GS and MSH.  If an STI plastic grip, use their mag release, And the EGW JEM GS and MSH (or order with the JEM frame and slide). Choose your grip BEFORE you order the frame and slide.  If you don't, you may end up taking a lot of material off, or suffering a loose fit.  For example, if you order a 2011 frame from JEM you have to specify it is for a metal or plastic grip.  The frames are specifically machined for each grip.   If you don't order from JEM, make sure the components you choose match.  If you decide you like the CK Arms grip, buy a CK Arms frame and slide and make sure to use the CK mag release.  You will save yourself a lot of grief.

For fire control parts I prefer EGW, they just plain work and you have to do little or nothing to them.  I happen to like the EGW ambi-thumb safety, but you'll have to look elsewhere if you want shielded.

For barrels, you have to decide whether you want a coned or bull barrel.  I have both, and the regular barrel with cone and comp is definitely lighter and quicker.

Lastly, make sure all the small parts you consider are machined from billet or bar stock and hardened properly.  No MIM parts.

Schuemann Hybrid barrel(if you can find one) for a sighttracker set up. Both mine are on Caspian slides and CK frames.  EGW parts.  I like the Doug Koenig hammer and the Double Tap Ambi Safety. I am running Extreme Shooters plastic Grips also and MBX mags.  Good luck with your build. 

CK frame and slides. Great people to do business with! EGW internals and fire control.

I use Brazos, Shooters Connection, Speed Shooters intl, Freedom armory and the CK bunch.

If I ever try anything other than CK, it will be JEM. KKM or Trubor Barrels. Like the idea of Trubor comp being part of the barrel, nothing to loosen up.

B, I got tired of Loctiting comps on so I went with Trubore blanks for these next two builds.  Aircooler6racer cut his custom comp into the blank.  An advantage of his comp cuts is the ports are towards the front, so there is a good deal of space between the back of the first port and the end of the comp.  Since the comp is rifled through, that space lets you put two 3/16" poppels in a V2 config in the comp instead of linear in the barrel.  You also don't have to cut a slot in the slide for the poppels. 

7 hours ago, zzt said:

+1

You can add JEM Guns to the list for slides and frames.  They are the OEM for the guns many custom smiths make.  You can order the frame and slide with a machine fit.  That will let you tap on the slide, but it won't function until you lap or burnish it in.  I have a JEM frame and slide on the way in.

For the rest of the stuff, don't mix and match.  When you choose a grip, get that manufacturer's mag release, GS and MSH.  If an STI plastic grip, use their mag release, And the EGW JEM GS and MSH (or order with the JEM frame and slide). Choose your grip BEFORE you order the frame and slide.  If you don't, you may end up taking a lot of material off, or suffering a loose fit.  For example, if you order a 2011 frame from JEM you have to specify it is for a metal or plastic grip.  The frames are specifically machined for each grip.   If you don't order from JEM, make sure the components you choose match.  If you decide you like the CK Arms grip, buy a CK Arms frame and slide and make sure to use the CK mag release.  You will save yourself a lot of grief.

For fire control parts I prefer EGW, they just plain work and you have to do little or nothing to them.  I happen to like the EGW ambi-thumb safety, but you'll have to look elsewhere if you want shielded.

For barrels, you have to decide whether you want a coned or bull barrel.  I have both, and the regular barrel with cone and comp is definitely lighter and quicker.

Lastly, make sure all the small parts you consider are machined from billet or bar stock and hardened properly.  No MIM parts.

ok thank you i will check out jem

• 1 month later...

My vote goes for EGW fire control parts, small parts and safeties.  Bar Sto for barrels; the one I have in my back up Limited gun has made it the most accurate gun I've had so far.   For slides, the Brazos lightened Limited slide is a good value.  For $400 you get a lightened and flat topped slide, with sight cuts.  After using a steel grip for two years I went back to plastic for my main match gun.  The grip made the gun shoot soft, but felt like a boat anchor so I used a textured Brazos plastic grip with this latest build.  Using this combo of parts in my back up 5" gun I've gotten a quick handling and accurate little blaster.