Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How short OAL for CZ shadow?

Bwidpa

Just got my first CZ (shadow custom from CZC).  I'm used to loading my 147s to 1.14 OAL for an M&P Pro. Went to reload for the CZ and it wouldn't pass the plunk test with anything longer than 1.09 using BBI 147s.  Xtreme and Everglades ammo 147 both pass the plunk test with my normal load at 1.14.  I have a case of BBI sitting around and would like to use them, and I've tended to get better accuracy with coated vs plated out of my other guns.  Just wanted to see if anyone else is going that short in their shadows? And if so how much are backing off the powder(if any)? I'm using titegroup in these loads. Not looking to ream the barrel just yet. Thanks in advance

If you're using the current 147 bbi iteration, the bullet ogive is noticeably fatter at the base and does not taper as aggressively as the old lube grooved version. To load longer with bbis, you'll need to ream the chamber with a finishing reamer or use a fp bullet with a sharper ogive or RN.

I load to 1.09 for my Shadow with a FMJ 147gr bullet. Don't worry about the short length, use the OAL that works for the bullet/barrel combination. You might be able to drop the load a little but I would chrono first to see what you get before modifying the charge. Prior to getting my Shadow I loaded the same FMJ 147gr bullet to 1.135 with 3.6gr of Titegroup. When I shortened the OAL to work in my Shadow I really didn't see a difference at the chrono, maybe 10 fps, which is negligible.

Edited by 4n2t0

It is about the bullet. Shooting SNS 147 tc my CZ's like 1.15. 

3.2 titegroup at 1.15 gives me about the same velocity as 3.0 at 1.12. Not sure what would happen if I went to 1.05, would not expect the powder to velocity relationship to necessarily be linear. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I've tried several different bullets with my CZ. With MG 115 JHP, I had to load at 1.085, with MG 147 FMJ I had to load the same. With some home cast 147's, I could load out to 1.150, and with PD 147 FMJ's, I could load out to 1.150. It all depends on the bullet ogive. My current load is 3.5 N320 with a PD 147 FMJ @ 1.150, gives me. 134 PF.

On 12/20/2017 at 4:54 PM, Bwidpa said:

Just got my first CZ (shadow custom from CZC).  I'm used to loading my 147s to 1.14 OAL for an M&P Pro. Went to reload for the CZ and it wouldn't pass the plunk test with anything longer than 1.09 using BBI 147s.  Xtreme and Everglades ammo 147 both pass the plunk test with my normal load at 1.14.  I have a case of BBI sitting around and would like to use them, and I've tended to get better accuracy with coated vs plated out of my other guns.  Just wanted to see if anyone else is going that short in their shadows? And if so how much are backing off the powder(if any)? I'm using titegroup in these loads. Not looking to ream the barrel just yet. Thanks in advance

Ream the barrel. I cut my Walthers (which have equally short chambers) to take fat-nosed pills out to 1.160”

Life is good now. With a long 147gr bullet shoved that deeply into the case, I was getting a fair number of case gauge failures because the sides of some older brass would bulge while loading.

Send it over to a shop like Patriot Defense or Grams Engineering... or talk to a few of us forum members who can cut it for you.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Maybe someone already posted it, but why don’t you change bullets?

My son shoots CZ Shadow 2 and Sp01 and I shoot Tanfoglio S2. Both of these require a very short OAL with both Eggleston RN and BB RN bullets, 1.08. We switched to ACME 147 FN, my son’s favorite, and I use PD 147 FMJ RN. Both of these bullets easily load at 1.14 in all our guns without reaming. 

BTW switching bullets and loading longer solved the bulging problem with CBC brass because of the depth the bullets were seated to.

Also this is getting to be an old thread. 

Edited by HesedTech

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/25/2017 at 9:42 AM, muncie21 said:

In my experience CZs need to be loaded a bit shorter than most. I run BBI/Bayou 135s (9mm) at 1.08-1.09.

While dropping the OAL may not be a big deal, I'd still chrono and test the new rounds just to be sure.

I load Bayou 135's at 1.130 in all my CZ's, I have to load the 105's at 1.030, and my 124 PD JHP at 1.080

• 1 year later...
On 3/7/2019 at 1:29 AM, Darrell said:

I load Bayou 135's at 1.130 in all my CZ's, I have to load the 105's at 1.030, and my 124 PD JHP at 1.080

I am getting ready to load my first 9mm rounds on my new press for my Shadow 2.  I did Wobbly's push test and I am coming up with 1.092-1.097 so I am going to go with 1.080 OAL to be safe.  I am using a 147g coated truncated nose bullet from BBI.  Is there a way to calculate powder load for a shorter than listed OAL?  I am using Titegroup powder which according to Hogdgons load data 147g bullet at 1.010 is 3.2 grains for the low side.  Should I start there or lower at 3.0? 

16 hours ago, ML123 said:

I am getting ready to load my first 9mm rounds on my new press for my Shadow 2.  I did Wobbly's push test and I am coming up with 1.092-1.097 so I am going to go with 1.080 OAL to be safe.  I am using a 147g coated truncated nose bullet from BBI.  Is there a way to calculate powder load for a shorter than listed OAL?  I am using Titegroup powder which according to Hogdgons load data 147g bullet at 1.010 is 3.2 grains for the low side.  Should I start there or lower at 3.0? 

1) The OAL's listed in manuals/data is completely useless so it doesn't matter that yours is "shorter than listed".

2) You aren't loading an FMJ so the charging window Hodgdon provides isn't very helpful. Generally, it takes less powder to move lead (coated).

3) Other forum members who have already tested a 147gr coated bullet with Titegroup should be able to provide you with charge weights. Maybe like the information provided below? lol.

Edited by 4n2t0

11 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

Thanks, I did NOT measure factory rounds in my barrel.  My measurements are using the Bullet I plan to load using Wobbly's push method in the chamber of the gun I plan to use.  I have a 1.080 OAL according to the method Wobbly described and I am asking if someone can tell me how to figure out were to start with Titegroup since 1.080 is LESS than the 1.010 that is cited in all the load data I have found on Titegroup.

Apparently there is a formula out there that requires 6th grade algebra but I can't seem to find it anywhere?