Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 617, Pre Lock or New ?

shoots100

Hey All,

For 2018, I'm going all wheel gun. 929jm in ISR and another revolver to shoot rimfire.

Shooting was fun, but I had to go crazy and try production class with a bottom feeder.

It became less fun in Trying to shoot two different types of pistolas with any proficiency and since I'm a wheel gunner at heart, the bottom feeder is out.

I'm selling one of my Souped up CZ P-09's and getting some variation of a S&W 6" barreled model .22lr.

I can make it a "mini me" version of my 929jm.

The only question I have, is would it be better to try and get a pre lock, or roll the dice with a newer version ?

I've seen some really cherry pre lock versions for sale, but they're expensive. Are they worth the Extra $$$ ?

I've also read and seen the screwed up looking and functioning new versions of a 617 that  S&W has been sending out too.

As with the 929JM, it seems their QC with the 617 isn't quite 100% either now.

SJC

I'm not a collector, just purely for sport and competition. I'll always pick a newer mim gun given the choice. They'll be cheaper, more consistent fit up with parts, aftermarket hammer availability, etc. 

They all need to be touched up anyway to be suitable for competition, so what's the difference.

I’ve had my 617 since new in 1995. It’s my favourite handgun. I shoot it the most. Most range cessions start with about 100 rounds of 22lr then I transition to another more powerful handgun. The 617 gives me a great warm up to muscle memory, eye hand coordination and trigger control without the distractions of recoil.
Taught my kids to shoot with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lock is a no issue when it comes to the Smith & Wesson revolvers.   In 10s of thousands of rounds I have never had a problem with my lock.  My 617 is a pre-lock version but I have had a number of .38s with the lock and they have  never failed me.

617 W C-More for posting.jpg

MWP, thanks for the link.

I found a project 617-2 in a local shop for a great price, but It'll need a cylinder replacement, as the Aluminum cylinder is totally shot.

I really don't want to mess around with trying to fit a new stainless cylinder and/or sending it back to S&W for them to fit a new cylinder.

If it was free and I had the time to mess with it, I would buy it, but I just want to buy the pistol, Ammo, speed loaders and shoot.

1 hour ago, shoots100 said:

MWP, thanks for the link.

I found a project 617-2 in a local shop for a great price, but It'll need a cylinder replacement, as the Aluminum cylinder is totally shot.

I really don't want to mess around with trying to fit a new stainless cylinder and/or sending it back to S&W for them to fit a new cylinder.

If it was free and I had the time to mess with it, I would buy it, but I just want to buy the pistol, Ammo, speed loaders and shoot.

I don't think you'll be unhappy with a new gun. Swap the sights, grips, smooth out the trigger, and just shoot it. Extremely easy gun to get up and running.

Ok, now that I have my 617 on the way, Ammo is my next priority.

I have plenty of plinking ammo to make a good decision of what I'll need to acquire vast amounts of ammo to feed it in that respect, but what's the consensus of what type of match ammo should I be on the lookout for ?

I'm not looking for match Ammo in the Eley price range, but match Ammo that's better than the Average .22lr, that's available on the market now.

Thanks,

SJC

I can't help with an opinion on the 617, but I have something to say about rimfire ammo. 

Both Federal 550 and 525 bulk packs have been terrible disappointments for me lately.  Failures to fire and/or keyholes happen at least once every mag full with the last lots I purchased.  Federal Auto Match have also disappointed me with way too many failures to fire.  I have pulled many bullets from FTF's, and I have consistently found a crack (and void) in the priming mixture directly where the FP hit the case head.  I can't say for certain it was cracked BEFORE the FP hit, but that is my suspicion.  

I have given up on any Federal 22's that aren't Gold Medal, and GM's are too expensive for "normal" use for me.  Most of my use is for steel matches from auto-loading pistols or rifles, and high speed ammo usually works best for me for that purpose.  

CCI Mini Mags have been the most consistent and accurate in my guns since I stopped shooting Federals.  Using them, I have not experienced even one FTF or keyhole, and I have found them (on sale) at pretty decent prices.    

Anyone interested in buying a few thousand Federals?  :rolleyes: