Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.0 vs 5.5 vs 6.0

Eric1231

I am considering getting/ building 2011, this will be my first 2011 and I am torn on what to go with. My current gun is Xdm 5.25 and it has longer sight radius than 5.0 gun. Therefore I am leaning towards a 5.5 or 6.0. Can somebody give me some feedback on these options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the weight/balance of the xdm? And how do you like that? All steel 2011 will feel different depending on how you spec it out.

If I shot bullseye, I'd probably think about a 6" but for action sports, I like both my 5 and 5.4. The 5.4 is my primary but going back and forth hasn't been any problem. They both shoot better than I can. :-)

For me the weight balance is more of a factor than slide length. I seem to favor the balance I feel in a short dust cover frame. I do not have problems with sight radius on any of the three lengths. 

And I like the long with the butler cut and sight tracker.

So hopefully the OP has enough friends to try a variety and figure out what works best for him.

And I like the long with the butler cut and sight tracker.

So hopefully the OP has enough friends to try a variety and figure out what works best for him.

That is what I was thinking about going with. Although the weight difference is going to be a big change if I go with a steel grip. However I think the balance would be be better with a steel grip

Before you charge off in a 2011 build direction based on interwebz commentary I would suggest you test drive all of the 2011 configs you are looking at getting. Test drive as many blasters as possible so you KNOW what configuration works best for you.

1 hour ago, Eric1231 said:

That is what I was thinking about going with. Although the weight difference is going to be a big change if I go with a steel grip. However I think the balance would be be better with a steel grip

51 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Before you charge off in a 2011 build direction based on interwebz commentary I would suggest you test drive all of the 2011 configs you are looking at getting. Test drive as many blasters as possible so you KNOW what configuration works best for you.

I've owned them all

Best advice is quoted above. Beg ,Barrow etc guns you can shoot. buy primers,powder etc to show your appreciation of letting people shoot their guns.

If that isn't happening.  Probably best to start with a 5" gun.  Full dust cover or classic which ever you like the looks of.

A friend just made GM with a classic frame and some slight slide lighting.  What he did was shoot the gun ALOT and he did fine with

his gained skills.  Pretty sure he would have made it with whatever gun he had.

55 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

This is what you should do.  Get an Edge and start shooting.  Try out as many guns as you can and decide wht you HAVE to have in a limited gun.  That way you have a backup and start shooting now.  

Longer guns are going to have slightly less recoil and a longer (more accurate) sight radius. 

Shorter guns will have a faster cycle times and quicker transitions in between targets.  And usually weigh less. 

A lot of open shooters have gone to shorter guns for the reasons listed above. 

Like its been said, try out different models and see what you like better. 

What jcc7x7 said....

"A friend just made GM with a classic frame and some slight slide lighting.  What he did was shoot the gun ALOT and he did fine with

his gained skills.  Pretty sure he would have made it with whatever gun he had".

we all have different goals and ideas of what to expect from ourselves...think about what it is your looking for from this sport???     

in other words...if  finishing well against better shooters is your aim, then "burning ammo" with whatever you have will do the trick!!!!

find a routine for practice and buy supplies and really learn to shoot.    In the end I think you will find what you do need and what you don't in a gun.

JMO

Longer sight radius can allow you more accurate shot placement, but I’ve found it can also be significantly slower if you don’t (yet) know how to control the gun in recoil. But it really depends more on the sights in my experience (notch width vs post width). 

For close in club match bay stage stuff w/ my own guns I know well & have tuned for my tiny hands, I find I’m equally accurate & slightly quicker w/ a shorter sight radius (4” vs 5.5” 1911 slide); also, when shooting a new pistol or someone else’s gun I’m not familiar with, I find I’m generally quicker & score better w/ a shorter sight radius (assuming the sights themselves are fairly similar in ‘perceived’ dimensions).

The difference, for me, comes w/ longer range stages stretching out 20+ yards; where there is a definite accuracy shift in favor of a longer sight radius, but more importantly the sight itself regarding notch & post widths; however, I do find in longer range stages w/ a new gun, or a big gun my tiny hands can’t control well, I’m significantly slower w/ a longer sight radius as the gun bobs around where I have to find the sights, especially if the sight dimensions are tight & setup more for target / bullseye like I prefer.

TLDR: Long slide / sight radius does make a difference regarding both inherent accuracy & quickness; where a longer sight radius can aid in practical accuracy capability, but can be potentially detrimental to speed; however, the potential speed detriment can be trained out to a non-issue, & the sight’s dimensions have more of a tangible impact towards one’s practical accuracy capability. Thus, a longer sight radius does provide benefit in action pistol sports, but primarily if your basic pistol skills are already up to par; if not, then you might actually be hurting your split times having to hunt a bit more for the sights after each shot. 

Edited by SPL15