Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire Apps / Timers

Stepan

Hi Everyone,

I'm Stepan from Salt Lake, UT (Richmond, CA previously) - Limited B, USPSA RO, shooting mainly from appendix holster, cheers if we shot together before!

I've been thinking about building Dry Fire Timer for iOS for a while, and making other stuff (IT related) that could help people progress.

Most useful thing that so far came out of it was dryfire.ninja - this is simple static JS website, that allows you to build a dryfire stage on your PC/Mac/iPhone/Android/whatever and practice.

It's basically a few files sitting on S3 and there are no plans to monetize it, so:

1) I hope this is OK to post here and it doesn't count as advertisement

2) If anyone wants to download the site modify it and send me a github link - I would be super happy to add your changes ;)

After shooting Dixie Cup (super fun technical match BTW, huge props to organizers!) I feel like I might be able to add swinger and Max Trap to it.

What else would you like to see in interactive dry fire stage? Timer? Ghost Runs? Library of USPSA classifiers?

What current apps/timers/tricks you use for dry fire / practice, that programmer can help with / improve / scale for more people?

Thanks!

Stepan

Edited by Stepan

• 2 weeks later...

Not a timer, but you might look into the MantisX attachment and app. It was eye opening and has helped me visually/graphically identify different poor habits I've formed over the year.

I use iDryFire on the PC to record time and shots from a SIRT laser pistol. Less useful than the MantisX but still helpful. 

• 1 month later...

Looks like I cant edit OP here, few small updates on the dryfire.ninja:

1) Swingers (pause/play/FF buttons on the left

2) Random appearing mode - http://dryfire.ninja/#ninja

On 26/12/2017 at 7:54 PM, lacivilian said:

There are currently zero good iOS dry fire timers that I have been able to find, all of them lack something. I'm hoping someone can come up with something soon. 

What is minimal set of features you need in iOS dry fire timer?

I've stopped using a time in dry fire for a moment and it doesn't appear to ruin it much, so dryfire timer wouldn't be a priority, but I will make it sooner or later.

1 hour ago, Stepan said:

Looks like I cant edit OP here, few small updates on the dryfire.ninja:

1) Swingers (pause/play/FF buttons on the left

2) Random appearing mode - http://dryfire.ninja/#ninja

What is minimal set of features you need in iOS dry fire timer?

I've stopped using a time in dry fire for a moment and it doesn't appear to ruin it much, so dryfire timer wouldn't be a priority, but I will make it sooner or later.

Start beep or random delay. Be able to set a par timer. Intuitive and easy to use. Ability to set multiple par times, such as 3-4 beeps etc. 

Honestly, the one I still use the most is the old RUReady on a laptop. It says “are you ready”, “stand by”, then gives you a random start beep within a chosen range, any par you want, stop beep, and then repeats(endlessly) the whole thing after a reset time of your choosing.   Even just getting that on my phone would be great.  I suppose if I could choose the number of reps I would like it a little more. 

I've been using "Dry Fire Timer" on my iPhone on a daily basis for years.  It kicks butt.  I can't remember what I paid for it, but it may have been free.  I also use "Day One" as my practice journal.

Edited by jkrispies

1 hour ago, jkrispies said:

I've been using "Dry Fire Timer" on my iPhone on a daily basis for years.  It kicks butt.  I can't remember what I paid for it, but it may have been free.  I also use "Day One" as my practice journal.

Just downloaded it and tried it. Thx for heads up! 

One question...that timer run a little fast or something? I’m at least a tenth slower vs the other app I was using. 

Doesnt really matter...I like the abily to run multi shot stings. 

38 minutes ago, Covfefe said:

One question...that timer run a little fast or something? I’m at least a tenth slower vs the other app I was using. 

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh........ it’s the timer!  (Seriously though, it doesn’t matter. You’re just using it for tracking purposes to log growth, so if that’s your consistent time keeping device, if it’s fast, slow, or accurate becomes irrelevant. Just pick a consistent device.)

I tossed together a quick free app that will run on anything Windows10 (phone/tablet/PC/etc).  Pretty simple just ability to set delay before beep, multiple different par times, a counter of runs, etc.  The only kind of advanced part is it uses voice synthesizer and speech recognition (backup buttons in case of issues).  So it will as "Are you ready", wait for you to say "ready", then say "standby" and wait random or set delay before beep, then pars.  Then repeat until you want to quit. 

Works well with cordless Bluetooth headsets/earbuds so wife doesn't have to hear all the beeps/noise/etc to keep me out of trouble :)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/dry-fire-timer/9n0979m8n7ph

Edited by ccarpediem

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2018 at 8:17 PM, ccarpediem said:

I tossed together a quick free app that will run on anything Windows10 (phone/tablet/PC/etc).  Pretty simple just ability to set delay before beep, multiple different par times, a counter of runs, etc.  The only kind of advanced part is it uses voice synthesizer and speech recognition (backup buttons in case of issues).  So it will as "Are you ready", wait for you to say "ready", then say "standby" and wait random or set delay before beep, then pars.  Then repeat until you want to quit. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/dry-fire-timer/9n0979m8n7ph

Neat program.

Downloaded this dry fire timer and I like its simplicity.  Only problem is I can't get it to recognize my voice when I say "ready".  Verified that the microphone is on and working.  I can get it to work with the button, just not with the voice command. 

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Update:  I figured it out.  Turns out the microphone on my laptop is very sensitive and was picking up background noise.  Turned off all other noise (ceiling fan and some relaxing background music) and it works like a champ.  The par times appear to be a little fast but that just makes it more fun.  :D

Edited by Flatland Shooter

• 9 months later...

What else would you like to see in interactive dry fire stage? Timer? Ghost Runs? Library of USPSA classifiers?

Enjoyed the dry fire ninja, works on ipad browser fine.  Liked the inclusion of USPSA classifiers in the the times, would be a great resource to have the pictures of the targets for the classifier stages set up to scale.  Could have the +/- adjust the whole stage size up and down to suit the user.  I plan to run this off a projector to large screen.  Love the mover!  Could use the FF button to increase speed.   Thanks for your contributions to our sport!

• 2 weeks later...

Not just a dry fire time but useful for that too since it allows various shooter commands, fixed or random delays, par times, etc.  But, it also functions as a full fledged shot timer.  I've been using Range Tech for about a year now and love it.  Works with a smart phone and only costs $30.