Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Shotgun Ammo

TFT_Guns_Up

Hey Ya’ll,

I’m currently using a Benelli M2 3 Gun Edition for 3 Gun. All this year I’ve been running Winchester 12 Gauge 7&1/2 Shot Heavy Game Load. The round is 3.25 Dram and 1255FPS. No problems with the spinners lol.

That said I’d like to find a lower velocity round as clays and most steel don’t need that kind of Oomph to do the job. Also I’d like to speed up my follow up shots. 

What are my options?

Winchester Universal (Wally world bulk packs) is absolute garbage. I have seen more problems with that ammo at matches than any other type. Federal bulk packs are a little better, and I wouldn’t hesitate to use them in practice. For match ammo I have been using Remington Gun Club for years. It is the best bargain ammo I have personally used, it has a good stiff hull and has ran very well in my Benellis. I primarily use 2 3/4 dram 7.5 shot (1145 FPS) and it’s pretty soft shooting.

I used to run the Walmart Federal bulk pack stuff, but I've experienced too many issues with them to rely on them.

I ran Remington American Clay & Field 1200fps 1 1/8oz 7.5's all this past season and it's been 100% reliable.  It's a little pricier, but the reliability is worth it.

I've also run Winchester AA 1145fps Light Target loads and they're also 100% reliable in my M2.

12 hours ago, MedicAJ said:

I used to run the Walmart Federal bulk pack stuff, but I've experienced too many issues with them to rely on them.

I ran Remington American Clay & Field 1200fps 1 1/8oz 7.5's all this past season and it's been 100% reliable.  It's a little pricier, but the reliability is worth it.

I've also run Winchester AA 1145fps Light Target loads and they're also 100% reliable in my M2.

I used to use and recommend the Walmart Federal 100 packs too... but the quality has declined in the past couple of years. Now I stick with Winchester AA (1200 fps Heavy Target) and don't worry about having any ammo related issues in my M2, SBE or 1301.

Use good quality shotgun ammo and most of your shotgun cycling problems will go away. The extra few dollars it might cost you to shoot a match will be more than made up by better scores and less aggravation.

i have been shooting 3-gun since about 94/95. mostly outlaw in n. carolina but a lot elsewhere. 3 rock castle's till my legs need new knee's.

soooooooooooooooo

2 loads only u don't need anything else

3-dr-1oz  of 6's for long steel. use a tight choke

.3dr--1/1/8oz   9's for clay

2 custom chokes add to the fun

1. a choke custom ground to shoot  TALL/NARROW patterns like rock castle steel at 50 yds and hostage scenerio

2. a spreader choke for all clay's  u might get 2 for 1

i.c,  lm,   lt. f

PATTERN THE CHOKES

hope this helps

jjw

p.s. i learned all this shooting 20,000 birds a year at sporting clay's. those guys had this stuff figured to a gnat's ass.

Edited by jjw

• 2 weeks later...

I use Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics, 7.5, 1200 or 1250 FPS. The hulls are really consistent, and are readily available.

The biggest issue I see with the super cheap shells is inconsistent crimp, which can cause major feeding issues. I’ve opened boxes of federal top gun and found shot rolling around in the bottom of the box.

I like AA 2 3/4 dram, 1 1/8 oz, 1145 fps, in a tube fed shotgun, and Remington STS, with the same load for box-fed gun.

Never had to take more than 3 shots on a spinner. Timing is more important than power.

Cheap shells are inconsistent.

Figure how much your gas, match fee, motel room cost, and premium shotgun shells will look cheap.

While there are some real fine loads from various makers I use Federal Gold Medal match. Federal ammo has won more Clay type matches than any other types combined and this speaks to their consistency. I found that I could run one choke step more open and get the same pattern I got from other brands more constricted. That is a great example of good construction and consistency that I haven't found in any other types of shell.

2 hours ago, kurtm said:

While there are some real fine loads from various makers I use Federal Gold Medal match. Federal ammo has won more Clay type matches than any other types combined and this speaks to their consistency. I found that I could run one choke step more open and get the same pattern I got from other brands more constricted. That is a great example of good construction and consistency that I haven't found in any other types of shell.

A friend of mine that shoots ATA, switched from Remington STS to Federal Gold Medal Match last year, so I bought a couple of boxes to try. I shot a round of sporting clays with my box fed, 3-gun shotgun, and 49 out of 50 ran perfect, but, I had one light load out of the 2 boxes I’d bought. I could hear and feel the difference, and the empty hull didn’t eject.

Hmmmm.......is that the same "box fed" shotgun that I haven't ever seen run 3 full magazines of any kind  of ammo in a match, or is this the one that runs 100% of the time that you never bring to a match?

5 hours ago, kurtm said:

Hmmmm.......is that the same "box fed" shotgun that I haven't ever seen run 3 full magazines of any kind  of ammo in a match, or is this the one that runs 100% of the time that you never bring to a match?

The first 800 rounds were frustrating. It made 2 or 3 trips back to the builder. When I helped R.O. the shotgun match, at Rockcastle, it ran 100%, and I even saw 2 pump action shotguns puke that weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...