Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TACCOM 2-Stage Buffer Setups?

2 hours ago, TRUBL said:

The rear cush, sticks out 1/2".....you can try cutting an 1/8" off of it

Could I accomplish the same thing by just putting a "shock buffer" on the rear cushion, under the head and, obviously, inside the buffer itself?  Sort of like a 1911 or Glock shock buffer fitted to the end of the guide rod...

FWIW, I actually like using the 2 stage setup, as I can tune it to the load I'm using to get just the right amount of resistance.

Oh, and nice upper, BTW.

Edited by STIboy
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, STIboy said:

Could I accomplish the same thing by just putting a "shock buffer" on the rear cushion, under the head and, obviously, inside the buffer itself?  Sort of like a 1911 or Glock shock buffer fitted to the end of the guide rod...

FWIW, I actually like using the 2 stage setup, as I can tune it to the load I'm using to get just the right amount of resistance.

Oh, and nice upper, BTW.

ehhhh......you could.....it would need to be the right durometer and length.....might de-grade fast.

On 5/5/2018 at 9:29 AM, mahamoti said:

Recently switched from a stock JP 9mm SCS to the Taccom 3 stage.  Other relevant config:

• BCP Colt lower
  • Metalform mags
  • 16" JP barrel
  • NERD Nano comp
  • JP bolt
  • Hiperfire 243G trigger
  • 124gr Precision Delta FMJ over 3.5gr Titegroup @1.15" OAL ~130PF

Could not tell the difference between either of them, honestly.  Recoil feel was basically identical.  Shot placement at 15yds was 2-3" spread as fast as I could pull the trigger.  Both locked bolt back on last round.

I know Tim says he's not a fan of the 308 springs, but I may give one a try, or stack some quarters to try shortening the cycle some more.  Not that I think this carbine needs any help... it's just out of curiosity to see what happens.

I tried limiting the travel on mine using the 3-stage buffer and the trigger occasionally failed to reset, even with as few as 4 quarters in the buffer tube. I probably could have bumped up my load to really force the bolt rearwards but I didn't notice enough of a difference to justify it. 

Edited by Xanatos903
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 8:28 AM, Startingover said:

How was the difference when compared to the blitzkrieg hydro? 

I personally did not care for the Taccom buffer system, with or without a wavy spring and delrin spacer.   It felt different for sure, maybe slight more harsh but I did not notice any difference in the dot returning to target faster, or any dot movement reduction.  Tried it with several spring combo's,  it seems to work well with some people's setups just not mine.   To each their own

On 6/5/2018 at 5:23 PM, jtrump said:

I personally did not care for the Taccom buffer system, with or without a wavy spring and delrin spacer.   It felt different for sure, maybe slight more harsh but I did not notice any difference in the dot returning to target faster, or any dot movement reduction.  Tried it with several spring combo's,  it seems to work well with some people's setups just not mine.   To each their own

I liked it fine, I just couldn't never get it to run 100 percent with my Taccom upper with factory or reloads at about 143 PF. I have pulled all the internal cushioning out and now testing with the main portion of the buffer for maximum travel. 

Curtis

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Does the buffer system they sell now for $89 include the adjustable return cushion or just the standard one?

Wondering if I need to add the $15 part.

Thanks

The latest one is the 3-stage buffer so you don’t need to buy button separately. 

• 2 weeks later...

Read the entire thread and several others. Have the Taccom 3 stage arriving tomorrow using with a Faxon style bolt.

Question: Shooting FACTORY ammo does anyone have experience running with and without the carrier weight removed? 

Thanks Tim for all your support for the shooting sports and sponsoring Nordic and Kirkwold. Was cool talking with you.

7 minutes ago, 3gunnuts said:

Read the entire thread and several others. Have the Taccom 3 stage arriving tomorrow using with a Faxon style bolt.

Question: Shooting FACTORY ammo does anyone have experience running with and without the carrier weight removed? 

Thanks Tim for all your support for the shooting sports and sponsoring Nordic and Kirkwold. Was cool talking with you.

Carrier weight is almost 2 oz, it felt harsher with it removed. 

36 minutes ago, 3gunnuts said:

I am going to guess you want to keep the weight if you are running factory ammo

7 hours ago, HoMiE said:

Carrier weight is almost 2 oz, it felt harsher with it removed. 

Did you try using a heavier buffer spring other than the one supplied by Taccom?

I was also thinking of trying this with my Taccom buffer system and the bolt weight removed.

3 hours ago, JZELEK said:

Did you try using a heavier buffer spring other than the one supplied by Taccom?

I was also thinking of trying this with my Taccom buffer system and the bolt weight removed.

Yes, tried it with tubbs flat wire rifle spring and jp 308 carbine spring. The taccom feels the best with the reduced rifle spring as supplied. 

Ok spent the last hour testing.  Opinion as follows.

Factory 115 gr loads

1) Better with carrier weight installed using Taccom system. Less dot movement.

2) Even better when you run a spacer below the Taccom system to reduce carrier travel. Least amount of dot movement I have seen with everything else I have tried.

Downside is there is a "zone" where trigger reset is not 100% depending on how you hold the rifle.  There is also a propensity for the gun to runaway if you hold too light.  At first it was just doubles/triples but i when I relaxed I got a  6-8 rd burst. removed spacers one at a time until I have not been able to bumpfire it. I am definitely seeing a huge correlation between carrier travel and dot movement.

Thinking of taking the carrier weight back out and repeating what I did on option 2 when I have more time.

4 hours ago, 3gunnuts said:

Factory 115 gr loads

2) Even better when you run a spacer below the Taccom system to reduce carrier travel. Least amount of dot movement I have seen with everything else I have tried.

Downside is there is a "zone" where trigger reset is not 100% depending on how you hold the rifle.  There is also a propensity for the gun to runaway if you hold too light.  At first it was just doubles/triples but i when I relaxed I got a  6-8 rd burst. removed spacers one at a time until I have not been able to bumpfire it. I am definitely seeing a huge correlation between carrier travel and dot movement.

Thinking of taking the carrier weight back out and repeating what I did on option 2 when I have more time.

What trigger are you running?

On 8/1/2018 at 4:52 PM, 3gunnuts said:

Factory 115 gr loads

So tested again today removing the bolt weight.  Recoil was considerably more noticeable and spread increased.  

Also tried with the carrier weight installed using a carbine flat wire spring.  Had less dot movement and tighter doubles but had one instance of either hammer follow or failure to reset. Shooting a match tomorrow and my kid is shooting for the first time so I want to error on the side of reliability.  Will test more later.

4 hours ago, 3gunnuts said:

So tested again today removing the bolt weight.  Recoil was considerably more noticeable and spread increased.  

Also tried with the carrier weight installed using a carbine flat wire spring.  Had less dot movement and tighter doubles but had one instance of either hammer follow or failure to reset. Shooting a match tomorrow and my kid is shooting for the first time so I want to error on the side of reliability.  Will test more later.

You get to a certain point of too much weight and too much spring that you might be short stroking and not enough travel for trigger to reset. 

The flat wire wire springs tend to have more preload and more dot movement.    

On 8/1/2018 at 5:52 PM, 3gunnuts said:

Factory 115 gr loads

I have been hearing the same thing, that less bolt travel = less dot movement.

What did you use for a spacer to limit the bolt travel?

1 hour ago, JZELEK said:

I have been hearing the same thing, that less bolt travel = less dot movement.

What did you use for a spacer to limit the bolt travel?

Stack quarters in the bottom of the buffer tube when doing your testing. Easy way to have a highly adjustable “spacer.”

Some guys make a spacer from delrin rod or something similar, and some stick with a couple dollars worth of quarters.

On 8/4/2018 at 6:18 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Stack quarters in the bottom of the buffer tube when doing your testing. Easy way to have a highly adjustable “spacer.”

Some guys make a spacer from delrin rod or something similar, and some stick with a couple dollars worth of quarters.

Found a round chunk of plastic laying around the shop. Tried quarters but been been turning them concave.  Feel sorry for the vending repair guy that is going to have to fish them out of a machine.

Ok. I have read most of the thread and i still have a question. I have an original CK PCC, which I believe came with the original 2 stage Taccom system. Can I just get the $15 Cushion and throw it on to get the 3rd stage? if not, what else do I need to do?

Thanks!

Ok. I have read most of the thread and i still have a question. I have an original CK PCC, which I believe came with the original 2 stage Taccom system. Can I just get the $15 Cushion and throw it on to get the 3rd stage? if not, what else do I need to do?

Thanks!

Yep, just take out the Allen screws and add the new parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk