Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TACCOM 2-Stage Buffer Setups?

13 hours ago, RocketRyan said:

I shot a 9mm PSA today with the Taccom 3-stage buffer and a hiperfire 24c, this setup was just as soft as a JP GMR-15. I'm highly impressed with how great the 3-stage buffer works. It was easy to group my shots well. I think this is the route I will be going to build my PCC.

That's my setup, but with the 243G trigger.  I'm running 124gr @ 130PF through it and it shoots great.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, TRUBL said:

So I got this JR Carbine last week......gutted the recoil system, made up a spacer to put in the buffer tube, so that the bolt handle would just come back past that vertical BHO slot they cut into the receiver. Also put on a short muzzle brake. We not only got the rifle to shoot flat (which blew me away).....it was soft and the splits at 15yds were less than 3 inches. Now you down south are going to laugh or wonder what the hell is on the ground.....well....that's called snow.  :)

video-1520716583.mp4

Tim, can you elaborate on the type of spacer used?   I'm going to be purchasing the system with the barrel.   I've heard of some people using quarters but if you have done the mod to the same gun maybe you can give me a better idea with a measurement  :)?

I was fine tuning some loads this weekend and prefer the rifle spring on 115gn and the carbine spring for 124gn loads. Both were in the 130 PF range and that was my preference. I would love to have two identical PCC setup with the two different springs and run them consecutively...

17 hours ago, TRUBL said:

So I got this JR Carbine last week......gutted the recoil system, made up a spacer to put in the buffer tube, so that the bolt handle would just come back past that vertical BHO slot they cut into the receiver. Also put on a short muzzle brake. We not only got the rifle to shoot flat (which blew me away).....it was soft and the splits at 15yds were less than 3 inches. Now you down south are going to laugh or wonder what the hell is on the ground.....well....that's called snow.  :)

video-1520716583.mp4

Tim, I have your 3-Stage buffer system in my JRC with the 24C trigger, no brake since I'm in NY (Adirondacks).   Shooting a 125g TBB-TC over TG at 135PF and the results are exactly the same as yours; truly a pleasure to shoot.   I got the same results with AutoComp and CFE-Pistol all at 135PF.   The JRC is short-throated and The Blue Bullets 125g TC at 1.110 works perfectly (all other cast that I tried would not pass the plunk and twist test).   I'm saying your recoil system works best and I've got a load of buffers and springs to prove it!   Paul

3 hours ago, jtrump said:

Tim, can you elaborate on the type of spacer used?   I'm going to be purchasing the system with the barrel.   I've heard of some people using quarters but if you have done the mod to the same gun maybe you can give me a better idea with a measurement  :)?

jtrump, I converted my JRC to a rifle length buffer tube and here is the spacer I used:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/caliber-conversion-kits/car-15-m4-9mm-fixed-stock-buffer-tube-spacer-prod44739.aspx   

I'm sure Tim can counsel you on the measurement he used, but I suggest you use his advice on where the bolt handle's furthest rearward position is under full compression of the recoil system.  I failed to recognize this on my first try, so the bolt handle sheared off on the rear of the receiver slot and I had to screw with correcting that and getting a new bolt handle.   Better to take your own measurement and get it right the first time...   (BTW, I use Tim's carbine length recoil spring.)   Paul

5 hours ago, jtrump said:

looks like 2.06".....for the JR Carbine buffer tube that they use. I swapped my tube out for an odin works zulu and went much less.

Edited by TRUBL
3 hours ago, TRUBL said:

looks like 2.06".....for the JR Carbine buffer tube that they use. I swapped my tube out for an odin works zulu and went much less.

Is the spacer ment to fill the entire tube so that the spring actually does not go past it?   Or the spring goes over it, but the hydraulic system runs into it?     I guess I'm trying to figure out the best way to setup my JP with the taccom buffer system I just ordered along with a barrel.  The objective is to reduce the amount of bolt travel?   I guess I'm somewhat confused again, news @ 11 everyone lol.

I'm using the standard stock that came on my  GMR-13 with Magepul stock

10 hours ago, jtrump said:

Is the spacer ment to fill the entire tube so that the spring actually does not go past it?   Or the spring goes over it, but the hydraulic system runs into it?     I guess I'm trying to figure out the best way to setup my JP with the taccom buffer system I just ordered along with a barrel.  The objective is to reduce the amount of bolt travel?   I guess I'm somewhat confused again, news @ 11 everyone lol.

I'm using the standard stock that came on my  GMR-13 with Magepul stock

JP......uses a std tube, just drop in the TACCOM parts and drive on. My post about a spacer being 2.06" was for a JR Carbine (Just Right Carbine)

Does the Taccom setup play well with a JP bolt? Right now I'm running JP bolts and silent captured springs in both my PCCs. I run factory ammo. I'm pretty happy with my guns now and feel the recoil is minimal. Is the Taccom worth trying? Anyone used the JP setup and switched to the Taccom? Thanks

46 minutes ago, pfcchambers said:

Does the Taccom setup play well with a JP bolt? Right now I'm running JP bolts and silent captured springs in both my PCCs. I run factory ammo. I'm pretty happy with my guns now and feel the recoil is minimal. Is the Taccom worth trying? Anyone used the JP setup and switched to the Taccom? Thanks

I have JP bolt and silent capture spring. and also have a taccom recoil setup.. both work great in my gun, and i honestly cant tell the difference between the two. Other than i paid less for the Taccom setup. 

They both achieve the same thing... it comes down to how much ya wanna spend. 

The Taccom buffer is pretty much compatible with any bolt, since it uses the standard spring configuration.

The JP SCS set-up is not compatible with some bolts and may require that you remove the accessory weight from other bolts.  

It features a "guide rod" that must fit into the hollow section of the bolt for the rifle to function.  If the bore of the bolt is too small,

or the removable weight is not removed, the guide rod will not allow the bolt to cycle.  

4 hours ago, pfcchambers said:

I just ordered the Taccom to try it out,   I have only experienced the stock SCS without changing any springs or weights on it in my JP.   I notice a night and day difference between the stock SCS setup and the Blitzkrieg buffer setup I am currently using.  This is with 130-140 PF ammo,  factory stuff is pretty peppy.

Figured I would give the taccom a try since it used a .223 sping and  I'm currently using the blitzkrieg with a .308 carbine spring,  plus... I'll have a backup if one goes down.

24 minutes ago, jtrump said:

I just ordered the Taccom to try it out,   I have only experienced the stock SCS without changing any springs or weights on it in my JP.   I notice a night and day difference between the stock SCS setup and the Blitzkrieg buffer setup I am currently using.  This is with 130-140 PF ammo,  factory stuff is pretty peppy.

Figured I would give the taccom a try since it used a .223 sping and  I'm currently using the blitzkrieg with a .308 carbine spring,  plus... I'll have a backup if one goes down.

Ok that is good information. I'll probably pick up the Taccom setup to try out.

We are running 2 of them. One on a Taccom ULW upper with a KAW BCG with the weight out. This is my granddaughters. Mine is with a JP 14.5 pinned barrel with their tactical comp & Taccom BCG with weight in. I have run standard buffers, played with springs & weights, tried the JP, really liked the Taccom ULW buffer set up. This 3-stage buffer is the best setup I have tried so far. It is soft, dot stays put and can run almost any ammo thru it. Our loads are 115gr SNS @ 130PF. But we have run 147's @ 135PF and last weekend one of our shooting buddies PCC went down and he used my granddaughters. Shot the whole match with factory 115 loads and loved it. It adjusts to whatever load you are shooting.

gerritm

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Unregistered said:

@TRUBL Tim, if I'm buying a CK arms PCC rifle, does their buffer system already come with the cushion?

I ordered a CK last night and I was told the new rifles are shipping with the three piece setup. FWIW.

On 3/11/2018 at 5:26 PM, TRUBL said:

Tim,

I'm running the same setup.  Which spring did you use?  The one that came with the 2-stage or the one that came with the stock?  Did you leave the Odin Works 2nd spring in the Zulu tube?  What was the 2.06" measurement you posted?

Thanks,

BC

• 4 weeks later...

The Taccom 3-stage buffer buffer looks like a worthwhile upgrade. I've read this whole thread but want to make sure so I'll ask. Are the new versions of this buffer modified so the last round bold hold open device can still work? I would be using this in a 1990s Colt AR-15 9mm with a carbine buffer tube. Apologies if this has already been addressed by Taccom or any other posters. BTW, we are limited to 10 rounds (period) in Hawaii so having a bolt-hold is very helpful. Thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, surfmaster said:

The Taccom 3-stage buffer buffer looks like a worthwhile upgrade. I've read this whole thread but want to make sure so I'll ask. Are the new versions of this buffer modified so the last round bold hold open device can still work? I would be using this in a 1990s Colt AR-15 9mm with a carbine buffer tube. Apologies if this has already been addressed by Taccom or any other posters. BTW, we are limited to 10 rounds (period) in Hawaii so having a bolt-hold is very helpful. Thanks in advance. 

I think it was previously discussed (maybe not in this thread) that the bolt hold open won't work with the TACCOM bolt, but I personally don't have a LRBHO so I can't say for sure.  

2 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I think it was previously discussed (maybe not in this thread) that the bolt hold open won't work with the TACCOM bolt, but I personally don't have a LRBHO so I can't say for sure.  

I dropped one of these in my PSA 9mm and it is working great, just need to mess with the load a bit.  I found that with mine I can pull back on the charging handle and just get the bolt back far enough to engage the bolt hold open. Not easy to do quickly and with  lots more pressure on the bolt hold open than normal I don't plan on doing it much but was surprised when I could actually do it.  Probably one of those things that is gun specific depending on the parts used.

Recently switched from a stock JP 9mm SCS to the Taccom 3 stage.  Other relevant config:

• BCP Colt lower
  • Metalform mags
  • 16" JP barrel
  • NERD Nano comp
  • JP bolt
  • Hiperfire 243G trigger
  • 124gr Precision Delta FMJ over 3.5gr Titegroup @1.15" OAL ~130PF

Could not tell the difference between either of them, honestly.  Recoil feel was basically identical.  Shot placement at 15yds was 2-3" spread as fast as I could pull the trigger.  Both locked bolt back on last round.

I know Tim says he's not a fan of the 308 springs, but I may give one a try, or stack some quarters to try shortening the cycle some more.  Not that I think this carbine needs any help... it's just out of curiosity to see what happens.

Interesting.  I was running a Taccom upper with the Taccom 3 stage buffer, using a 115 gr bullet at around 132 PF, and found there was *too* much dampening.  Didn't have enough force to reliably eject the spent case.  Went back to the original 2 stage setup for the buffer (mine was before they started selling the 3 stage), set the adjustment to around the middle of pre-tension,  and now it runs fine.

On 3/12/2018 at 12:54 PM, jtrump said:

How was the difference when compared to the blitzkrieg hydro? 

On 5/5/2018 at 10:42 AM, STIboy said:

Interesting.  I was running a Taccom upper with the Taccom 3 stage buffer, using a 115 gr bullet at around 132 PF, and found there was *too* much dampening.  Didn't have enough force to reliably eject the spent case.  Went back to the original 2 stage setup for the buffer (mine was before they started selling the 3 stage), set the adjustment to around the middle of pre-tension,  and now it runs fine.

The rear cush, sticks out 1/2".....you can try cutting an 1/8" off of it