Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TACCOM 2-Stage Buffer Setups?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed, the spring bind is not a problem -- I stated that I tested that and found there wasn't any spring bind.  The problem is that the buffer is now too long to function as before.  I took out the cushion and replaced it with the original hex screw and it functions fine without the additional length of the cushion.

I would like to continue this discussion in order to get a better resolution.  1st, from your website:
  • For carbine buffer tubes only
  • For use in blow back actions only
  • Comes with TACCOM Rifle spring
  • 6.2 ounces
  • 2 stage action
  • Allows for the BHO to functioin
  • Also available with the “3rd” cushion stage
So, with no other information to the contrary that I have found (I read everything I could find) the BHO was initially designed to work.  Your "Bottom line" statement has no bearing on anything about your buffer.  I don't even know why you wrote it.  I am sure I am not the only person that would like LRBHO or to be able to easily lock the slide back and not have to release it by slamming the heal of their hand against the bolt release. 

As I said, your addition of the cushion lengthened the buffer and I feel this is the cause of the problem.  I suggested trimming the piston the amount the cushion lengthened the buffer could be a solution.  You suggest taking out the delrin pad to allow for more space for the longer buffer setup.  I can see this could be a solution, but I would rather keep the delrin pad.

I am going to trim the end of the piston (the end that hits the delrin pad) the thickness that was added by the cushion.  All I want to know is if you feel there would be any detriment to doing this as far as mechanics or safety.

Thanks

PS, if this works as I feel it should, I think that you should offer a shorter piston to your customers with the cushion.  Not everyone has a mill, like I do.  This would only enhance your well earned (from what I have read) reputation.

Shortening the piston will not do anything. You need to shorten the overall compressed assembly the amount the cushion added from the main buffer body. I would suggest the end the cushion is on.

I am pretty sure that the length of the buffer is what limits the compressed travel.  The buffer hits bottom before the recoil spring coil-binds, even with a rifle spring.  The pad was added after the buffer was designed and increased the collapsed length to the point that locking the bolt back is not assured.  Removing the pad brings you back to the original design length.

If you wanted to do that, I am pretty sure you could fill the inner tube with washers and remove the pad.  The buffer would impact the stack of washers and not get stuck in the tube.  I am not sure how strong the pad is, and if it can withstand the long term punishment of the buffer while being only supported around the edge. 

OK, modified and tested.  This turned out to be a very easy modification and keeps full function of the original design.

After looking at the whole setup, I felt that the dynamics might be changed (for better or worse, I don't know) if I milled some clearances on the cushion, piston or even the buffer itself.  Then it occured to me that the setup was bottoming out against the delrin pad.  And the delrin pad was plenty thick enough to take off the additional amount that was added by the cushion.  So, when I trimmed the delrin pad, everything fit, LRBHO works fine and I can lock back the bolt, although it is harder to release due the the additional pressure of the compressed buffer internal spring - inherent to the design and not changeable.

So, you don't have to remove the delrin pad, just trim it.  When you do, you will have the exact lengths of the original design.

So, yesterday I compared it to my current (20.1 oz, 4",  dead blow buffer and flat wound carbine spring).  The Taccom feels softer shooting.  I could find no difference in my double taps due to a difference in movement.  This could be the way I hold my PCC or other factors.  Since I feel my double taps are about as good as I can get, no matter what I shoot, I am staying with my original setup because all my AR9's are built that way and I'm not going to spend extra $ to change all of them.

4 hours ago, BartCarter said:

OK, modified and tested.  This turned out to be a very easy modification and keeps full function of the original design.

After looking at the whole setup, I felt that the dynamics might be changed (for better or worse, I don't know) if I milled some clearances on the cushion, piston or even the buffer itself.  Then it occured to me that the setup was bottoming out against the delrin pad.  And the delrin pad was plenty thick enough to take off the additional amount that was added by the cushion.  So, when I trimmed the delrin pad, everything fit, LRBHO works fine and I can lock back the bolt, although it is harder to release due the the additional pressure of the compressed buffer internal spring - inherent to the design and not changeable.

So, you don't have to remove the delrin pad, just trim it.  When you do, you will have the exact lengths of the original design.

So, yesterday I compared it to my current (20.1 oz, 4",  dead blow buffer and flat wound carbine spring).  The Taccom feels softer shooting.  I could find no difference in my double taps due to a difference in movement.  This could be the way I hold my PCC or other factors.  Since I feel my double taps are about as good as I can get, no matter what I shoot, I am staying with my original setup because all my AR9's are built that way and I'm not going to spend extra $ to change all of them.

so your double taps are the same times........but what about the distance between first and second round.......you mentioned it being softer, and as a rule, if it feels softer, something else is happening like maybe not as much jump.....which would mean less distance between 1st and 2nd round. It sound like from what you are saying it wouldn't matter what firearm you are shooting, it's the same speed....that's cool. My son shoots his MPX at roughly the same speed as his colt set up.......but because the MPX is so much smoother (less felt recoil).....his shot to shot distance is much closer.......are you saying that no matter what you are shooting at this point, it so refined that speed and distance are not changing.....yet one feels softer.

I received my 3 stage buffer a few days ago.  I did not run any comparisons between stock and Taccom as I bought the thing, I will use it.  I shot both factory and 130 pf loads thru the gun, Bill Drill-ish, and it functioned reliably with many different loads.

Comparing the AR9 to the CZScorpion SBR in the same tests, the AR9 is a clear winner for the sports game, slightly less in the cool factor.

14 hours ago, TRUBL said:

so your double taps are the same times........but what about the distance between first and second round.......you mentioned it being softer, and as a rule, if it feels softer, something else is happening like maybe not as much jump.....which would mean less distance between 1st and 2nd round. It sound like from what you are saying it wouldn't matter what firearm you are shooting, it's the same speed....that's cool. My son shoots his MPX at roughly the same speed as his colt set up.......but because the MPX is so much smoother (less felt recoil).....his shot to shot distance is much closer.......are you saying that no matter what you are shooting at this point, it so refined that speed and distance are not changing.....yet one feels softer.

Yes.  At 10 yards, my double taps were within 1 inch with both buffers, pressing the trigger as fast as I could, like a double click on a mouse.  This is with a strong hold and a strong pull into my shoulder and a 5 pound pull on a 4.5 pound trigger.  YMMV :)

13 minutes ago, BartCarter said:

Yes.  At 10 yards, my double taps were within 1 inch with both buffers, pressing the trigger as fast as I could, like a double click on a mouse.  This is with a strong hold and a strong pull into my shoulder and a 5 pound pull on a 4.5 pound trigger.  YMMV :)

I want to add that testing double taps has made me a better shooter. You need to hold a PCC far better for good double taps than getting one good hit on steel. :P

Well the temp warmed up to the low teens today and I had chance to go try out the new Taccom 3 stage buffer. I gotta say I was really impressed with the reduced recoil/dot bounce. I guess it reduced the recoil 30-40%, impressive. It did take around around 100 rounds to kinda get broke in it seemed like.

I put around 200 rounds thru it when I realized I was having trouble loading mags cause my fingers were numb with no gloves on...ya time to quit. I shot my standard reloads and all functioned well. Need to chrono a few rounds to check my PF, but think I will wait for a warmer day. Thanks Tim for another great PCC component. Well worth the $90 price tag IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, 3GLewie said:

Well the temp warmed up to the low teens today and I had chance to go try out the new Taccom 3 stage buffer. I gotta say I was really impressed with the reduced recoil/dot bounce. I guess it reduced the recoil 30-40%, impressive. It did take around around 100 rounds to kinda get broke in it seemed like.

I put around 200 rounds thru it when I realized I was having trouble loading mags cause my fingers were numb with no gloves on...ya time to quit. I shot my standard reloads and all functioned well. Need to chrono a few rounds to check my PF, but think I will wait for a warmer day. Thanks Tim for another great PCC component. Well worth the $90 price tag IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you replace with the 3 Stg buffer?   

5 hours ago, L9X25 said:

What did you replace with the 3 Stg buffer?   

+1 and +1.  I continue to be impressed with the 3-stage setup.  I conducted a second set of four 15-yard Bill Drill runs and had only one Charlie this time with times similar to the first set I ran last week.  It was about 38-degrees here in Florida when I ran the most recent test so the Charlie could have been due to my whole body shivering.  :D

7 hours ago, XD Niner said:

+1 and +1.  I continue to be impressed with the 3-stage setup.  I conducted a second set of four 15-yard Bill Drill runs and had only one Charlie this time with times similar to the first set I ran last week.  It was about 38-degrees here in Florida when I ran the most recent test so the Charlie could have been due to my whole body shivering.  :D

Thirty-eight degrees in Florida? Where in the hell am I going to get oranges next year? :o

12 hours ago, XD Niner said:

Right now in Massachusetts we'd call that a heat wave.  ;)

I'm just sticking my toe into the PCC water. As a result, a lot of the dialog in this thread is Greek to me.

I've decided to buy a complete Taccom upper to use with my CT legal lower. It seems that there is a consensus here with respect to what works best in a particular configuration. Can someone be kind enough to summarize what parts I need to buy to make one of these uppers work reliably. I do reload and would like to use my pistol ammo in this setup. For my DVC Steel gun I'm running 124 gr Precision Delta JHP over 6.4 gr HS6 @ 1.165 COAL.

49 minutes ago, tomv said:

I'm just sticking my toe into the PCC water. As a result, a lot of the dialog in this thread is Greek to me.

I've decided to buy a complete Taccom upper to use with my CT legal lower. It seems that there is a consensus here with respect to what works best in a particular configuration. Can someone be kind enough to summarize what parts I need to buy to make one of these uppers work reliably. I do reload and would like to use my pistol ammo in this setup. For my DVC Steel gun I'm running 124 gr Precision Delta JHP over 6.4 gr HS6 @ 1.165 COAL.

If you've bought a complete upper then all you need is an optic sight, some ammo, and a trip to the range.

It's all down hill from there.

1 hour ago, tomv said:

Hello: Depending on the bullet profile that maybe a little too long for the barrel and possible the mags. If you have a 16" barrel then you will be shooting major out of it with that load. If it is a short barrel then it maybe a little higher power factor than you would like in a PCC. I would load just for your PCC and use a faster powder than HS-6. Thanks, Eric