Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low PF factory .45acp that still exceeds 165?

JGus

I have a Dillon 650 and load 9mm and .40s&w. But i wondered if anyone has chrono'ed any factory .45acp that has a low pf (~170 or so) but still meets min 165 pf? I don't shoot single stack enough to want to spend time loading for it, and don't want to have to buy a dozen or more factory ammo brands to chrono. So thought i'd draw on the collective experience of the group.  Thanks.

19 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

Federal redbox doesn't even get to PF.  Comes in around 150PF.  It is the stuff they sell with the SPP.  I haven't chronoed any other brands.

Matt, sounds interesting but i'd need something to meet major min pf.

Freedom claims that their standard 230gr goes around 830 (190 PF), their Hush line goes 790 (181 PF), and their ProMatch goes 765 (175 PF). I've only tried the standard stuff and found it to be totally acceptable in a stock RIA .45.

5 hours ago, matteekay said:

Freedom claims that their standard 230gr goes around 830 (190 PF), their Hush line goes 790 (181 PF), and their ProMatch goes 765 (175 PF). I've only tried the standard stuff and found it to be totally acceptable in a stock RIA .45.

I didn't realize Freedom had a ProMatch line for competition? I'll have to check it out. I'm guessing there isn't any factory .45 ammo that isn't competition specific that will have a 170-180 power factor.

wilson combat ammo was the best for this out of the two 1911's i shot stuff through. most stuff listed as "power factor competition ammo" was still coming in hot at like 190pf. atlanta arms, precision delta, american eagle and another i can't remember. only the wilson stuff i chronoed and then decided to use for match ammo actually came in close to 170, 172pf in my guns.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/45-ACP-Remanufactured-200-gr-Hornady-HAP-850-FPS-5-Barrel-400-Bulk/productinfo/RA45-200-HAP/

15 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

wilson combat ammo was the best for this out of the two 1911's i shot stuff through. most stuff listed as "power factor competition ammo" was still coming in hot at like 190pf. atlanta arms, precision delta, american eagle and another i can't remember. only the wilson stuff i chronoed and then decided to use for match ammo actually came in close to 170, 172pf in my guns.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/45-ACP-Remanufactured-200-gr-Hornady-HAP-850-FPS-5-Barrel-400-Bulk/productinfo/RA45-200-HAP/

Wow!  Surprised the "competition" ammo of some of the manufacturers is coming in around 190 pf. Good info to know.  Thanks.

A few years ago I chrono'd factory 45ACP ammo.  Here are the results.

Federal American Eagle  -  Velocity - 866.6fps = 199000PF

Winchester White Box - Velocity - 853.0fps = 196000PF

Remington UMC - Velocity - 852.2fps = 193000PF

CCI Blazer Brass - Velocity - 742.5fps = 170798PF

Tula - Velocity - 761.0fps = 175030PF

The Federal, Winchester and Remington were fine to shoot.

The Tula was OK.

The CCI Blazer Brass had the severest recoil of all

These were all fired from an STI Trojan.  10 round data.

The Fed, Win and Rem were fired on the same day.

Hope this helps and YMMV.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:44 PM, Distant Thunder said:

You could check with Atlanta Arms and Ammo.

Their 185 grain JHP Elite might be something to consider. I recently tested it in two Colt and one Ruger 1911 and it was the most accurate in all three, and the softest recoiling factory .45 ACP among the loads I tested.

8 hours ago, RePete said:

A few years ago I chrono'd factory 45ACP ammo.  Here are the results.

Federal American Eagle  -  Velocity - 866.6fps = 199000PF

Winchester White Box - Velocity - 853.0fps = 196000PF

Remington UMC - Velocity - 852.2fps = 193000PF

CCI Blazer Brass - Velocity - 742.5fps = 170798PF

Tula - Velocity - 761.0fps = 175030PF

The Federal, Winchester and Remington were fine to shoot.

The Tula was OK.

The CCI Blazer Brass had the severest recoil of all

These were all fired from an STI Trojan.  10 round data.

The Fed, Win and Rem were fired on the same day.

Hope this helps and YMMV.

Great info!! Very helpful.  Thanks.

5 hours ago, GOF said:

Their 185 grain JHP Elite might be something to consider. I recently tested it in two Colt and one Ruger 1911 and it was the most accurate in all three, and the softest recoiling factory .45 ACP among the loads I tested.

Did you happen to chrono the ammo?  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Steel cased ammo tends to be loaded a bit light. The ones I’ve actually spent / wasted time chrono-ing came out to “around” 750FPS for 230gr Ball, albeit pretty inconsistently so between brands (high / irregular StDev). 

Wouldn’t recommend using it heavily in a nice barrel, as it’s usually bi-metal jacketed (zinc or copper plated steel alloy jacket). Getting zinc fouling out of a barrel is not easy w/o abrasives , as it tends to stick very well to Steel, & none of the common bore solvents attack it. Also, the Steel case has a higher friction coefficient vs Brass (even w/ the polymer coating), which can cause issues w/ nose diving / feeding / timing.

I’m sure you already know this, but if you already reload for 9 & 40, you probably already have powder that’s compatible w/ 45. Considering the falling / stabilizing price of ammo these days, reloading 45 is your biggest bang for the buck in savings compared to 9 or 40, especially if you’re trying to find specialty “match” grade 45. When I owned a 650 w/ none of the auto-feeders, could crank thru a box of 500 bullets in about 1.5 - 2 hours for a savings of around $100, which is more than I make a per hour at work. 

• 1 year later...

Here are the PF's for the factory ammo I chrono'd in 2011.

All 230gr FMJ.

Fed                     199

WWB                  196

Rem UMC          193

Blazer Brass      174

The Blazer Brass had the hardest recoil because, I believe, they use a very fast burning powder.

I’ll have to loook for some of those 185 Winchester’s.  199pf from the AE stuff is just nutty.

Very interesting that the blazer stuff has a harsher recoil.  Will keep that in mind when I get around to loading for the 45.