Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Waterproof Durable Grip Tape?

Joeg26er

Best Waterproof Durable Grip Tape?

Tried the 3M safety walk and the grit comes off after a few weeks and is now totally gone on the inside face of my grip when carried IWB

Anyone have a more durable grip tape suggestion based on long term use for IWB CCW and USPSA use?

Thanks

Edited by Joeg26er

I quit using grip tape on carry pistol for the same reason. 

Some swear by talon grip. I. Ever tried it. 

I finally just stippled the plasitc frame bottom feeder.  Should have done it years ago. 

Once the iron is hot, you're committed. I would use a very fine tip, light pressure, and high heat. Take your time and it will be fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

While it's not skateboard tape, I've had excellent results with Brooks Tactical Agrip.  It's a suede like grip wrap that works very well at increasing your grip, but still allows you to easily change your grip.  Since it's soft and not abrasive, it would be ideal for your IWB carry.  It's waterproof, and works regardless of whether your hands are wet, oily, or dry.  It is easily removable if you want to.  I've run it on S*I Limited guns, S*I Open guns, Glocks, & XD's.  On my S*I's it lasts about 50+ matches, then I replace it.  It comes pre-cut for a variety of guns.  For my S*I's I use the 1911 pattern and it fits fine.  The Glock & XD patterns also fit very well.  The only secret to a good install, is don't try stretching the wrap to get a better, tighter seal.  If you stretch it, it will just eventually pull back to it's original size.  Just lay it down without stretching it and then 'burnish' it into place with a smooth piece of plastic like the cap of a big Sharpie marking pen.

http://www.brookstactical.com/index.html

Amazon Brooks Tactical Agrip

Edited by Ming the Merciless

• 3 weeks later...

Tried the Angel grip tape from Amazon and it does NOT stick very well on my glocks. Have to use super glue which I really don't like to do.

Grip seems much better though than the 3M  Safety Walk which has very good grip.

The grip tape that I get from the UK wears out after 6 months or so of use and then I have to get white knuckles

to tear it off. I then clean my 17 or 34 grip area with alcohol - rub real hard and then apply new pre-cut grip tape.

Cut to size by me. Surface areas of grip must be VERY clean before applying the new grip tape.

I use Black Magic skateboard tape. You can usually get a long sheet of it for a few bucks. Cut out what you need and use a heat gun to heat it up and push it into place. After that it sticks until you intentionally rip it off.

A hair drier can work but they usually don't get hot enough to do a good job. A heat gun is best. They are usually only $20 - $30 at a local hardware store so its not like a huge expense to get one. If you can afford to buy a gun, ammo and all its associated gear then the cost of a heat gun to do the job right is a drop in the bucket.