Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a cleaner powder to try in my 929

shoots100

sign up for a fedex account and you have the delivery window set up for a two hour window, cost $5 but worth it sometimes for large or signature required items.

13 hours ago, shoots100 said:

Well it looks like I'll be waiting till next week to load with the N320.

FedEx decided that a good time to make a signature required delivery was Friday at 9:45 AM !

My uncle stayed at the house and waited for them to return, but they never attempted to make a second delivery.

DRAT, Foiled Again  !!!

SJC

4 hours ago, Kmargetta said:

sign up for a fedex account and you have the delivery window set up for a two hour window, cost $5 but worth it sometimes for large or signature required items.

Exactly what I did and hopefully I'll be reloading Tuesday night.

4 hours ago, Kmargetta said:

I have tightgroup and have N320 coming in next week. Will try both and see which I prefer.

Fellow shooters that us the same 929 gun, run 3.9 N320 and 3.0 TG with the 160 Bayou or similar coated bullet to make Minor PF.

May want to check the N320 load, sounds a bit high.  I use 3.2 N320 with bayou 160's to make minor with my 929.

Loaded 100 rounds with a 3.2 charge of VVN320.

Shot six moon clips. 3 warm, 3 cold.

I forgot to pack the chrono, but the rounds that I kept warm shot at the same point of Aim and had the same pop(as far as I could tell) as the rounds that were left outside in the -2 degree temp.

All 48 rounds in a 4" pie plate at 15 yards, DAO, in frigid weather, with a good crosswind.

The brass in much cleaner too.

I'm very happy as of now.

The 929 ran ok, but the cylinder release was a little sticky at first.

Hopefully the weather will be a little warmer when we open the range for steel plate shooting this year !

SJC

I use 3.2 grains of N320 but I use a 160 bullet sized .358.  The same bullet I use in my .38 Short Colt.  I get a few more FPS from this load but the accuracy is fantastic.

Cylinder and barrel stay clean for an entire Steel Challenge match and the cylinder stays cool.

I started out with a safe charge to see how the powder works and have already loaded rounds with 3.4, 3.5 and 3.6 grns for testing.

Once I get my 617 out from the NY waiting period jail cell, I'll head up to the range and will try not to forget the chrono this time.

SJC

shoots 100 looking forward to seeing how you make out with N320. I have just shy of 4 pounds of it. I know we are talking about 9mm in a 929 (I have two 929s).

I loaded up 500 rounds of 38 spl using 3.6g N320 and 147g plated and have all kinds of fouling issues after a few shots. 10 shots and I cannot close the cylinder, debris under the star. The same bullet/cartridge with 3.4g TG clean as a whistle but as others report it gets hot. So I think for this application I need to up the charge a bit to get it to burn cleaner. I want to be open minded with this powder.

What velocities are you aiming for?  Some powders will clean up if velocities are closer to max.

I like Titegroup and even better is Bullseye for cleanliness.

I haven't tried a lot of different powders, I found Alliant early on and stuck with them for most pistol applications.

Unique is about the dirtiest powder I use, but it is very versatile.

3.3gr Bullseye with a 150gr Blue Bullet. Slightly modified from my 3gun load because of the cylinder gap, but so far no problems at all. Only 500-600 rounds in though. I was using Titegroup or 231 for the longest time but it would make a smokescreen. I forget which.

• 2 weeks later...
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 8:47 AM, firewood said:

shoots 100 looking forward to seeing how you make out with N320. I have just shy of 4 pounds of it. I know we are talking about 9mm in a 929 (I have two 929s).

I loaded up 500 rounds of 38 spl using 3.6g N320 and 147g plated and have all kinds of fouling issues after a few shots. 10 shots and I cannot close the cylinder, debris under the star. The same bullet/cartridge with 3.4g TG clean as a whistle but as others report it gets hot. So I think for this application I need to up the charge a bit to get it to burn cleaner. I want to be open minded with this powder.

I tested three N320 loads last weekend.

I loaded 20 rounds each with 3.2, 3.4, 3.6 grains. 147 coated Missouri.

The 3.2 load had a low of 782 fps, High 799 and a Avg of 790. Brass was a bit dirty, as was the cylinder and barrel.

The 3.4 load had a low of 837 fps, High 847 and an Avg of 844. Brass was clean and no real noticeable residual buildup around the barrel or cylinder.

The 3.6 load had a low of 863 fps, High 887 and an  Avg of 884. Brass was a bit dirty, as was the cylinder and barrel.

The 3.2 + 3.4 had mild recoil. The 3.6 didn't seem to bad either, but It was very cold, with a wind chill keeping it around 5 degrees, so my hands were numb by the time I got to testing them.

I'm going to stick with the 3.4 load and see how it does this weekend, hopefully in warmer weather !

SJC

11 hours ago, shoots100 said:

I tested three N320 loads last weekend.

I loaded 20 rounds each with 3.2, 3.4, 3.6 grains. 147 coated Missouri.

The 3.2 load had a low of 782 fps, High 799 and a Avg of 790. Brass was a bit dirty, as was the cylinder and barrel.

The 3.4 load had a low of 837 fps, High 847 and an Avg of 844. Brass was clean and no real noticeable residual buildup around the barrel or cylinder.

The 3.6 load had a low of 863 fps, High 887 and an  Avg of 884. Brass was a bit dirty, as was the cylinder and barrel.

The 3.2 + 3.4 had mild recoil. The 3.6 didn't seem to bad either, but It was very cold, with a wind chill keeping it around 5 degrees, so my hands were numb by the time I got to testing them.

I'm going to stick with the 3.4 load and see how it does this weekend, hopefully in warmer weather !

SJC

Those numbers sound a little soft for USPSA PF. 

But looking back it looks like youre loading for steel. Did you try a lighter bullet? 115s with a light charge of fast powder feel like a .22  from a 929. 

Edited by MWP

I tried them, but I prefer to shoot 124's or 147's.

They've been more accurate in my revolvers and bottom feeders.

Accuracy and cleanliness is what I'm after with N320, and I think I'm almost there.

I just need it to get around 50 to 60 degrees warmer, so I can test the rounds in the conditions I'll be shooting in this summer, as I want to load a couple thousand rounds before the steel season starts. Come on Global Warming !!!!!

SJC

15 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

For clean it's hard to beat Clays or Clay dot. I load 147 coated in Short Colt brass with it and the wife's and my 627s will go 1k without the cylinders even getting sticky.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Second that

On 1/19/2018 at 10:08 PM, MikeBurgess said:

For clean it's hard to beat Clays or Clay dot. I load 147 coated in Short Colt brass with it and the wife's and my 627s will go 1k without the cylinders even getting sticky.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I've found it difficult to meter Clays consistently in my Dillon 550 powder measure.  I'm usually ~40fps ES with my 9mm Production load using 3.4gr of N320.  With Clays my ES is usually double that and sometimes as high as 120fps. 

Shot six practice stages of steel plate today.

3.5 N320 in nickel plated Fed cases.

The brass is so clean, I won't have to polish them before reloading.

My 929 and moon clips are clean too.

Shoots accurate and now I can reload a crap load for the season.

I too had trouble with any clays powder metering in my 550 powder measure.

With shot shell's, a few grains difference is no big deal, but it's too inconsistent in my pistol presses.

N320 meters great and now that I found it's sweet spot, I'm set.

SJC

On 1/20/2018 at 10:46 PM, VanMan1961 said:

I've found it difficult to meter Clays consistently in my Dillon 550 powder measure.  I'm usually ~40fps ES with my 9mm Production load using 3.4gr of N320.  With Clays my ES is usually double that and sometimes as high as 120fps. 

I"m loading on a LNL and the rotary powder measures seem to do better with flake powders than the Dillons do. 

On 1/20/2018 at 4:56 PM, GMM50 said:

Second that

Interesting. Just cleaned the 929 today, probably took a half pound off the trigger. But I've got about 2k through it so far. Using bullseye and blue bullets. Trying out this new AntiVenom cleaner/lube Strike Industries has out. Not super clean after a quick spray and a wipe down, but it looks better than it did. And I can feel the results. I'll have to check out N320, but I really like this bullseye load.