Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a cleaner powder to try in my 929

shoots100

Hey All,

I've been loading rounds with longshot powder for a couple of years in the 929, using Missouri 147 grn coated projos.

All has been well, but this year I had a few times that some unburnt powder got stuck in the cylinder area and caused me grief.

After removal of the debris I had no issues, but I'm looking into trying different powders that will have less of a chance in leaving anything behind to mess me up.

Next week I'll be getting 3k of the 147 projos and I would like to test some recommended loads before the 2018 steel matches come calling.

Thanks,

SJC

36 minutes ago, PatJones said:
41 minutes ago, MWP said:
Titegroup 

I've always understood Titegroup left the forcing cone hotter than other powders, making for a spicy revolver reload.

In a 625, yes I agree. In short colt or 9mm, I can't get it that hot.

Thanks for the replies.

N320 Powder it is then.

It was unavailable, or $50 a lb when I was testing loads for the 929.

I scoured the usual sites and ordered 8lbs a few minutes ago

If I ordered 1lb and liked it, I probably wouldn't be able to find it available anywhere  ! 

8lbs should be enough powder to test it out and get a good load worked up.

I'll look around, but I would appreciate any recommended starting loads for use with the 929 or any 9mm revolver ?

I tried titeGroup , but not E3.

All the components should be here next week, so it's almost a guarantee that it's going to snow like a MOFO and close the road to the range down !

SJC

On 12/16/2017 at 5:27 PM, shoots100 said:

All has been well, but this year I had a few times that some unburnt powder got stuck in the cylinder area and caused me grief.

After removal of the debris I had no issues, but I'm looking into trying different powders that will have less of a chance in leaving anything behind to mess me up.

I'm not sure unburnt powder is what people think of when discussing clean burning powders. 

Have never seen this issue with my own guns with any powder. 

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I'm not sure unburnt powder is what people think of when discussing clean burning powders.

Have never seen this issue with my own guns with any powder.

I'm guessing that when I'm extracting a moon clip, one or more of the empty cases has some unburnt powder in it, and it gets caught between the extractor and the cylinder.

It's only happened two times and I inspect all of my ammo before and after their loaded in the moon clips.

I'm hoping a powder that burns faster and cleaner, won't leave any unburnt powder around to cause me grief.

I'll find out soon, as I'm expecting the powder to arrive tonight, and I'll be loading some for a range trip tomorrow.

SJC

20 hours ago, revoman said:

Do they make N330 anymore? I was told to use N340 in place of N330. I have looked for N330 for quite awhile and never could find any.

It seems Nammo Lapua is setting up there own distrubitions in the states next year. n330  is said to be on the list of  powders that will be available.

Tom

6 minutes ago, 9146gt said:

It seems Nammo Lapua is setting up there own distrubitions in the states next year. n330  is said to be on the list of  powders that will be available.

Tom

That sounds like good news I will be on the lookout. Thanks 

3 hours ago, 9146gt said:

Solo 1000 is still available to commercial reloaders.

Tom

Sadly I am just a common peasant with an SDB :(

Honestly even if there was a better powder than S1000 it is a matter of convenience, it works great for me and I already have everything set up for it just shove the components in.

Well it looks like I'll be waiting till next week to load with the N320.

FedEx decided that a good time to make a signature required delivery was Friday at 9:45 AM !

My uncle stayed at the house and waited for them to return, but they never attempted to make a second delivery.

DRAT, Foiled Again  !!!

SJC

I have tightgroup and have N320 coming in next week. Will try both and see which I prefer.

Fellow shooters that us the same 929 gun, run 3.0 N320.

Need to verify the TG load I will be starting with so I removed that from this post and updated the N320 number

Edited by Kmargetta