• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, firewood said:

627, 929 or something else?

Those are all 929s. 

929s went 1-6 at the World Shoot. 

A 929 also won USPSA Nationals, National and World Steel Challenge, the IRC, and countless area matches. 

But some people cant get them to run, or good accuracy, blah blah blah

I've been lurking on this thread as I'm just a little ahead of you in the quest: I got into revolver competition as a way to shoot the revolver I bought - a Smith 66 which I love - but as I got further into the game realized that if I was going to be competitive or if I wanted to shoot revolver in other games (in my case USPSA), I'll need to upgrade to an 8 shot 6". The choice seems to be either 627 or 929. Both have their fans and haters. (FENWICK7 has voiced his bad experiences with 929's over multiple threads). Personally, I decided to stick with a semi-auto for USPSA and went up to .40 to go Limited. It seems that in order to tune these revolvers for competition, there is a lot more handy work involved that's beyond my skill or inclination. That's why I stick with Plastic Fantastic striker-fired. They are add ammo and shoot machines.

But if you want a revolver for fun, I still like my trusty 66. Can't beat a standard Smith SA/DA 6 shooter. It works for Classic so I'm still able to shoot the monthly ICORE match. Oh, and if you're considering a Ruger (which I was) they are also fine guns but as my gunsmith advised me: Smiths are easier to tune. Good luck! Revolvers are FUN!

35 minutes ago, jrswanson1 said:

Be different.  Get a GP100 and have it bored out to shoot 10mm with moon clips. 

Started to go that route myself...till i found out the cost and  wait time...cheaper and quicker to find a S&W 610...which is what i did.

15 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

Started to go that route myself...till i found out the cost and  wait time...cheaper and quicker to find a S&W 610...which is what i did.

I know about the wait time, but with the price of 610s now, I don't think the 610 is a cheaper route.  $600 for the smithing, and $500 for the used GP100, versus $1400 for a 610.

3 minutes ago, jrswanson1 said:

I know about the wait time, but with the price of 610s now, I don't think the 610 is a cheaper route.  $600 for the smithing, and $500 for the used GP100, versus $1400 for a 610.

I bought a 610 in March of last year...100 moon clips, 500 pieces of 40s&w brass, de-mooner, gun bag and shooting bag, hopster, and moon clip holders, for $900. I could buy another for $1200 right now...tbey are out there if you know where to look. People are getting rid of them, going to 8 shot minor...Ask around at your local matches.

I have a Chiappa Rhino 5" in 40 S&W that is just pure revolver fun. Shot it in steel matches and as an outlaw in IDPA and a mixed-format charity match. Loaded short 180 gr RN .40 Minor loads for it. After about 900 rounds, it developed a "sticky" trigger that would sometimes not reset fully. Chiappa sent me a return tag, they had it for ~3 weeks, and returned it with an upgraded trigger that has been flawless since, perhaps 800-1,000 rounds since return. It is cool looking, and almost zero muzzle flip wiith .40 minor loads. It may not fit in any game very well, other than ICORE Limited 6 division, but goldurn... it is fun to shoot a match with it.

18 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

I bought a 610 in March of last year...100 moon clips, 500 pieces of 40s&w brass, de-mooner, gun bag and shooting bag, hopster, and moon clip holders, for $900. I could buy another for $1200 right now...tbey are out there if you know where to look. People are getting rid of them, going to 8 shot minor...Ask around at your local matches.

I used to own a 610.  I have big palms and stubby fingers, the trigger reach was too much for me.   The GP100 is just about right for me, and it's lighter.

1 hour ago, jrswanson1 said:

I used to own a 610.  I have big palms and stubby fingers, the trigger reach was too much for me.   The GP100 is just about right for me, and it's lighter.

I also own a GP100...the Smith is much nicer. 

2 hours ago, perttime said:

Where do you get holsters for it?

I have 2.

This one is the best of the 2, made by Ghost I believe. I ordered from Chiappa, took a month or 2 to get.

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/d-accessori.php?id=108

I also have one from multiholsters.com. The paddle seems a little flimsy, but it is working so far. It took 6-8 wks to get/

http://www.multiholsters.com/shop/outside-the-waistband-holsters/paddle-holster/