Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell me a cool revolver to buy

Honeybooboo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like my 625. Great comp gun for Icore, but also a fun general shooter. 45ACP is arguably easier to find than 38, especially if you already own a 1911 or similar. Also the moon clips are super cheap compared with some. 

It is a big chunk of gun. Basically like a 45 colt but with a slightly shorter cylinder. 

46 minutes ago, Distant Thunder said:

Actually the 625 would let you compete in USPSA, IDPA and ICORE with just the one gun. Granted, you might be more competitive in USPSA with an eight shot minor gun, but that's still an awful lot of shooting you'd get with the 625.

Darn shame 6 shot USPSA is dead. Watching some of those folks demonstrate the fine art of stage planning was special. 

I shoot mostly IDPA so my focus is on 4" sixshooters. 

I have done side by side comparison.  K, L, and N frame Smiths each has its own advantages. 

A reasonably well honed Smith is much superior to a Python for the purpose. 

I have read of nice smooth Rugers but have seen few. 

I once saw a Lady competitor  whose husband had considerately equipped her with a Taurus. 

Never seen a Korth being shot. 

I own a Vienna PD surplus Manhurin and do not find it a better shooter than a Smith, except that its rear sight is better.   

If you don't need a 4" sixshooter for IDPA or a 6" eightshooter for USPSA, the field opens up.

Look around, you might find a PPC revolver.  A good one is very accurate with a super DA.  They can sometimes be had inexpensively because the match is kind of fading and nobody knows what a revolver with big bull barrel and sight rib is good for.

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

And the Model 6 Unica is a wannabe Webley-Fosbery

No way. Fosbery is top break and fires out of the upper-most chamber. Same action, better execution. Be cool to shoot a Fosbery though. .455 can make major, right?

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:24 AM, Brian B said:

Important: Recoil with revolvers is very different than with pistols; pistols have recoil springs which mitigates the millisecond of shearing shock of the explosion. I sold my 44 Magnum revolver because I could not shoot more than 24 bullets before the skin on my palms started to tear. I recently shot a Desert Eagle in 50AE and it kicked like 10 horses but it didn’t hurt my hand. The internal springs made the incredibly powerful recoil even, almost smooth and without that sharp spike in force at the instant of powder burn.  I put 100 50AE bullets down range in that one session which left me with: a major dent in my credit card and a spectacular grin for two days. Buy your 617 then get loading blocks,  speed loaders and a lot of cheap bulk 22 ammo and have fun.

It's different even between revolvers.  single actions recoil very differently than doubles.

8 hours ago, alecmc said:

So my S&W 686 will recoil differently if I cock the hammer back when firing?

:P

Not much. But there's different grip shapes, not to speak about balance and vertical distance between barrel and gripping hand.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:20 AM, perttime said:

Not much. But there's different grip shapes, not to speak about balance and vertical distance between barrel and gripping hand.

Yep, very noticeable difference.  A Super Blackhawk is much more comfortable with heavy loads than a super redhawk, even though the SRH is heavier.  Or at least it is to me

Since I have experience with one, I would say that the P&R Medusa M-47 revolver would be a cool revolver to buy, if you can find one.

I had the 4" version. Bought it before going overseas, because if I ran out of .357, I could fire almost any cartridge I could scrounge up.

Luckily it never came to that and I traded it for a Gold Cup after I got back to the states.

I still have that Gold Cup, but I'm kicking myself in the ass after seeing what the Medusa is selling for now.

SJC

A few of my friends shoot the 625, the 929, and GP100 MC.

The 625's have been sent back for warranty work as have the 929's so I've seen issues both ways. The MC guns, I own one, have been 100% from what I seen.

That being said, the MC have no place in USPSA since you would be competing against 6 shot moon clip MAJOR (625) and eight shot moon clipped Minor guns with your speed loading six shot. USPSA has nothing for the minor six shot to be competitive, you give up way to much in USPSA with that type of gun.

IDPA is best for the six shot speed loader as moon clipped guns have to make major PF.

I just picked up a 929 for USPSA and it shoots great, smooth but heavy stock trigger, accurate, easy to shoot. The one thing that bothers me is that the compositor that comes on the gun is not USPSA legal so it has to come off and most say is fouls up the end of the barrel and affects accuracy anyway so it's coming off.

I'd be interested in a 627 if it was moon clipped but since I shot the 929, the reloads are so much faster with moon clips than speed loaders. That alone would pull me to the 929.

You can shoot a 6-shot .357 as Major, no problem.

To be competitive, you'd have to get it modified for moon clips - but still be at a disadvantage against the huge holes you dunk the .45 reloads into. And there's the bigger disadvantage against Minor 8-shooters.

If your considering revo for IDPA then get a (6 shot) S&W 625

If USPSA (8 shot) 627 or 929 iron sight

Steel Challenge (8 shot) 627, 327, TRR8 or 929 (iron or Dot sight)

All S&W all my opinions of course.

There really isn't one revolver that will do it all or even some. Collect 'em all just make your first choice for the cof you enjoy the most.

As far as the 929 (9mm) goes I have 2 of them optic and iron and I have none of the problems you hear about. But then again I'm a piker. If you don't handload then start HA HA! Be prepared to find out that the long double action trigger, even after having the action worked by a pistol smith, is hard to master. Competition revolver shooting is fun though. Fun, expensive and challenging.