Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low Mass BCG

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Joeg26er said:

Question for those running the low mass Whiskey Arms low mass bcg. What buffer, spring, gas system are you running?

I am having some teething / set up issues with my low mass adjustable carrier 2A bcg. Using carbine buffer with weights removed, red extra power spring and dialing back to lock up on empty mag 

but still getting occasional mis-feed. The live round after firing about 2 to 3 consecutive double taps jams tip up with the bolt jammed into the casing midsection

dialing gas down to single shot mode and then dialing up to mag lock back...

JP SCS Gen2 with spring it comes with (I believe that is the black spring which is 80%?).  The stock JP SCS Gen2 setup replicates a carbine buffer with standard buffer spring as I recall it.  That is a Whiskey Arms carrier with a JP enhanced bolt with a Stretch16 barrel, which is intermediate gas length.  

When I tried a TACCOM ULW buffer with TTI light spring, the carrier speed was excessive......rifle ran ragged, very sharp impulse, and would not reliably lock back......one click difference would be single shot while the next would not reliably lock back.....and sometimes do some other stuff that I won't mention, lol.  Going to a standard carbine buffer with the TTI light spring or standard spring worked excellent and was a much smoother operating rifle.  

I would recommend trying a standard power spring with the carbine buffer.  

2 minutes ago, AustinWolv said:

JP SCS Gen2 with spring it comes with (I believe that is the black spring which is 80%?).  The stock JP SCS Gen2 setup replicates a carbine buffer with standard buffer spring as I recall it.  That is a Whiskey Arms carrier with a JP enhanced bolt with a Stretch16 barrel, which is intermediate gas length.  

When I tried a TACCOM ULW buffer with TTI light spring, the carrier speed was excessive......rifle ran ragged, very sharp impulse, and would not reliably lock back......one click difference would be single shot while the next would not reliably lock back.....and sometimes do some other stuff that I won't mention, lol.  Going to a standard carbine buffer with the TTI light spring or standard spring worked excellent and was a much smoother operating rifle.  

Thanks - that sounds a bit like my issues. Narrow adjustment range. I'll add some weights back to the carbine buffer and try again

They're relatively new, but Brownells came out with their own low mass BCGs.  3 coating options, I went with Nickel Boron, and for $130 and 8.2oz, you can't beat it.  1500+ rounds through it, and not a hiccup - it also cleans easier than my old nickel boron one it replaced.  Running it with a JP SCS with the white spring (80%, stock is 85%), and an adjustable gas block - it's beautiful.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/m16-5-56-lightweight-bolt-carrier-group-prod116267.aspx

Edited by Snausages32

On 5/3/2018 at 8:11 AM, Snausages32 said:

They're relatively new, but Brownells came out with their own low mass BCGs.  3 coating options, I went with Nickel Boron, and for $130 and 8.2oz, you can't beat it.  1500+ rounds through it, and not a hiccup - it also cleans easier than my old nickel boron one it replaced.  Running it with a JP SCS with the white spring (80%, stock is 85%), and an adjustable gas block - it's beautiful.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/m16-5-56-lightweight-bolt-carrier-group-prod116267.aspx

Thanks 

what barrel and gas block?

gas port size and gas block setting?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/1/2018 at 12:10 PM, AustinWolv said:

I have a Taccom ULW buffer and spring and also experience failure to lock back on the last round. I will try with a buffer with some weight to see if that helps. I've tried adjusting the gas block forever with no luck. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have always ran JP low mass steel carriers.  I typically shoot a mix of 55s and 77s in that setup.  I have a few set up that run the aluminum carriers and those are set up to run only 55s.  The aluminum carrier with the SCS with a #2 springs is the best setup I have stumbled on. 

31 minutes ago, Clint U66 said:

I have always ran JP low mass steel carriers.  I typically shoot a mix of 55s and 77s in that setup.  I have a few set up that run the aluminum carriers and those are set up to run only 55s.  The aluminum carrier with the SCS with a #2 springs is the best setup I have stumbled on. 

I assume you're using the JP aluminum carriers? What kind of lifespan are you seeing from them?

I'm also using the brownells 8 oz bcg in nickel boron. Its not as light as many out there, but it was $110 and it has functioned perfectly for 2000 rounds or so. I'm running it off superlative arms block, rifle length 18" odin works barrel. Buffer is an empty carbine unit with a rifle spring. I don't know how much lighter shooting a 6 ounce buffer could be in a 10lb rifle, but I know how much lighter my wallet would be.