Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low Mass BCG

13 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

I assume you're using the JP aluminum carriers? What kind of lifespan are you seeing from them?

I bought a couple when they started making them again a few years back.  The two I have are both in similar setups and use the same ammo (14.5 with titan brakes, adjustable gas, and JP SCS).  They are also setup for a 55 gr. bullet at 2700 fps.  So far there are no signs of wear or fatigue.  I'll also mention that you can tell a little difference in aluminum vs. steel carrier.......aluminum being a little better.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Good to know. I tried a cheap aluminum carrier earlier this year, liked the performance but it died fast. Now I'm trying to tell myself spending more money on one will buy some more life out of it.

If you want something in between that may offer more longevity, you may try to seek out a BoomFab Titanium Carrier.  Those worked really well and everyone that I know that has used them had good luck.

I'm a big fan of the JP LMOS carrier in both small and large frame AR's. I'm closing in on roughly 10k rounds on my first small frame LMOS steel carrier and it's held up extremely well. I really see minimal wear and all I really do to clean it is spray a little brake cleaner every now and again and keep adding Mobil 1. I have not had to adjust the factory tune and my rifle runs 77 gr reloads, 75 Hornady factory, 69 gr reloads, 55 gr Federal, 55 gr reloads and a couple other super fun loads all 100% and quite soft. I might be able to tune the recoil slightly less with 55's but being able to run any of that training / match ammo 100% is much more important to me than a sub 5% change in an already light recoil impulse. 

• 2 weeks later...

JP and RCA are great. I actually just picked up a FailZero LW BCG on sale and am curious on how that will perform. I’ve got it set up with a Tubbs flat wire spring, Taccom ULW buffers and an SLR block. 

Edited by MJC082581

I had never tried a lightweight BCG before, so I picked up an aluminum one from Delta Team Tactical to give it a shot (https://www.deltateamtactical.com/3-Gun-Labs-Inc-LMB-AR-15-Aluminum-Lite-Weight-556-BCG-Pick-Blue-Or-Red-Color-Great-For-Lessening-Felt-Recoil-Competition-Shooting_p_8436.html). Also using an adjustable gas block I got from them, and an Armaspec SRS (Carbine) on a 16 inch barrel.

Only about 500 rounds through it so far. No function issues, but the finish wears really quick. I like it for the price, but went with a Brownells for another build.

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/29/2018 at 2:49 PM, Elgin said:

I had never tried a lightweight BCG before, so I picked up an aluminum one from Delta Team Tactical to give it a shot (https://www.deltateamtactical.com/3-Gun-Labs-Inc-LMB-AR-15-Aluminum-Lite-Weight-556-BCG-Pick-Blue-Or-Red-Color-Great-For-Lessening-Felt-Recoil-Competition-Shooting_p_8436.html). Also using an adjustable gas block I got from them, and an Armaspec SRS (Carbine) on a 16 inch barrel.

Only about 500 rounds through it so far. No function issues, but the finish wears really quick. I like it for the price, but went with a Brownells for another build.

Where were you seeing the wear? I went with an aluminum carrier from JP with 450ish rounds through it. I am seeing a little wear only where the bcg contacts the hammer. I took their advice and have kept it seriously lubricated. I think that has helped. 

On 12/29/2018 at 2:49 PM, Elgin said:

Thats the same one that Surmount Defense and Shooting Innovations is selling. Not a good way to waste your money.

The exterior wear isn't the problem, having your gas rings ream out the bore is a big problem.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:43 PM, Adamj said:

Where were you seeing the wear? I went with an aluminum carrier from JP with 450ish rounds through it. I am seeing a little wear only where the bcg contacts the hammer. I took their advice and have kept it seriously lubricated. I think that has helped. 

I'm seeing it along the length of the bolt body, in a few places, and where the hammer rides on the bottom. I'll have to try lubing it up even more.

On 1/8/2019 at 5:19 PM, TonytheTiger said:

Thats the same one that Surmount Defense and Shooting Innovations is selling. Not a good way to waste your money.

The exterior wear isn't the problem, having your gas rings ream out the bore is a big problem.

Thanks for the info! I couldn't find anything on the "3 Gun Labs" bolt, and didn't know about the Surmount Defense or Shooting Innovations versions when I was looking (still new to all this). Did a little digging with this new found knowledge, and found your 3000 round update on the one you had. I'll have to pull it apart and take a look at how it's doing.

All in all, I don't regret giving it a shot. I was able to snag it for just under $100, so while a loss of money, it's not a huge one. After using a Brownells in another build, that will be the direction I go from now on.

On 1/8/2019 at 6:19 PM, TonytheTiger said:

@tonythetiger

Can you post pics of this gas ring reaming out the bore? I have two of the 3gun labs BCG's an have run one on a 300BLK build and don't see any wear. Probably only have 150 rounds though...

@Elgin Yeah I got mine on sale also, it was a worthwhile experiment and I don't regret trying it out, I just wish it wouldn't have kicked the bucket in the middle of a major match. In hindsight I should've known better, in the month leading up to the match I kept having to turn the gas up to lock back. I ended up with the gas wide open and was still short stroking by the end of the match.

@Joeg26er I attempted to get a picture but there's really nothing to see. Dropping a couple different bolts with fresh gas rings in it is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. Barely hits the sides.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

this post will probably get some hate but ive been using the brownells low mass BCG for like 100$ and it has functioned perfectly

its around 8.2 ozs which isnt as light as some but is defiantly lighter than some of the other low mass systems

i guess it would depend on your budget

I just ordered one one of these on Friday. Hope it works well. If not, I’m sure Brownell’s will make it right 

14 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

They arnt terrible

and i feel like at a certain point splitting ounces wont make you a better shooter. 

a 7 oz bcg vs an 8.2 oz one wont improve your shooting

I couldn’t agree more. At least not for the average weekend warrior like myself. 

On 3/3/2019 at 5:12 PM, hlpressley said:

I just ordered one one of these on Friday. Hope it works well. If not, I’m sure Brownell’s will make it right 

I have several friends with them and I am impressed for the money. Perfect for a hobbyist such as ourselves.

I've had very good luck with the AIM lw, but the brownell's are a bit nicer on the finish I think.

I'd rather have JP and a sweet 911 of course!

I have been running the Brownell's LW BCG (with an added adjustable gas key) and it has been great.

Have the AIM LW carrier in another rifle, and I agree that the Brownell's is finished nicer/more visually appealing. Functionally I doubt there's a difference.

• 3 months later...

thinking about how many rounds I put through the rifle with the aluminum JP carrier- some where around 8000 rounds maybe- it was some time ago. It was a fantastic carrier with very little recoil- had an adjustable gas block on the rifle- rifle length gas tube. These carriers are only for competition.

• 2 months later...

I have been running the 2A titanium that has the aluminum tail. I also have 2A steel with alu tail and JP both steel and JP ALU. I have setup rifles with some of the others I picked up off prize tables. So far the 2A titanium is in the guns I run in competition. The weight is almost as low as all ALU ones but none of the wear problems I had with the JP aluminum both wearing the inside of my upper and the gas ring wear and needing to add more gas as it aged. My original one has over 10K on it with no need to add more gas yet and no abnormal upper wear. The finish on the carrier itself even looks really good still.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:12 PM, TonytheTiger said:

@Elgin Yeah I got mine on sale also, it was a worthwhile experiment and I don't regret trying it out, I just wish it wouldn't have kicked the bucket in the middle of a major match. In hindsight I should've known better, in the month leading up to the match I kept having to turn the gas up to lock back. I ended up with the gas wide open and was still short stroking by the end of the match.

@Joeg26er I attempted to get a picture but there's really nothing to see. Dropping a couple different bolts with fresh gas rings in it is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. Barely hits the sides.

I know this is an older post, but - do you still have that worn out aluminum carrier? I've wondered about boring out and pressing a hardened steel sleeve into one of these for longer life, and I have the machine tools to do it. A worn out carrier like yours would be a good one to experiment with if you want to get rid of it.