Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm having FTE and FTF issues with my first reloads

vnboileau

I just started reloading a couple of weeks ago and I'm running into some issues.  Yesterday I took two different batches of ammo to the range along with a Glock 17 and a 1911.  Both rounds (AA #2 and Sport Pistol) were occasionally not going fully into battery and having ejection issues.

I've been checking my powder charges and OAL at different times while I'm loading and they all seem consistent. 

I'm using range brass that I tumbled, Win SPP, and SNS 125gr RN coated bullets.  With both powders I'm about .2g under the max load and a 1.15 OAL

Any obvious reasons I'd be having these issues?

Everything goes bang and they were as accurate, or more accurate than the factory Blazer Brass I'd been shooting. 

FEEDING-Depending on shape of the bullet they are probably too long. Do a drop check on a bunch of them and make sure they do not make ANY contact with rifling.

EJECTION- What kind of ejection issues? 

12 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Take your barrel out and drop several of your reloads in...  They should drop in and drop out freely...  This is called the plonk test for the sound it makes when you drop a round in...

I just tried that with some reloads and a few factory rounds and they plunk in and fall just the same

And I don't think they should be underpowered, I'm using 3.8g of AA #2, which is the max load in the manual.  Same amount of Sport Pistol, and the max listed is 3.9.

Aa2 is a fairly fast powder so there doesn’t seem to be a lot of play on either side of the charge spectrum. However it does seem that you may be under powered and short cycling the pistols. I only say this because It seems that other people are having similar problems. I did a search on some other forums and guys are taking it up to 4.3ish to cycle reliably. Many above the max that you stated. Also compare your oal with your referenced load data. These guys were running them shorter so the pressures were up higher. You may not be building the right amount of pressure to cycle. You said 1.15 correct?  After all is said and done please load with caution! Take extra care especially with fast powders since the smallest change can affect it greatly. Inspect your brass for pressure signs. You may want to do a ladder load. Ten to twenty rounds going up by .2 grains and test/inspect. Seems like it is a good powder but some say there is a sweet spot with it. You just have to be willing to find it. Chronos are your best friend. Happy and safe loading to you sir!

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

My reply to you would be identical to my suggestion in this thread:

http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/256547-occasional-hot-rounds/?do=findComment&comment=2851577

Your advice is sound.  I think his oal is ok since he's at 1.15.  I would like to know what his actual load is.  He made no mention other than he's .2gr under max.  

What specific load are you using?

52 minutes ago, stick said:

Your advice is sound.  I think his oal is ok since he's at 1.15.  I would like to know what his actual load is.  He made no mention other than he's .2gr under max.  

Mixed range brass

Win SPP

125gr SNS RN coated bullets

1.15 OAL

And 3.8g of AA #2 in one batch and 3.8g of Sport Pistol in the other

2 hours ago, stick said:

You cannot possibly know that for the chambers onhis guns, with a nice fat round nose bullet we know he’s using.

Example:

124 RN acme = 1.110” or shorter to fit a specific M&P.

125 TC from BBI = 1.150” plunks and spins effortlessly.

You have exactly zero data to determine if he’s okay on his length. The new Glocks don’t even have the same “chambers anything that fits in the mags” throats that the older ones did.

You always have to test. Every bullet. In every barrel it will be fed to.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You cannot possibly know that for the chambers onhis guns, with a nice fat round nose bullet we know he’s using.

Example:

124 RN acme = 1.110” or shorter to fit a specific M&P.

125 TC from BBI = 1.150” plunks and spins effortlessly.

You have exactly zero data to determine if he’s okay on his length. The new Glocks don’t even have the same “chambers anything that fits in the mags” throats that the older ones did.

You always have to test. Every bullet. In every barrel it will be fed to.

I agree that he has to plunk test.  I was only making an assumption from personal knowledge.  My M&P load is 1.130-1.135 with a RMR 147gr RN bullet. 

Listen to Sarge Jack and Memphis. I especially agree with Sarge on the recoil spring. When using low power reloads you have to tune those. I use a 9# spring on my Shadow 2 and my Beretta 92's to get consistent extraction.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Bummy425 said:

Listen to Sarge Jack and Memphis

And get that chrono. It's a lot easier to trouble shoot things if you,  1. Use single headstamp brass until you know you don't have to, 2. Accurately measure your crimp, 3. Do the plunk test and 4. chrono your loads. And this assumes you are already working off published data.