Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sport Orange Magazine Release

cheby

On a more serious note, don't mess with it until you have installed a thumb rest that actually works (with a plate between it and the slide), cut down the left side safety and installed a cut down extended right safety. Then see what your grip is like. 

On a more serious note, don't mess with it until you have installed a thumb rest that actually works (with a plate between it and the slide), cut down the left side safety and installed a cut down extended right safety. Then see what your grip is like. 

Does putting a plate on the slide move the thumb rest out away from the gun to a more natural or comfortable position? Is that what you are saying?

First I heard of this.

2 hours ago, cheby said:

The magazine release is ridiculous. It is so long that it messes with my grip. Did anybody find any solution besides grinding it? Looks the Shadow 2 mag release does not work.

A shadow 2 release doesn’t work because of the thumb pad, maybe a regular shadow release? I ended up cutting mine down, drilling/tapping, and installing a shadow 2 pad at an angle that felt more positive.

4BAC1A3A-1583-479B-9D92-D68ED362661F.jpeg

EAF79CBA-EAC1-4B78-B88C-22BC7D932B30.jpeg

10 hours ago, robert.a.brewer. said:

Does putting a plate on the slide move the thumb rest out away from the gun to a more natural or comfortable position? Is that what you are saying?

First I heard of this.

It stops your thumb rubbing on the slide as it cycles. It becomes more of a problem the tighter you grip the gun. My TSO is at CZC having a plate made. The recess that the factory thumb rest screws into makes this trickier.

12 hours ago, selecw said:

I was actually going to get rid of the thumb rest  

1 minute ago, cheby said:

I was actually going to get rid of the thumb rest  

I find that a thumb rest has two benefits in competition:

1. pushing down on it while using a vise grip makes the front sight snap back faster (approximately 30% for me)

2. combined with an extended left side safety (I'm right handed), there is nowhere your hand can go on a fast draw except the correct grip

If you don't shoot competition, neither of these things matter.

10 hours ago, Leadpilot said:

A shadow 2 release doesn’t work because of the thumb pad, maybe a regular shadow release? I ended up cutting mine down, drilling/tapping, and installing a shadow 2 pad at an angle that felt more positive.

Now this looks likes like the solution I was looking for! Now I need to find somebody to do this for me since I do not have the tools and skills to pull it off myself:) Wondering if CZC would do it

8 minutes ago, selecw said:

I find that a thumb rest has two benefits in competition:

1. pushing down on it while using a vise grip makes the front sight snap back faster (approximately 30% for me)

2. combined with an extended left side safety (I'm right handed), there is nowhere your hand can go on a fast draw except the correct grip

If you don't shoot competition, neither of these things matter.

Perhaps I need to stick to it for a while ... I have been shooting shadow/shadow 2 for so long and my grip is very high (Kinda like Vogel's) so the thumb rest is on the way... I shoot Production mainly and want to add some Limited to spice it up and shoot both divisions at Nationals next year.

Edited by cheby

2 minutes ago, cheby said:

Perhaps I need to stick to it for a while ... I have been shooting shadow/shadow 2 for so long and my grip is very high (Kinda like Vogel's) so the thumb rest is on the way... I shoot Production mainly and want to add some Limited to spice it up and shoot both divisions at Nationals next year.

I shot a TS with an adjustable thumb rest in Iron Sight Nationals this year. I am a huge fan of the set up. I also have the same thumb rest on my Czechmate. 

To your point about a high grip, this is another reason the factory TSO thumb rest doesn't work for me - it's non adjustable, so my thumb just kinda pokes into it and there is no real benefit. I want my thumb to lie on top of a 45 degree angled thumb rest.

6 minutes ago, selecw said:

I shot a TS with an adjustable thumb rest in Iron Sight Nationals this year. I am a huge fan of the set up. I also have the same thumb rest on my Czechmate. 

To your point about a high grip, this is another reason the factory TSO thumb rest doesn't work for me - it's non adjustable, so my thumb just kinda pokes into it and there is no real benefit. I want my thumb to lie on top of a 45 degree angled thumb rest.

What the adjustable thumb rest do you use?

On 12/13/2017 at 2:47 AM, Leadpilot said:

How is this holding up? I am debating giving this a try myself. Where did you get the spare S2 pad? Or did you buy an entire mag catch assembly and just utilize the pad?

2 hours ago, hurley326 said:

How is this holding up? I am debating giving this a try myself. Where did you get the spare S2 pad? Or did you buy an entire mag catch assembly and just utilize the pad?

It’s been a couple of months and so far so good. I used quite a bit of loctite and torqued it down pretty good. I got the pad from a friend who prefers the original shadow release on his s2.

On 12/13/2017 at 8:15 PM, selecw said:

Does the DAA thumb rest just bolt or does it require modification? I have the IPSC Alex thumb rest and while it is a good quality product it is slightly too far forward for my hands. The factory rest is in the perfect location for me but a little too small. 

Another issue with the mag release  - it is too stiff for me. After 20 min of dry firing 4 aces my thumb is in pain. Probably It is made very hard to push on purpose. If it was easy I would push that damn thing each time when I grip the gun... I have not done any modification to it yet. Anyways, any ideas how to lighten it up?

4 hours ago, 858 said:

Does the DAA thumb rest just bolt or does it require modification? I have the IPSC Alex thumb rest and while it is a good quality product it is slightly too far forward for my hands. The factory rest is in the perfect location for me but a little too small. 

Yes, the gun needs to be drilled and tapped for it, or have an adapter plate. 

• 10 months later...

I just bought my second TSO. It came with the new magazine release. It's awesome. Unfortunately it also came with a different trigger guard. So I had to buy yet another DAA insert for that gun. I'm glad I did as my 1st TSO started double feeding at the nationals and I had to switch to the backup  gun.