Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 for 3 gun AR-10, Socom 16, or RFB

AngelDeVille

I'm getting closer to liking it... I guess I'm not a very ergonomic person...

I took the rubber off of the ace stock, and it helped the LOP immensely.  

I remember I searched high and low for the First Samco G27 grip.... I replaced it with an A1 and I'm much happier now.

My sights won't be in until Monday so it will miss the range trip tomorrow.

I doubt I'll change the forend, it's not the worst cheesegrater I have used, and most replacements cost more than I spend on and entire build.

I'll start searching for some more A1 stocks, it's usually a chore to find some at a reasonable price, I have a metric buttload of screws for them.

image.jpg

I got the Troy fixed front, and the pop up rear sight in, and I'm very happy with them.

The stock is going to stay for a while, but I'll keep the eternal vigil for A1 stocks.

20171221_205019_2.jpg

If the guy ever does get back to me about a trade, I may go for the Socom, but I'm not holding my breath. 

14 hours ago, AngelDeVille said:

I got the Troy fixed front, and the pop up rear sight in, and I'm very happy with them.

The stock is going to stay for a while, but I'll keep the eternal vigil for A1 stocks.

If the guy ever does get back to me about a trade, I may go for the Socom, but I'm not holding my breath. 

You can use a Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock on AR10 receiver and it would give you the same LOP as A1 stock on AR15.  I'm using the FCS because it has the QD mount where I wanted and it also doesn't require me to change out the carbine buffer tube + buffer set up as they came from CMMG.

IMG_7387.jpg.91a1f2c423d99de8a244aa7a2e5bbc4a.jpg

3 hours ago, RJH said:

Fulton armory has A1 stocks

Unfortunately Those are those total garbage US Cavalry stocks.

6 hours ago, PacMan said:

You can use a Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock on AR10 receiver and it would give you the same LOP as A1 stock on AR15.  I'm using the FCS because it has the QD mount where I wanted and it also doesn't require me to change out the carbine buffer tube + buffer set up as they came from CMMG.

IMG_7387.jpg.91a1f2c423d99de8a244aa7a2e5bbc4a.jpg

I would need need a carbine buffer spring and tube with it? I had seen those but I couldn't figure that part out. 

55 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Yes the fixed carbine stock requires the carbine buffer/tube/spring. 

Thanks, I may have found another ACE for cheap, I think that will go on my long range 5.56.

My long range has a 24" Wilson barrel, and even with a scope it handles really well, it may be a 3 Gun contender. It's just lacking a good stock. 

These are my planned Big 3 for 3 gun rifles.

AR-10,  24" 5.56, and A1

20171225_141639_2.jpg

6 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Between the 3 if I were you I'd take the A1 and shoot a few matches before spending any money. You'll see whats being used and have a better understanding of your needs that way. 

That is sound advice for sure, I did know I wasn't happy with my AR-10 as it was.

3 hours ago, HRider said:

Gunny's Surplus (gunnyssurplus.com) is showing some A1 stocks available. I have not purchased anything from them that I can remember, but they have been in business for many years.

Hurley

I have done business with them years ago, I had forgotten all about them.  That's not a horrible price, so I may get a couple. 

On December 25, 2017 at 9:58 PM, RiggerJJ said:

You may want to get a gas block front sight and mount it right behind the comp. Improves sight radius and puts the sight on the barrel where you want it...handguard mounted fronts don't stay aligned with the barrel.

imho

jj

If I could get a triangular handguard on it, I'd switch to a gas block front sight in a flash!

I have a heavy duty scope mount, and I clamp it over the junction between the handguard and upper rail before I tighten the handguard.  It seems to keep the rails aligned pretty well so far.

I got that ACE stock for $65 + $4 shipping, so I made out ok on it.

Thanks, I'm looking for a FSB for it now. 

I hadn't thought of just mounting the block, what a damn smart idea....

I do have a nice adjustable gas block on it now, I can't remember the MFG.  but I am really tempted to try and fit triangular handguards on it...

• 1 month later...

So I am much happier with my ar10 now. If I can find another decent A1 stock I will replace the ace.

The fsb mounted forward may still happen but I will pin it to the barrel when I do do it.

I found a set of troy fixed sights used, and saved a few bucks, and I love the sight picture. (Hk front)

I found an aac flash hider for cheap too.

I recently upgraded my 300aac as well. (Left) yhm handguard, and troy sights.

20180218_113136_2.jpg

Magpul MOE Rifle Stock isn't bad for A1 length stock.  Other option I like is Mags EFX-A1 but that's heavy and bulky.  Lancer makes a carbon fiber one that you can get cheaper sometimes if it's SiG branded (still a  Lancer).