Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Eureka1911

Shoot ALL the Targets Dummy!!!

I took 2nd in my division by .02 points at a major once cause on one stage I completely passed 2 paper targets right next to the steel plate rack I smoked. Durr....

I did this at the Iowa Sectional. Stage 8, the target under the table that I meant to take as my fifth target just slipped my mind. First FTE in a couple years.

I hate memory stages. We have one just about every month at our local match. I always count targets first and then I will go behind the targets and look to see positions in which they can be shot. It helps but I still miss targets from time to time. It always helps when you are not the first shooter!

I haven't forgotten targets this year. There was one that I shot twice. I could see it about half way through, and then at the very end....

I forgot a popper this fall that was white in front of a white no shoot and it was below another target that I shot. They where all in plain sight!

4 hours ago, NamesNotMike said:

I forgot a popper this fall that was white in front of a white no shoot and it was below another target that I shot. They where all in plain sight!

At the contests that I've been going to, recently, anything that is white has been a no-shoot - including steel targets. Shootable steel targets are usually painted yellow.

edit:

like this one I helped RO a month ago. Some shot the white mini popper too...

7.png

Edited by perttime

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:21 AM, perttime said:

At the contests that I've been going to, recently, anything that is white has been a no-shoot - including steel targets. Shootable steel targets are usually painted yellow.

edit:

like this one I helped RO a month ago. Some shot the white mini popper too...

7.png

Unfortunately all of the poppers where white and this one was placed in front of the no shoot on purpose, to get some poor forgetful shooter! My son and I even talked about it during the walk through.  In the spring when the grass is brown the stage planners have been known to paint the steel brown, they're just mean that way!

I have this problem from time to time. Most notably at my first outdoor match.

It seems like every match has somebody forgot a target. I know I have skipped a port with 3 targets. Last match I was at, I had a target I knew exactly where it was and shot at it...I didn't realize that the target had hardcover over everything, but the head...I walked by the target I don't know how many times and didn't realize it until they scored it. It happens.

I've been burned by this too many times. I get all hot and bothered once I start rocking and rolling, then I miss stuff. 

Edited by Cypress

It is amazing to me how I can try so hard to prepare and visualize the course of fire and then forget to engage some targets. This game is so mental...that is why I love it.

I tend to do this the most on stages I build.  Not sure why but if I build it I will shoot it poorly.

I just had a match this past weekend with a shoot house. There was one hidden target that could only be seen from a very specific corner that you would otherwise stay out of to make the transition to the last two targets easier. I walked the stage probably 5 times, carefully counting for reloads (Production), and I don't think I noticed that target a single time. Had I been counting targets I would have noticed I was missing one.

The toughest part is that I may well have walked away with a stage win on that stage had I shot that target. Lesson learned, count the targets for long stages or stages with hard cover.

I went through about a 3 month period of doing this multiple times. I previously shot some of the best matches of my life in limited division and just let the wheels run off the train I guess! I had Shooters block or something. I just zone out and start blasting and run past targets and when the stage was over I just couldn't believe it happened again.

Just started USPSA and last match noticed I didn't engage a target but a few seconds went by so I just figured I would take the penalty, not knowing how huge the penalty would be .... lesson learned!