Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zev Glock Slide w/ Zev internals - 40% light strikes HELP

ckaplan88

So I do have a V4 Race connector, as you say I do run the 4 lb wolff spring which according to ZEV is pretty much like their 2 lb spring.. 

I just got a 4.5 lb wolff spring in from shipping and verified the channel liner is seated properly, so I will just run some Winchester White box and blazer brass through it for another 300 rounds to try to break it in.. ZEV has mentioned to me to put 400-500 rounds down range to do so. During this exercise I will exchange the 4 lb for a 4.5 lb and keep the lightened striker and see how many light strikes I get. If I continue to get light strike I'll exchange for an OEM striker and follow up with you guys on my results and what was causing the issue to start with... it may very well be the crappy Hot Shot ammo + 4 lb spring + brand new gun is not a good combo or just might be needs to be broken in more.. we will see..

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:03 AM, ckaplan88 said:

So I do have a V4 Race connector, as you say I do run the 4 lb wolff spring which according to ZEV is pretty much like their 2 lb spring.. 

I just got a 4.5 lb wolff spring in from shipping and verified the channel liner is seated properly, so I will just run some Winchester White box and blazer brass through it for another 300 rounds to try to break it in.. ZEV has mentioned to me to put 400-500 rounds down range to do so. During this exercise I will exchange the 4 lb for a 4.5 lb and keep the lightened striker and see how many light strikes I get. If I continue to get light strike I'll exchange for an OEM striker and follow up with you guys on my results and what was causing the issue to start with... it may very well be the crappy Hot Shot ammo + 4 lb spring + brand new gun is not a good combo or just might be needs to be broken in more.. we will see..

Please keep us updated.  

Don't settle for ANY light strikes.  Having a gun that goes bang every time is more important than maybe a few ounces off the trigger pull.

2 hours ago, Gabes said:

Please keep us updated.  

Don't settle for ANY light strikes.  Having a gun that goes bang every time is more important than maybe a few ounces off the trigger pull.

of  course  some   shooters  like  me  won't   question   using  federal pistol primers   or  winchester  only  .  i  reload   either  for  the  ipsc   or  uspsa  games  with   federal primers  and  also  winchester  exactly  because  i  want   the  lightest  trigger possible  . the  gain on the trigger break weight is  appreciable  enough  for  me  to  keep  going on with the ideology.  

if  it's  a range  gun only  ,well, sure  the  gain the  light striker  spring  brings on the  trigger pull weight    is  not  that  important,especially  if  you're  using  many  different  ammo  brands   or  don't  use  the  softer  primers   .  

Edited by sigsauerfan

Depends on the goal.  If you want to do your best on a stage, then having a gun that works is the way to go.  even if the trigger is a little heavier.

Practice and skill will trump a gear race.  I went full tilt Zev when I started with my glock but eventually put all stock components back in the gun.  

3 hours ago, Gabes said:

Depends on the goal.  If you want to do your best on a stage, then having a gun that works is the way to go.  even if the trigger is a little heavier.

Practice and skill will trump a gear race.  I went full tilt Zev when I started with my glock but eventually put all stock components back in the gun.  

i'm running 4  fully  zev'ed  guns  in limited . never  had  a  single problem.  they're  100%  reliable  as  long  as  i  feed  them  accordingly  to  the mods  i did.

asks  the top  glock shooters in limited.  they will probably tell you  the  same,and  again they will tell  you  that the mods  performed  to their  guns  brings  exactly  what they were looking for.

the problems  occurs    when  you start  to  mix  internal  parts that shouldn't  be mixed  together.  

jager  this with  lone  wolf  that +  zev  here  and  ghost  there....a  good  recipe  for  an unreliable  gun.

Edited by sigsauerfan

Not to be offensive, but hot shot ammo is known to be pretty bottom of the barrel. Does it make sense to buy cheap on a gun you spent quite a few hard earned dollars on? Is noticeably better ammo that much more expensive? I mean, it's a Glock, it should run anything. Maybe it's as simple as crappy ammo.

15 hours ago, sigsauerfan said:

i'm running 4  fully  zev'ed  guns  in limited . never  had  a  single problem.  they're  100%  reliable  as  long  as  i  feed  them  accordingly  to  the mods  i did.

asks  the top  glock shooters in limited.  they will probably tell you  the  same,and  again they will tell  you  that the mods  performed  to their  guns  brings  exactly  what they were looking for.

the problems  occurs    when  you start  to  mix  internal  parts that shouldn't  be mixed  together.  

jager  this with  lone  wolf  that +  zev  here  and  ghost  there....a  good  recipe  for  an unreliable  gun.

I went 100% Zev and had a gun that would go full auto on the trigger reset, plus light strikes, etc.  I put stock components back in and sent it to Taran Tactical Innovations and haven't looked back.  Not trashing Zev, just saying I would have saved some money just by going to TTI from the beginning.  

15 hours ago, TrackCage said:

Not to be offensive, but hot shot ammo is known to be pretty bottom of the barrel. Does it make sense to buy cheap on a gun you spent quite a few hard earned dollars on? Is noticeably better ammo that much more expensive? I mean, it's a Glock, it should run anything. Maybe it's as simple as crappy ammo.

I don't disagree at all, it just what my local range had for 9mm. I usually buy blazer brass or magtech and shoot that however I didn't have that when I shot. 

I replaced the spring with a 4.5lb Wolff and when I get back from Christmas on Tuesday I will test out the build with data from Blazer and Hot Shot. I have OEM strikers and a 5lb spring to swap out as well as an IDP LW striker with 4 lb spring that works in the G34 to try.

31 minutes ago, ckaplan88 said:

I don't disagree at all, it just what my local range had for 9mm. I usually buy blazer brass or magtech and shoot that however I didn't have that when I shot. 

I replaced the spring with a 4.5lb Wolff and when I get back from Christmas on Tuesday I will test out the build with data from Blazer and Hot Shot. I have OEM strikers and a 5lb spring to swap out as well as an IDP LW striker with 4 lb spring that works in the G34 to try.

Fair enough. I would also try the exact combination you had originally with the hot shot ammo, but using blazer and maybe another one or two other quality brands. You don't want to be stuck being ammo specific, but you never know.

9 hours ago, Gabes said:

I went 100% Zev and had a gun that would go full auto on the trigger reset, plus light strikes, etc.  I put stock components back in and sent it to Taran Tactical Innovations and haven't looked back.  Not trashing Zev, just saying I would have saved some money just by going to TTI from the beginning.  

you would  have  saved a  lot of  money just by  applying some upward  pressure on the  criciform tab  rubbing against the striker's leg.  when a glock  goes  partly full auto on reset  with a  zev trigger, this  is  the 100%  cure.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, sigsauerfan said:

you would  have  saved a  lot of  money just by  applying some upward  pressure on the  criciform tab  rubbing against the striker's leg.  when a glock  goes  partly full auto on reset  with a  zev trigger, this  is  the 100%  cure.

Not sure what a, "cruciform tab rubbing against the striker's leg" is, but regardless the gun runs perfectly now after the TTI package.  A lot of the Glock stuff out there is gimmicky IMO.  

On 28/12/2017 at 1:31 PM, Gabes said:

Not sure what a, "cruciform tab rubbing against the striker's leg" is, but regardless the gun runs perfectly now after the TTI package.  A lot of the Glock stuff out there is gimmicky IMO.  

i can understand  that not  everybody  knows  how  works    the glock trigger  system,how  all the parts interact  between each other.. you can't really ''modify'''  it, in the 
 case  of  the  glock trigger  system  ,  shapes  and  angles  is  where it's  at.

the cruciform tab is  the  tab   of  the  ''cross'''   at the end  of  the trigger  bar  who  engage  the  striker leg ;   when you pull the trigger   the  tab  is   pushed  upward ,  rubbing  against  the  striker  leg,  till it  disengage    the  striker  leg to let the  striker  goes. sometimes, the lenght  of  the  tab is  kind  of ''' too short'''',and the  fix for this  is  lifting  the tab couple microns  to apply  more  pressure  on the  striker leg so  it doesn't  doubles  or  goes  full auto.

since  glocks  are  the  handgun version of the ak47  in the  sens that  their  specs  may vary  just a little  from guns  to guns, even a  well  built  and  thought after market trigger  might not  fit   out of  the  box,and you  may have to  perform such light work to  make it work, but this  rarely happens  unless  you  fiddled  with the trigger  yourself.

Edited by sigsauerfan

7 minutes ago, sigsauerfan said:

i can understand  that not  everybody  knows  how  works    the glock trigger  system,how  all the parts interact  between each other.. you can't really ''modify'''  it, in the 
 case  of  the  glock trigger  system  ,  shapes  and  angles  is  where it's  at.

the cruciform tab is  the  tab   of  the  ''cross'''   at the end  of  the trigger  bar  who  engage  the  striker leg ;   when you pull the trigger   the  tab  is   pushed  upward ,  rubbing  against  the  striker  leg,  till it  disengage    the  striker  leg to let the  striker  goes. sometimes, the lenght  of  the  tab is  kind  of ''' too short'''',and the  fix for this  is  lifting  the tab couple microns  to apply  more  pressure  on the  striker leg so  it doesn't  doubles  or  goes  full auto.

since  glocks  are  the  handgun version of the ak47  in the  sens that  their  specs  may vary  just a little  from guns  to guns, even a  well  built  and  thought after market trigger  might not  fit   out of  the  box,and you  may have to  perform such light work to  make it work, but this  rarely happens  unless  you  fiddled  with the trigger  yourself.

Agreed: i'm no glock trigger expert.  Neither are most people.  What I do know is that a gun that works > gun that doesn't work.

I also know that dicking with your gun and making it unreliable isn't the key to success.  I saw someone on Facebook explain the theory behind competition glocks: "don't try to make a glock anything other than a glock.  There are plenty of people who successfully run a stock Glock with no issues."

5 hours ago, Gabes said:

Agreed: i'm no glock trigger expert.  Neither are most people.  What I do know is that a gun that works > gun that doesn't work.

I also know that dicking with your gun and making it unreliable isn't the key to success.  I saw someone on Facebook explain the theory behind competition glocks: "don't try to make a glock anything other than a glock.  There are plenty of people who successfully run a stock Glock with no issues."

....and  a  lot  of  top  guys   are competing  at the highest levels  with  highly modified  glocks  as  well with 0  problems .  as  i  said,and like  many  glock afficionados  would  tell you,some  parts   are  designed  to  work great  together,some  don't.

and the  reason as  the  why  people try  to  lower  their  trigger  break weight  on their  glock pistol   is  to  be  able  to  slap the  trigger ,  like  finely  tuned  2011's    guys does,  without upsetting  the  gun on  follow shots. once this  is achieved  ,hyou get the  glock legendary  reliability as  bonus ; the 2011 guys  must  work on mags forming,making sure  the gun is  wet...and this  and that, which is  maybe  not  that intimidating   when you know  your  way  around  2011's,but again, a  finely tuned  limited  glock gets  you  an   absolutely   reliable  gun , with a  more than decent trigger.

i'd  rather  get  a  2.1lbs  to  work with than having to  deal  with a    6-7 lbs  trigger pull.  the  difference  being,    even if  you have your  fundamentals  well mastered, a  lower  trigger pull just  make  the  gun more  confortable  to shoot.as  simple  as that.

the point  with  glocks  is  you can built  a  very  fine  limited-limited  10   gun  for  much less money  in a  totally  reliable  package. then if  you  master your  fundamentals ,such limited  glock  can drives  you to  M and GM.....but  a  glock  will  never  looks  as cool as  an SV  or  STI. forget about that LOL

I've had inconsistent results with the Zev Competition Spring and lightened strikers.  Pretty sure the Zev "Competition" spring is just a 4# spring.  Seeing as how I get the same results on a trigger gauge from the Zev to a 4# spring, Wolf or Ghost.  FWIW I had problems with Fed primers too and the 4# Zev combo.  I up'd it to a 4.5# spring and still had issues with the Zev Striker - but I was not having problems with a stock striker and a 4.5# spring.  I got rid of the Zev and went with an IDP striker and had no problems until I wore it out after about 50k rounds.  I measured the IDP and it was now a bit shorter.  I assumed I eroded the tip or it got hammered on and deformed.  I moved on to Jaeger striker and broke it almost immediately but Jaeger sent me a new one. Spring quality changes from lot to lot as well.  I had a Ghost Spring got 15k rounds and a years worth of dry fire.  I had one seemed to go bad in half that time. 

Edited by nwhpfan

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:47 AM, nwhpfan said:

I've had inconsistent results with the Zev Competition Spring and lightened strikers.  Pretty sure the Zev "Competition" spring is just a 4# spring.  Seeing as how I get the same results on a trigger gauge from the Zev to a 4# spring, Wolf or Ghost.  FWIW I had problems with Fed primers too and the 4# Zev combo.  I up'd it to a 4.5# spring and still had issues with the Zev Striker - but I was not having problems with a stock striker and a 4.5# spring.  I got rid of the Zev and went with an IDP striker and had no problems until I wore it out after about 50k rounds.  I measured the IDP and it was now a bit shorter.  I assumed I eroded the tip or it got hammered on and deformed.  I moved on to Jaeger striker and broke it almost immediately but Jaeger sent me a new one. Spring quality changes from lot to lot as well.  I had a Ghost Spring got 15k rounds and a years worth of dry fire.  I had one seemed to go bad in half that time. 

I'm a fan of the stock OEM striker.  I've had no issues with them in any of my Glocks.  

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Update!!!

Sorry it took so long, had some family emergencies over Christmas, terrible freaking xmas break..

Anyways, I have my original setup with the exception of using a 4.5 lb Wolff spring. I had no issues with the gun going into battery anymore, however I did actually feel it being a "tad" bit sluggish, I will attribute this to breaking in the new slide. Now for the light strike part.. I was shooting blazer brass, I shot 225 rounds and only had 4 light strikes! Much much better results than last time.

I think next time I'm going to try the OEM striker and shoot another 100 to 200 down range. Gun now has 350 rounds on it so the slide should be broken in soon if not already.