Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Follow up / Follow through

Ghorsley

I hear the term “follow up” or “follow through” as a good thing to practice. I never have understood what it was supposed to do for you?  

The bullet has already hit the target so what are you “following up “ on?

Did you see the bullet/hole in the target or did you see the sights as the muzzle started to lift, and not when you started to pull the trigger?

you don’t need a target for follow through, most people look for the bullet hole to tell them where they shot went,  which is slow.

Instead let the sights tell you where the bullet is going to go so you don’t have to wait for a hole the target to move on.

just my opinion on what it means to me, which is the same as shot calling

i understand follow through to mean continuing to pay attention to the sights until the gun actually fires, as opposed to moving your eyes to the next target after you start pulling the trigger (but before the gun actually fires) on an acceptable sight picture.

• 5 weeks later...

To me, follow through is more about the control of recoil and setting up for the next shot (assuming there is another shot on the same target). Press to rear, shot breaks, mitigate recoil, release to reset point, tracking sights as they come back into an acceptable sight picture, and repeat all over again. I could be wrong though lol

for  me  ''follow through'''  is , being able  to  get  a  complete  mental  picture  of  all the movements  i  did (right after  my run )   and  what is  coming  (during my run )   , like  a movie  you've  seen and  remember image  by image .

that means (for  me ,only me)    i  don't feel in a  hurry to  go  fast, while    every moves-gesture  (i.e  mag changes,stance on a  specific  target,the way  i  elected  to  resolve  a  stage)    is  known in advance  and  performed  as  decided  without any  stress , which  gives  normally  for  me  a  fast   and  fluid  run  and   accurate shots    . feeling  there's  no  '''blank''  in  what i  remember  of  the  run i've  just done  tell  me  my follow  through was  good.

On 12/11/2017 at 9:16 AM, motosapiens said:

i understand follow through to mean continuing to pay attention to the sights until the gun actually fires, as opposed to moving your eyes to the next target after you start pulling the trigger (but before the gun actually fires) on an acceptable sight picture.

This is what is meant by follow through.